Old Church site.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
I'm heartened by the encouragement of some of you that tell us novices that when you find heaps of junk that the site's been untouched. Well I must be on a winner. Went to an old church and started swinging from around the front door and after 2 hrs had only covered about 12feet from the door and found all manner of rubbish, nails, 22shells, washers, wire etc. I'll go back in the weeks to come to do some more there and I'm looking forward to what MIGHT be found. The church was the centre of the community for decades so chances are someone has dropped some coins over the time. Will let you know how I get on in the weeks to come.

G,day there,, Try 2 establish where the front door was ,,Thats usually where people milled around and greeted people and at funerals they pulled their hankies out to wipe their eyes and out came the coins !!!! or under the trees !!!!This is usually where the church fete was held !!!or if there was an outside dunny !!
L/R

Keep at it mate, there could be some nice treasure awaiting under all that trash.

One method you can try in extremely trashy areas: -
  • Mark or designate an area to detect[/*]
  • Run your detector on low sensitivity OR hover the coil above the ground at approximately 70-80% of it's maximum depth penetration[/*]
  • Dig all targets[/*]
  • Then either increase the sensitivity a little OR lower the coil to around 50-60% of it's maximum depth penetration and detect over the ground again[/*]
  • Dig all targets[/*]
  • Repeat until you've reach maximum depth penetration and dug all targets[/*]

Essentially you'll be removing targets in layers.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks fellas. I'm looking forward to going back there. The site may well extend over the current road that's there as I can just imagine the horses and traps pulling up 20 or 30 yds away from the front of the church or these people tying up the horses and picnicking further away from the actual front door of the church. This church's foundation stone was laid way back in 1884. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks also for the advice in thinking outside the box,re pulling out the hankies out.Great thoughts.

Latest posts