Metal detector advice over $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree if you want to Disc out Iron get the Sovereign If your not to worried about it on the beach go with the sea hunter, they do go deeper being a PI, But the Sovereign is a great beach machine too.

Reading so much has confused me so I'll give as much info as I can to the experts out there

60% of detecting would be in paddocks and around old house sites, farms, etc looking for coins, jewellry etc. Some sites I have in mind would be very trashy with a lot of iron. I'm not one for bringing home horeshoes, nails, or other ferrous junk so I would need the ability to eliminate this.

The remaining 40% of my time in the milder months, I would head to the Victorian "golden Triangle" or NSW goldfields and do some gold detecting, and would also like to do some beach work for coins, jewelry etc. Is the ground at the VIC golfields heavy mineralised? as this would have to be taken into account and the salt water at the cosat

Around where I live I would like to (if possible) go back to the beechworth Eldorado area and detect for fine gold, I have in the previous years found smaller nuggets and there probably still some small slithers there.

I have looked at the following detectors and need to know if I'm on the right track with these or is there something I'm missing

Teknetics G2+
Nokta FORS Gold
Nokta FORS Gold +
Nokta FORS Relic
Makro Racer Gold
Is one better that the other ( I know everyone has there own opinion)
What type of coil would be the best and size?

I currently have a Garrett 300i which I use for relics and coins and is great, but need something for the gold.
1. Do I sell the Garrett and purchase an all rounder
2. Keep the Garrett and buy a Gold Detector

Any advise would be great as my eyes are so sore from reading all the information and watching endless Youtube videos.

Thank you to all

Mick

If I was making the same decision, I'd probably go for the Fors Relic if 60% of time is going to be spent on iron ridden house and farm sites, plus it has conductive ground mode (COG) for the beach which the other models lack. Being 19kHz, it is probably the best compromise frequency between coins/jewellery and prospecting. Whether it will be up to finding the real small gold compared to the 56kHz Racer, others might have some more knowledge on that.

I'd probably sell the Ace300i, can't really see any advantage in keeping it other than as a backup. :)

Thanks Goldpick, I had been thinking along those lines too. I'll see if I can youtube and find a few more reviews on the Relic. Your advise is appreciated.

Mick

So after a little reading the FORS Gold+ and Relic are virtually near identical, therefore the relic should find gold the same as the Gold+ as they both run the same coil at 19kHz?

Mick

I am look at getting a Makro Racer 2 the pro pack comes with 2 coils is a good deal.
The depth seem to be good control easy to manage worth a look at regards john :)

Mick64 said:
So after a little reading the FORS Gold+ and Relic are virtually near identical, therefore the relic should find gold the same as the Gold+ as they both run the same coil at 19kHz?

Mick

Hi Mick,

Just to clarify in addition to the info I emailed you.

If you were to put a 10x5" coil on the Relic, or use the 5" coil on both units, and have the Gold+ on Fast mode, and the Relic on Swift mode, then you'd be hard pressed to pick them apart. The Relic has a slight advantage here as it also features the iMask control - basically a filter for hot ground.

In all-metal, again if both units had the same coil, there isn't much difference except if you want to push your Sensitivity a bit, and as soon as there's mineralisation in the ground then the threshold on the Relic can quickly become erratic. Turning up the iSat on the Gold+ to 4 or 5 helps keep the threshold humming.

So yeah, if you want the better gold detector of the two, go for the Gold+. If you want the better coin/relic machine, and something you can use at the beach, go the Relic.

Hope that helps

Nenad

Have a look at the XP Deus, bit over your budget but with the new V4 nearly here might be worth considering.

Sparra said:
So what did you end up with?

I ended up with the Nokta Fors Relic on the advise given by some of the members and after a lot of reading and good reviews. A member on this site had one for sale so it was good timing. I'm also hoping that it will be good enough if I also want to look for some nuggets.

Mick

Hi Guys,
its been a long time since I have made a post but just getting the fever back again, and after a few suggestions if anyone would like to help I would greatly appreciate it.
I have had a Whites SPP with the switch added for approx. 3 years and found a fair few specs up round the Wedderburn area and various places when we took the 4x4 out up that way around the golden triangle. after a few months I started getting pretty serious about detecting so after much thought and research I bought a SDC2300 in view of going out a lot more and chasing the precious colour :)
However due to family and business circumstances I haven't been out for over a year now and (V SADLY) have just sold the SDC3000 for $3000 never been taken out of the box as I couldn't justify having it there and not being able to use it. I still have the SPP however as I have a little more time as Business is sorted out now I have more spare time and looking at purchasing another detector better than the SPP but not as expensive as the SDC2300. I have been out of touch with what the 3000 and 3500 and 4500 are worth second hand now or what the new whites models are like, I only want to spend between $1500 to $2300 approx. What would be some good options? was thinking of a second hand 3500 or a whites TDI however would be very thankful of any help/suggestions.

Cheers,
Trent.

thanks for that I have checked the videos out on it and it seems pretty user friendly so I might wait.
appreciate your reply.
cheers

Latest posts