Metal detector advice over $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omo

Reaction score
Hi All,

Yes I know the question has often been asked before, but there are new model and things change.

I have a budjet of about $2k and intend to look for gold in WA goldfields.

I would love your hands on, unbiased feedback.

Cheers omo ;)

For $2000 I would go for an Minelab SD2200d. Your in luck there is one for sale on the forum somewhere from another member they come up rarely but great gold getting machine for a beginner.

I'd agree with gcause, SD 2200v2, or 2200D -E.. I've actually seen a couple of GP3000 go for around $2500 (if the budget is flexible)

Other than that, basically you've got the option of something like a Sierra Pulse Pro (SPP) - "New Model" (AKA White's TDI SL) Decent detector, good on gold. probably on par with the 2200 machines minus the tracking option..

anyway good luck.

i dont disagree with the minelab suggestions, another one you may want to at least consider is the garrett atx. looks like a handy machine and waterproof too. also there is a new version of the minelab 2200 coming out (if it isnt out already), i think its a sd2300 from memory.

What about the minelab sd2200 V2 for sale in swap & sell? He has just dropped the price to $2000 in hard case, coils the lot! Pretty hard to knock back if you ask me...

All the above :)
SD's are the go for deeper Targets but
Id say look seriously at a P.I machine. ( Pulse Induction )
given its WA the machine will be used at your in good stead with the above advice, i
didnt want to feel left out throwing in my 1/2 grams worth

KoD

I have a sd2000 and gmt package deal :)
In the for sale section !
You could get yourself a bit of both worlds .
A pi and vlf

G'day all , I have a AT gold at present but when on holidays I am stuck up in dry sand of the beach.
I am looking for a new detector for coins, relics , old axes ect that will do the wet sand and shallow beach water , I have been reading for hours about different detectors-
Ctx 3030 , xtrac , Xp deus ect , can the Ctx 3030 find iron if needed ? I thought I read it masks it out.
It will Mostly be coins & relic (with iron relics at times) but when I go to beach in wet sand and shallow water.
Will spend up to $2500 max
Cheers

The CTX will detect iron no worries and it can also totally discriminate it out depending on the settings used. If looking for iron objects you wouldn't use the Ferrous/Coin setting as that can eliminate iron targets. There is a dedicated relic preset program on it also that would be good for your intended use.

Well you allready have a good relic/coin machine, so why look at a dedicated beach machine. The garrett sea hunter, or equivalent in other brands.

rocketaroo said:
Well you allready have a good relic/coin machine, so why look at a dedicated beach machine. The garrett sea hunter, or equivalent in other brands.
Cheers rocketaroo
But alas I'm a poor man with three young boys to feed, and to keep the peace I would gave to sell the At to upgrade/ cross grade :(

The Deus is more oriented to land detecting, so I would probably cross that off your list if venturing near to or in salt water. The Etrac should cover most of what you are asking, though if concerned about accidentally dropping it in the the drink, the extra $$$ for the CTX might be good insurance. The CTX also offers faster recovery speeds than the Etrac, amongst other improvements/features.

A budget option would be the Minelab Sovereign if you can locate a good second hand unit, though we are talking about an audio only detector, no fancy screens. If you want to keep the AT Gold for coin/relics, a another option might be the Minelab Excalibur (waterproof version if the Sovereign), cheaper than both the Etrac & CTX, and favoured by many beach/water hunters. :)

It will hit very deep, especially with the mono coils, though you will have to prepared to dig everything. I mainly used the 8" mono, which is very sensitive to small targets, still achieves excellent depth, and is a lot lighter to wield than the larger mono or DD coil. The other advantage being waterproof, is that you can safely detect in the water without fear of ruining your gear, and you can just drop it in the wet sand/water when retrieving a target.

Though the novelty of digging stupidly small pieces of wire and other unwanted junk quickly wore off, and I moved to a multi-frequency Minelab detector to reduce the amount of junk I was detecting. This allowed better use of my time when working tidal flats and cuts before being inundated with water again. You do tend to waste a fair bit of time digging bobby pins, tent pegs, and other assorted junk items with a PI detector, and often at great depths, hence why I prefer to have some sort of visual/tonal discrimination to filter out the junk.

If I had my time again, and beach detecting still took up a major chunk of my detecting, I probably would have opted for a CTX for its waterproofing. The Etrac & Explorer are great for working on low tide flats and on wet sand, though could be a bit risky if using them in the shallow water - unless you tether the detector to your body or harness. As previously mentioned, the Excalibur would be a lower cost option to the CTX, it is still a favoured detector for many seasoned beach/water hunters.

Here's a typical Infinium hunt, and the dreaded bobby pins that often come up with a screaming signal. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3910

Goldpick said:
Though the novelty of digging stupidly small pieces of wire and other unwanted junk quickly wore off, and I moved to a multi-frequency Minelab detector to reduce the amount of junk I was detecting. This allowed better use of my time when working tidal flats and cuts before being inundated with water again. You do tend to waste a fair bit of time digging bobby pins, tent pegs, and other assorted junk items with a PI detector, and often at great depths, hence why I prefer to have some sort of visual/tonal discrimination to filter out the junk.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3910

Yep, I can relate for sure. When I'm feeling optimistic I grab the SDC, but after the 20th bit of junk I'm soon back to the car to grab the Sovereign. The Sovereign chest-mounted is such a good set-up on the beach. So light swinging just a coil and stem, drop it in the water, get sand all over it no probs, just wash it under the shower when you're done. A Sovereign and a good fast VLF combo is a very good alternative to a CTX3030.