Equinox 900 = My first detector - For gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just after some advice for my first detector please? My main interest is detecting for gold but i only have time to get to the goldfields maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I have little interest in detecting for other metals however i do live near a beach which I could detect on a weekly basis.

I've been panning a few times in the Sofala area NSW and have caught the bug so looking to get my first detector. My budget doesn't stretch for a PI detector so looking at VLF. I've read good things about the equinox 900 and like the idea of having multiple frequencies to choose from. I figure for the small stuff 40 kHz would be almost as good as the gold monsters 45khz with the added ability of multi frequencies and being able to drop down to 4khz for hot areas or deeper searching. Plus the bonus of being waterproof.

I understand the equinox range is marketed more as a metal detector rather than for gold. That being said would it be a good option for a first gold detector?

I figure when I'm not detecting gold I could use it on a weekly basis at the beach to hone my skills.

Appreciate thoughts and experience. Many thanks.

Ended up getting the 900. Took it out at the weekend and found $5 in coins. Just another $1495 to go. Impressed with how deep it goes on the beach. First time using a detector and the 900 makes it easy to get started. Just learning about discrimination. Have been running a high threshold so I can hear the breaks as well as the beeps.

Great feedback, I am thinking about getting the same as I live near the beach but want to hunt for gold in the ranges when I have more time.

Bloke in Victoria unearthed a $240,000 gold specimen with an
Equinox 800. Just last week allegedly…
(I say allegedly because the cynics will point to big gold finds being reported every year the week before Easter gold detecting season)

Bloke in Victoria unearthed a $240,000 gold specimen with an
Equinox 800. Just last week allegedly…
(I say allegedly because the cynics will point to big gold finds being reported every year the week before Easter gold detecting season)
The announcement was last week, but the gold-bearing specimen was found last November - the full story and explanation is in the post by opal_flash:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...iangle-vic-with-equinox-800.41113/post-666027

Great feedback, I am thinking about getting the same as I live near the beach but want to hunt for gold in the ranges when I have more time.
Thanks. I'll be taking it to the NSW goldfields Easter weekend so will let you know how I go.

Latest posts