Gold Pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll certainly be buying the kit.

Unfortunately won't make Tuena this time round but will definitely be hitting the Mongarlowe soon so will let you guys know how I fare.

Thanks for all of the input - keen to keep hearing views.

Terry

Dr Duck,

Just watched the video you linked to. That EZ pan looks ok too.

Not sure if I'm good enough to pan without riffles though yet. Didn't look too hard though....

Terry

Explorer385 said:
Hey Blisters,

Watched that video and both the dry panning and the wet panning in that Garrett seemed to be pretty easy.

I think I might be off to Detect a Den tomorrow for a purchase!

Thanks for the link.

Terry

No worries Terry. I got the deluxe kit from detector den and get use from all the pans. The kids can use the smaller ones as well. Great pans and I've been really happy with them. I'd steer away from bleeding edge designs that require you already have reasonable skills to get benefit from them when you are starting out.
Jon

DrDuck said:
Like those who have commented above, I am a fan of the Garrett Super Sluice.

However, if Goldrocks is at Tuena, check out his expert turbo panning. Very impressive.

I have been intrigued by the EZ pan, designed by Joel Farmer (of the G1 concentrator fame) and now sold by Angus MicKirk, but I've never seen one in action.

http://angusmackirk.com/shop/ez-gold-pan/

I think from memory that Dave uses one of Martin Mark's Qanta speed pans out at Tuena mate. Same action and in my opinion a better speed pan. ;)

Wal.

WalnLiz said:
DrDuck said:
Like those who have commented above, I am a fan of the Garrett Super Sluice.

However, if Goldrocks is at Tuena, check out his expert turbo panning. Very impressive.

I have been intrigued by the EZ pan, designed by Joel Farmer (of the G1 concentrator fame) and now sold by Angus MicKirk, but I've never seen one in action.

http://angusmackirk.com/shop/ez-gold-pan/

I think from memory that Dave uses one of Martin Mark's Qanta speed pans out at Tuena mate. Same action and in my opinion a better speed pan. ;)

Wal.
Gotta go with Wal on this one.
He uses the Qanta and if you want to see it in action just ask Hereskip to demo it for you. The man is a demon with that pan. Scared the creepies out of me when i got him to clean out my cons with it. He might be floating around Tuena that weekend.

So,

It looks like there are at least 3 types of pan from all of the comments so far:
A) Speed pan for sampling and quickly sorting cons - turbo pan etc
B) All rounders which can pan quickly but quite efficiently - Garett Super Sluice etc
C) fine pans - like 8 to 10 inch with very fine riffles.

It also appears that there is some cross over in the types with some saying Turbo is an A and B, and Many saying the Garett is and A & B as well as good as a C at fine stuff.

Couple of other pans in the mix but I get the sense from some comments that you need to be pretty good to use them.

Excellent set of comments to digest also some great video links so far.

I am really loving this forum as a place to learn.

Terry

i dont have the qanta pan but here's some pictures of the pans i use and the sieve combo i take with me everywhere.
garrett super sluice
1436137038_20150706_083409.jpg

keene
1436137038_20150706_083416.jpg

best all round sampling sieve
1436137038_20150706_083429.jpg

best sieve for bucket loading
1436137038_20150706_083435.jpg

this is how my pans are setup when i'm shoveling into my pans in a creek. fully submerged
1436137038_20150706_083452.jpg

1436137113_20150706_083446.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, Wal and Chris. I'm not sure if I even asked Dave what pan it was, I just assumed it was the speed pan. Very impressive in his hands, anyway, but not for me!

Thanks. Took the plunge and visited Terry over at Detect A Den - bought the Garrett Deluxe Gravity kit. 3 pans, classifier, books,
DVD vials and sniffer bottle.

Was good to have a chat with him as well. Glad I could support a site sponsor and local business.

Terry

I started with a 14" & 12" Eastwing pans then bought the Garret Super Sluice after seeing a mate rip through material fast.
I can't get used to the GSS so tend to use the Eastwing 14" then the 12" for clean-ups.
I guess the main thing is to use what you're comfortable with.

Latest posts