Gold Pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1449710720_thumb.jpg

AtomRat said:
When we meet you can have a go at all my pans n see what suits you best bust anything with inwards riffles highly reccomended. The garrets are difficult to use in our creeks but great in the gt
I find the large garret hard to use properly , its great for de silting cons or breaking down clay, but it doesn't separate and move the different materials like the medium garret , it is the go to pan . :)

I use a 17" mild steel pan for all my needs. But that's just my personal preference. I've tried turbo pans and all those fancy pants pans with all the boondongles but find the 17"er works a treat and I keep returning to it in the field and at home. If used properly it catches all the fines right down to micron sized material. To my eyes the cold colour of the steel contrasts the warm of the gold nicely. But that's just my opinion. All it takes is time and a bit of patience.

aussiefarmer said:
AtomRat said:
When we meet you can have a go at all my pans n see what suits you best bust anything with inwards riffles highly reccomended. The garrets are difficult to use in our creeks but great in the gt
I find the large garret hard to use properly , its great for de silting cons or breaking down clay, but it doesn't separate and move the different materials like the medium garret , it is the go to pan . :)
I'm of the same opinion mate, I call it the prospector pan.
I started a thread some time in the distant past that had some awesome input.
I use my turbo for quick sampling, also covered off in another thread.
Pan with a garrett mate you really can't go too wrong, very forgiving.
Out of all the prospecting tools, technique, and tips you aquire over the journey I have to say good pans and good panning is at the forefront every time.
Also as you rub shoulders with other prospector folk have a chin wag about technique, they are many and varied and stay open to the idea of learning. There's some top notch blokes out there with all sorts of great ideas and styles of panning.

cecc said:
I like that one, thanks.

Learn that style of panning and you will find out just how good it is. That is very much the way I pan but everyone will develop their own style over time. Cheers J.

Yeah i basically pan this way too, just have to refine the end bit. I see you're from Braidwood, been through there lot's of times, travelling from Canberra to Batemans Bay. Lovely spot, are there many places around there to go prospecting?

I have property in the Braidwood area and spend most of my time there these days. Yep I just love it out there. Prospecting in that area is very good. Cheers mate
1449881452_thumb.jpg

Good on ya mate, good to have a chat and can't wait to learn more from you.

Latest posts