Gold Pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabert

Robert
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good set of gold pans for under $100.. I see the forum is giving away Garrett ones.. so how much to buy are they and are these the best type as far as catching small gold flakes is concerned? I hope I win :)

Garrett set as shown as prize sell for about $90. I believe bendigo gol have one on ebay for that price plus postage.

I bought my turbo pan for only $28 and a turbo is just as good as a set of gold pans if not better because all you got to do is spin it under water and all of your gold goes to the centure of the pan and then all you got to do is pan of the junk :)

bendigo gold had them on special on ebay, Don't think they have them at that price now. But they may still do it try them. It was only the week before xmas I got mine.
They may also have another special on them at sometime.

Just noticed bendigo gold has Turbo for 24.95 include post on Ebay, but if you talk to Aussie Detecting he might match that.

Now there we go that is the best price I've ever seen these go for might even get another 2 for the kids. I'll give you a ring tomorrow morning Thanks Brad

yah order me some pans. 2 turbo's & deluxe Garrett set Thanks Aussie detecting for the great prices. Now we wait for them to arrive.
Could of waited to see if I win them on this site but at price's that I've paid are to good to wait & may not last.
If I win prize here it'll be a big bonus for the kids. LOL

Might be a bit late.....but in my opinion you can't go past the " Garret Super Sluice " pan. Pans with the widest throat at the bottom allow you to keep the gold away from the rim section during the backwash section of your panning stroke. These also have the steepest rims and deepest gravity trap slots on the market. If your new to panning then a quick look at ....Gold panning and high banking on Shoalhaven River NSW....on the WalnLiz "you tube" channel may be of assistance....Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Might be a bit late.....but in my opinion you can't go past the " Garret Super Sluice " pan. Pans with the widest throat at the bottom allow you to keep the gold away from the rim section during the backwash section of your panning stroke. These also have the steepest rims and deepest gravity trap slots on the market. If your new to panning then a quick look at ....Gold panning and high banking on Shoalhaven River NSW....on the WalnLiz "you tube" channel may be of assistance....Cheers Wal.

Hey WalnLiz, that's a great video on how to use the Super Sluice. I got my new deluxe Garrett panning kit wet today. Glad to say I did find a tiny bit of colour. Tiny piece of flour gold. :D Probably smaller than fly poop but it does go to show that the Super Sluice is wicked on that tiny stuff.

I also found a small piece of gem stone. Only about 1mm x 1mm but this piece wanted to stay in the bottom of the pan. Not sure what it is, it's almost clear and the light bounces off like a diamond. I'm thinking maybe zircon? Glass wouldn't be that heavy would it? It was mixed in with the black sand.

One question I had on the video. Do you guys ever use the 10" finishing pan to separate the black sand from the gold? Not that I think you need it, Liz has a pretty good technique. Just wondering what you think of it.

AU

G'day AU,

Glad to hear the Super Sluice is working for you. They're a great pan and one of the few on the market suitable for "panning" gemstones. We initially double pan the black sand into another Super Sluice, in extremely rich black sand areas. We don't use smaller "Finishing" pans as in my opinion the large throat at the bottom the Super Sluice has the best "Back Washing" surface area out there.

The gemstone in the pan is most likely a zircon as they also come clear. Glass and all quartz minerals are about 1/2 the specific gravity of zircons and wash easily out of the pan. (Diamonds are also 1/2 SG of zircons and are hard to keep in the pan).

A little bit of practice and you will be amazed just how vigorous you can be with your panning action using that Super Sluice....Best of luck out there.

Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts