Gold Pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

I've had a change to dig around out at my block and there are a couple of places which look good in terms of gold panning( I really dont know what i'm doing!) and i think its something that the kids can do which can be quiet and hopefully fun.

Basically I was digging a hole for the support for our shed, and the ground goes like this: 2 inches brown dirt, one foot white fine dirt/sand and then gravel about the size of your thumbnail. Most other places round the block, its clay instead of gravel at that depth but the area with gravel sounds like an old stream to me, and it is just up hill from an existing creek(prounanced "damp area"). Theres plenty of diggins around the block and deep lead accross the road so there might be gold there?

Anyway I'm looking for somewhere to get some cheap pans for the boys to play with. any suggestions?

You could try Aussie Disposals, my first one was less than $10

eBay might have one in your size and colour :cool: :p

Cheers

Bazz

PS I can't pan for shite!!!!!

M, If you want a classifier, Bunnings I think will have a leaf sieve for a tank that's about 14". Put that on top of a 14" pan and walla- Classified down to about 3mm. Last time I bought one at Stratco here in SA, they were $6.00 and plastic.

Ebay ..... :D ......

1450333935_image.jpg

Ahoy matey,.... might see that if you look towards shore(even in the dark).
I think I can feel a beach hunt commin on. :eek: ;)

Anyone know the difference between a pan that has ridges in it or a pan that has the grooves, and, which one is best?

Patt,

I'd second the Garrett super sluice. Once you get good at panning, you can get by on anything, but the super sluice is efficient and effective. The wide base is useful for cleaning up. I don't like black pans much, and think green and blue ones give a better contrast between gold and black sands.

Gold Pans!

There are so many gold pans on the market today it is so hard to find the one that is right. So lets have a look at a sample of pans which can be obtained through you local dealer and second hand. The below information I posted some time back on another site but fits in here as well.

The Tin dish. This pan is made of tin and will hold its blue it is light and very easy to use.
The mild Steal pan. Very much like the tin dish, but the mild steal pan will not hold its blue and weighs a bit more than the tin dish but is easy to use.
The Fibreglass range of pans are very good. But there is a problem with fibreglass pans. That is they will chip easily if big rocks are dropped into them. And if you accidentally drop them it will more than likely break or chip. The weight is another factor most are heavy.
The Plastic range of pans on the market today is very good. These pans are light weight low maintenance and very easy to use. But they must be seasoned before using them in earnest. To season a plastic pan you can rub them over with a bit of very fin wet and dry sandpaper or use them for a day out in the field as a sampling pan. I find the sand paper trick is the way to go. As with the Fibreglass and Plastic pans you must give them a wash out with biodegradable dishwashing liquid to remove any oils or grease which may be in the pan. Heat will also effect a plastic pan and care must be taken with the pan.
The leading range of pans on the market today is the Garret range. They are the most used in the field today by prospectors, and the Garret Super Sluice the most popular out of that range.

What I look for in a pan.

I use two types of pan the Garret Super Sluice for finishing off and a cheap black plastic pan for general sampling. Before each trip I wash and clean all my equipment including the pans with biodegradable soap to remove any oils.
When the time comes to replace a pan, say I am going to replace my finishing pan this is what I look for. A colour which will make the gold and black sands stand out, green or blue are the best for this. I then need a pan with a wide bottom which makes the separation of the gold and black sand so much more easier. The narrow bottom pans will drive you nuts, when you try to separate and if you are using a black pan forget it the gold will stand out but the black sand will be hidden.
Cheers. Jemba
1466379601_1476364148.gif

Cheers fellas,
I only have the turbo pan at the moment and while it is good and quick to use, I find that the bottom tray just isn't big enough. I've read nothing but good things about the super sluice, so am steering towards one of them. Has anyone tried out the new minelab pan?

I don't think anyone has tried the minelab pans yet. Still hasn't been released (As I understand it, it was supposed to be showcased at Wedderburn in March, but the poor ol' Minelab reps had to turn up empty handed and somewhat red faced).

No official release date as yet.

Seems to be pretty well priced for the kit.

Latest posts