Gold Pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone just would like your thoughts on gold pans, I've only ever used a turbo pan and never your conventional pans your comments would be great as I'm new to this hobby.
Cheers Vic

vic said:
Hi everyone just would like your thoughts on gold pans, I've only ever used a turbo pan and never your conventional pans your comments would be great as I'm new to this hobby.
Cheers Vic

I have a Turbo Pan and a 14" Garrett Super Sluice. As a newbie I bought the Turbo Pan as a finishing pan for panning off the Sluice concentrates i bought home. Using the Turbo Pan and seeing how it hung onto the gold over time gave me confidence and having now learned how gold behaved i picked up the Garrett again and straight away got better results. My fav pan has become the Garrett simply because i prefer the traditional panning action.

In addition the Garrett pan feels better than the Turbo Pan in the hand partly because the Turbo is uncomfortably wide for me. The Garrett is of solid thick construction (not flimsy), good weight and balance and feel, all smooth edges (especially the rim), and finger grip ridges on the outside allow for fatigue free use.... an all round quality tool.

The Turbo pan is a good pan and i still use it - but for a satisfying experience it's the Garrett for me.

casper

The Garrett Super Sluice is my pan of choice. I also use it extensively for dry panning and sampling over in WA. It's about the only pan on the market you can confidently do this with.

Wal.

get the garrett kit mate, comes with the super sluice, great classifier that fit in any bucket the 10" pan for cleaning up and a really good snuffer bottle.
I reckon its the best snuffer i ever had, unfortunately the dog thought it was pretty cool too, as s chew toy that is.

G0lddigg@ said:
get the garrett kit mate, comes with the super sluice, great classifier that fit in any bucket the 10" pan for cleaning up and a really good snuffer bottle.
I reckon its the best snuffer i ever had, unfortunately the dog thought it was pretty cool too, as s chew toy that is.

lol mate my little yappers been up to the same tricks! Came home yesterday to find my 16inch estwing pan kind of resembled a sieve!

haha swear i did!! Might have to buy a super sluice to replace the estwing i think! was going to head out for a prospect today but hail, rain and thunder have taken over :(

Seen these advertised today in the disposals store catalogue that came today's herald sun news paper. .26 cm gold pan $4.95. .36 cm gold pan $6.95. .thought some of you guys out there might be interested.it also says all catalogue items can be ordered on line.go your hardest fellas.
1432262673_14322621807560.jpg

cracka said:
Any idea what store it is?
Pretty sure most stores should have them, dont quote me but i believe their catalogues cover stores Australia wide, i have been wrong before though, once....or lots
y4k

y4k said:
cracka said:
Any idea what store it is?
Pretty sure most stores should have them, dont quote me but i believe their catalogues cover stores Australia wide, i have been wrong before though, once....or lots
y4k
This was my perspective of it as well.should be all aussie disposal stores.be interesting to see if they are any good.

I grabbed one of each probably only a few months ago when they were on sale last, as to whether they are any good or not im not in a position to compare them to any others as at the time i had only just begun my lust for gold and these are the only pans ive ever used but once scratched up a bit they seem to have worked fine for me i dont think ive lost much (as far as i know).
Our local store also stocks the metal versions which from memory were just a plain pan without the ridges and again i imagine these would be store wide.
y4k

ah great!
I was just talking with the missus about where to get some cheapies that wasn't ebay :p

Hi all,
With the range of different pans available I was wondering if we could discuss the pros and cons of different pans.
I understand it is going to be subjective but would welcome all views so I can make an informed decision.
Bear in mind I am a relative newcomer to panning but have had a little success.
I currently use a black plastic 10 inch pan brand unknown.
Have seen ads for the Turbo pan and have discussed options with Another fossicked who swears by the garret pan.
Happy to take all views on board.
Terry

Latest posts