General National Weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a bbq last night and it was cool but good thing was, no mozzies. Best time of year for the barbee.
Back in March I went Camping and at about 10.30 in the morning it was -8.4*c and with the wind chill it dropped it down to below -24*c, That was refreshing,

I opened the Van window to take a photo and it took about 5 to 10 seconds for my fingers to start burning, 😜
🤪😰😨🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

Back in March I went Camping and at about 10.30 in the morning it was -8.4*c and with the wind chill it dropped it down to below -24*c, That was refreshing,

I opened the Van window to take a photo and it took about 5 to 10 seconds for my fingers to start burning, 😜
🤪😰😨🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶
Where the bloody hell were you?

Where the bloody hell were you?
In the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland,

The weather up there can change in minutes where it can be 30*c one minute and be -15/-20 the next with wind speed of over 300kph at times.

It's the start of summer there now and todays weather is a High of 11*c and a Low of 1*c. And it was Snowing there on Wednesday.

At least it won’t crack Dihusky.
RR, i always wanted to go to the Shetlands until i saw the program on telli . Cold and that wind that would cut you in half. Best Wishes.
Yeah the Shetlands is pretty remote and is like stepping back in time but it does get cold up there and it can rain a lot too, If you ever make it up there leave the Speedo's in ya Port.

When I first visited over here back in the late 90's here I saw the temperature drop down to -27.2*c with zero wind chill, with the wind chill it dropped down to -49.8*c,

It's an awesome place but you need to prepare for it. 👍

Yeah the Shetlands is pretty remote and is like stepping back in time but it does get cold up there and it can rain a lot too, If you ever make it up there leave the Speedo's in ya Port.

When I first visited over here back in the late 90's here I saw the temperature drop down to -27.2*c with zero wind chill, with the wind chill it dropped down to -49.8*c,

It's an awesome place but you need to prepare for it. 👍
Minus 49.8...... holy snapping duckshit 😳😳😳

Minus 49.8...... holy snapping duckshit 😳😳😳
Yeah in Altnaharra and Braemar it has dropped down to -27.2*c a few times in the past and they had 60/70mph winds dropped it down to -49 and below, and these records have happened in more recent years and was the coldest weather for over 250 years and it is happening more and more, One of the main reasons is parts of the UK are on the same paralelle and Canada and North America so a lot of the times when they get hit so does the UK.

If you scroll down this link there is a weather chart showing whats what,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altnaharra

Experienced -45C at Davis Base, Antarctica in 1980 (without wind chill factor).
Was near the coldest place on earth - Russia's Vostok Station.
Didn't mind the cold then (was there for 1.25 years), with beard, mustache, eyebrows and fur lined hoodie iced over.
Now, 42 years on, I hate Melbourne Winters.
BTY. I took a PI Metal detector (I made) down to search for meteorites in the moraine on the side of glaciers. Didn't find any, but found a lost skidoo and a large fuel tank that had both been lost for years under the snow.

Experienced -45C at Davis Base, Antarctica in 1980 (without wind chill factor).
Was near the coldest place on earth - Russia's Vostok Station.
Didn't mind the cold then (was there for 1.25 years), with beard, mustache, eyebrows and fur lined hoodie iced over.
Now, 42 years on, I hate Melbourne Winters.
BTY. I took a PI Metal detector (I made) down to search for meteorites in the moraine on the side of glaciers. Didn't find any, but found a lost skidoo and a large fuel tank that had both been lost for years under the snow.
That is the only place I regret not going to, 1.25 years is long enough for any Man, even more so when you add on the 24 hours of darkness for months on end, Youz a Brave Man "BW" thats for sure. respect. 👍

When I was up in Scotland it was cold on the skin but my Parka was bullet proof where I didn't even notice the wind chill, Bare hands was painfull, On the first day there was 6 or 8ft of Snow and a few hours later the wind had Relocated it a few miles away, and with 80+mph winds ( 130kph ) had me walking like a drunk, 5 to 10 seconds is all it took to make ya skin burn/Sting,

People go up there in summer clothes or Trekking Gear and then wonder why they come undone, even in such conditions you can still have a great time if you got the right gear,

Even in the Snowy Mountains etc it can still hit -20 throw in a bit of windchill and a person could be in trouble, But Arctic clothing is not something you see a lot of in Aus,

We cut a hole in the sea ice, and some of us took a mid-Winter dip (tradition - then - not now). Then ran like crazy for the donga showers. The frost nip was very painful for all. We were idiots then! Probably still are, but hate Melbourne Winters.

Latest posts