Unfired cartridge - reasonably old and in back yard !!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A number of posts have been removed or edited from this thread due to safety & legal concerns.

We cannot allow any posts giving instructions on dismantling or otherwise so called methods of making ammunition safe to remain on the forum.
We have no way of knowing the readers experience with firearms/ammunition or the condition/stability of any found ammunition to be able to offer safe procedure for doing this.
It is also illegal in all states to possess any ammunition without a licence.

The general information available in most states recommends:
Any ammunition should be disposed of through the following:
  • A licensed firearm dealer
  • A local police station
It is also recommended that you contact the person/organisation you are going to dispose of the ammunition with beforehand.

Qld:
Contact a licensed firearms dealer or the Explosives Inspectorate on 1300 739 868 (24/7) to arrange a penalty-free ammunition surrender.

Victoria:
A licensed firearm dealer is the preferred option or A local police station.

NSW:
Licensed firearms dealer or by unconditional surrender to police.

SA:
Hand into a participating licensed firearms dealer or a police station for surrender.

Tas:
Surrender the ammunition to the police.

NT:
In the Northern Territory firearms/ammunition can be surrendered at police stations or participating licensed dealers.

ACT:
Contact ACT Fire Arms Registry at Mitchell. Ph: 6133 2122

WA:
Contact or make an appointment with your nearest police station – prior to surrendering ammunition.

WA (& other states) have in place an amnesty providing protection from prosecution where a person is in possession of an unlicensed firearm/ammunition for the purpose of handing it in.

⚠️ Please do not post any further information on dismantling ammunition; incorrect disposal such as put in the bin; or any other methods of rendering it safe (many of which aren't 100% guaranteed to render it harmless anyway).
Follow your relevant State laws, information & advice.

So I’m new to metals after spending far too long, standing in rivers chasing sapphires…having now found quite a few of the blue stones but always seeing that wispy gold flake rolling away - I thought, why not try something else for a while.
So - testing the waters - bought a equinox 800…yes, yes, I know, I know…

I literally turned it on, watched a video, walked out the back with the kids and beep bono gonk - this thing is 8” down…I am a reloader (223-300wm, 45/70 and everything in between) so I know my cartridges, but I don’t know this one…it looks like a blank but a friend suggested bird shot in a rifle cartridge but…I don’t know. Head stamp testing in vinegar to hopefully show numbers.

Attachments

• FF40D64D-23FD-4046-A93A-B8D0A19FDB1B.jpeg
    FF40D64D-23FD-4046-A93A-B8D0A19FDB1B.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 0
  • D1D37002-98F2-471D-8DE5-EA156029989B.jpeg
    D1D37002-98F2-471D-8DE5-EA156029989B.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • 79A7E444-13AE-48C1-B30F-7EECB6466D6C.jpeg
    79A7E444-13AE-48C1-B30F-7EECB6466D6C.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
Blanks for all sorts of brass cartridges have been around since almost each cartridge was developed.
Mostly military cartridges though.
Even blackpowder firearms were sometimes loaded without shot or projectiles for signaling, why waste the lead.

Latest posts