General National Weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forecasting a top of 3.2 degrees tomorrow, 0.8 at 9am ..............
That's chilly, Sounds like you need some longjohns or moleskin strides, Cotton or Denham will make you cold.

What many people don't realize is that you don't need to go to the North or South Poles to suffer from Hypothermia because it can happen in Temps of around 10*c and at 15/16*c your hands will start to suffer, You will notice the start of it when you open and clench your hands because you will notice as a stiffness or a tightness in your joints as you open and close your hand at a normal speed,

If you notice this feeling coming on that is the early signs and it's time to take action by opening and closing your hands making a fist etc or either put on some gloves or fingerless gloves in Aus to keep the viens warm on the back of your hands, To put it to the test if your hands have not been active IE your sitting in ya Tinny fishing just move ya fingers in to a fist slowly and if the joints feel tight then that is what it feels like.

Oh and if your feet are Cold put on a Hat.

Last edited:
That's chilly, Sounds like you need some longjohns or moleskin strides, Cotton or Denham will make you cold.

What many people don't realize is that you don't need to go to the North or South Poles to suffer from Hypothermia because it can happen in Temps of around 10*c and at 15/16*c your hands will start to suffer, You will notice the start of it when you open and clench your hands because you will notice as a stiffness or a tightness in your joints as you open and close your hand at a normal speed,

If you notice this feeling coming on that is the early signs and it's time to take action by opening and closing your hands making a fist etc or either put on some gloves or fingerless gloves in Aus to keep the viens warm on the back of your hands, To put it to the test if your hands have not been active IE your sitting in ya Tinny fishing just move ya fingers in to a fist slowly and if the joints feel tight then that is what it feels like.

Oh and if your feet are Cold put on a Hat.
I find that the cold temps are a bit strange.
5 degrees here tonight with a strong wind and it feels bloody freezing. The few trips up the snow every year is way colder but it doesn’t feel anywhere near as cold. Not just the clothing I just find it is not as cold even though it is.

5 degrees here tonight with a strong wind and it feels bloody freezing. The few trips up the snow every year is way colder but it doesn’t feel anywhere near as cold. Not just the clothing I just find it is not as cold even though it is.
Wind chill factor Bjay.
The measured temp is taken from instruments kept in a protective box.
Throw some winds in, low humidity etc. & the temp to us can feel a lot lower.
That's what the "Feels Like" temp is on the weather.e.g. ours is saying 6.8 degrees feels like 0.7 degrees here ATM 🥶

So what would be the wind speed at a rough guess, because you are right here is just a few figures.

5*c @ 5 kph wind speed = 4*c ( 4.08*c )
5*c @ 10 kph wind speed = 3*c ( 2.66*c )
5*c @ 15 kph wind speed = 2*c ( 1.75*c )
5*c @ 20 kph wind speed =1*c ( 1.07*c )

Last edited:
Wind chill factor Bjay.
The measured temp is taken from instruments kept in a protective box.
Throw some winds in, low humidity etc. & the temp to us can feel a lot lower.
That's what the "Feels Like" temp is on the weather.e.g. ours is saying 6.8 degrees feels like 0.7 degrees here ATM 🥶
The winchill factor is measured at face hight IE 5ft off the ground they use to measure it at ground level up until around August 2001 "Ish" because they use to measure it at ground level which made the figures a lot lower and inaccurate,

Heres the old wind chill chart, and below the new revised version.

OLD Wind_chill_chart_-_US_Army_Mountain_Warfare_and_Cold_Weather_Operations_Techniques_Publica...png

NEW Wind_chill.png

View attachment 2005
Frosty in tassie this week.

You're in a beautiful part of the world Dave79. I walked for six days over the Overland Track a few years back. My brother dug the snow away from the door to my tent so that I could get out in the morning. It was new year's eve and great to see and experience ONCE. I don't think I need to do it again so when we get back to Tassie it won't be in the winter.

I don't measure winter by temperatures only in astronomic terms.
Winter is the time when the bloody sun sets just as you seem be getting onto a patch.
At its worst in 12 days, 22nd June, the day of the year with least daylight..
The June solstice (winter solstice) in Brisbane is at 7:13 pm on Tuesday, June 21, 2022. Summer solstice=21/12/2022.
Next Solstice: Jun 21, 2022 7:13 pm (Winter)
Sunrise Today: 6:33 am↑ 64° Northeast
Sunset Today: 5:00 pm↑ 296° Northwest
Sun Altitude: 26.21°
Not being a smart arse here - no offense.

The June solstice (winter solstice) in Brisbane is at 7:13 pm on Tuesday, June 21, 2022. Summer solstice=21/12/2022.
Next Solstice: Jun 21, 2022 7:13 pm (Winter)
Sunrise Today: 6:33 am↑ 64° Northeast
Sunset Today: 5:00 pm↑ 296° Northwest
Sun Altitude: 26.21°
Not being a smart arse here - no offense.
We'll have to think of you during our summer solstice - Geelong 22nd December 2022
Sunrise 5.56am
Sunset 8.46pm
Duration 14 hrs 49mins, 24secs
We all get the same amount of daylight hours whether you are in Geelong or Brisbane. Brisbane gets more during the southern winter and Geelong gets more during the southern summer. It evens up annually around the globe for every place.
Jaros, I'll have to admit though, that you have a good advantage on the quality of daylight hours.

Latest posts