Gel blasters banned in S.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous. I knew this would happen though. It only took one idiot to hit someone in the face/eye or whatever it was. I dont have one but have used one.
1602045303_20201007_150419.jpg

Gel blasters have been used in intimidating drive by shootings and used as threats against people. The average person when confronted by one of these may not be able to tell if it is an actual lethal firearm or not. I understand the need of those who live in rural situations to have appropriate firearms etc but I have no issue with gel blasters being banned or the need for a firearms licence being enforced.

?????? These the paintball type units I assume.

Can't see any need to own one unless you're seriously into the paintball "ambush" type activities. Even then aren't they usually just hired by the Day/Hour that you're doing the activity.

Agree with Manpa, see no reason why they shouldn't be licensed, pretty sure the Paintball Games people have to be safety approved, not much more of an imposition for them.

Cheers T.

I heard alot hyperventilating and bs arguments about the ban being for saftey or to prevent teaching our children to be killers etc but that's false as getting hit with a rock will hurt more and my kids for instance will have pretend wars with sticks etc with or with out toy guns. Manpa is close to the mark. The main reason is they don't want realistic looking toy weapons in the community is because of implications it could have with crime and law enforcement.
1602055783_images_53.jpg
police officer posing with a gel blaster
1602055816_images_54.jpg
what it actually is. Except the modern equivalent is battery powered and automatic. Only problem I can see is the fact that gel blasters look realistic.

Teemore said:

Can't see any need to own one unless you're seriously into the paintball "ambush" type activities. Even then aren't they usually just hired by the Day/Hour that you're doing the activity.

Agree with Manpa, see no reason why they shouldn't be licensed, pretty sure the Paintball Games people have to be safety approved, not much more of an imposition for them.

Cheers T.
Paintballs have alot more impact and will leave welts on you. Still fun though :lol: Gel blasters are not in the same league and are more like glorified spud guns.

I have never even heard of a Gell Blaster but if they are what you have stated they are then licensing them will achieve nothing other than raise a bit more money for internal revenue....Licensed or not people will still injure themselves in some way. Licensing fire arms has not reduced gun crime it has in fact increased it especially since the buy back and tougher gun laws were put in place......Next it will be water pistols and cap guns.
Australia has more laws regulating and controlling our lives than any other country on the planet

What ever happened to common sense ?
In Qld they didnt ban gelblasters they just punish those that miss use them. Thats how it should be.
To many laws about everything that just needs respect for others. We never really heard of suing people once. Hardly ever heard of shootings etc.
Take me back to the early 70's

Hehe!
I am the President of the Cairns Gel Blasters Club Incorporated!
We still sit on the Ministers Firearms Advisory panel, and were hugely involved in the new Legislation coming in for QLD in Feb next year.

Tassie and SA have done a shifty, its all about this 'gun culture' scaredy cat stuff!!

Seriously, these are toys!!
We have kids as young as 10, and adults in their 60's, getting out doors and playing GAMES!!

I'll leave you with a video of last weeks games, and if you have a question... please ask!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNqnULCfTI

If they were that concerned about unregistered gel blasters being mistaken for real guns they could have just required them to all be painted in bright fluro pink , while anyone who wants a black one must register them like a firearm.

Nanny state isnt the right term . Beuracratic insanity fits better.

A friend got pinged and fined recently for mounting a winch on the back of his truck tray for pulling his tractor on to the tray when he drives down the road to a farm he is leasing.

The RMS inspector said only tilt tray registered vehicles are permitted to have one

Well fstuff me , I thought there was 200,000 4WD around the country that have a winch on the front . or the rear . or both

So Short men with a uniform and a badge are the new criminals ?

Yawhol Herr Komadant

Manpa said:
Gel blasters have been used in intimidating drive by shootings and used as threats against people. The average person when confronted by one of these may not be able to tell if it is an actual lethal firearm or not. I understand the need of those who live in rural situations to have appropriate firearms etc but I have no issue with gel blasters being banned or the need for a firearms licence being enforced.
Well said Manpa.Imagine a Police officer being confronted in a dark place by some kid carrying one of these gel blasters,kid points it at the cop,cop shoots kid.Public outrage that a cop has killed a kid who was carrying a toy gun.Said cop has to live with that for the rest of his or her life.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...005c3a-b025-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html

Goldfreak said:
Teemore said:

Cheers T.
Paintballs have alot more impact and will leave welts on you. Still fun though :lol: Gel blasters are not in the same league and are more like glorified spud guns.
Na mate
I own a few of these things and although not as powerful as a paintbal they will leave welts with the higher end models out to around 15 mtrs.
They should not have been made legal in the first place.
They have a battery powered spring compressor and can easily fire 10rounds per second and cut a aluminium can in half.
These should have been classes a firearms from the start, Don't wait until thousands of people have bought and paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars building their collection.
It was the government that aloud them to be sold as a toy and now they say they are to realistic.
Anyone with half a brain knew these were a weapon when they were first introduced.
The government needs to take responsibility for their mistake and do a buy back.
That's the only way they'll get mine.
Dam stupid pricks :N:

Smoky bandit said:
Goldfreak said:
Teemore said:

Cheers T.
Na mate
I own a few of these things and although not as powerful as a paintbal they will leave welts with the higher end models out to around 15 mtrs.
They should not have been made legal in the first place.
They have a battery powered spring compressor and can easily fire 10rounds per second and cut a aluminium can in half.
These should have been classes a firearms from the start, Don't wait until thousands of people have bought and paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars building their collection.
It was the government that aloud them to be sold as a toy and now they say they are to realistic.
Anyone with half a brain knew these were a weapon when they were first introduced.
The government needs to take responsibility for their mistake and do a buy back.
That's the only way they'll get mine.
Dam stupid pricks :N:
are they more like a bb gun? I thought they only fired little gells? Still rather get hit with one than a paint ball. My mate got shot in the balls by one and it took him some time to recover :argh:

In Vic to own these electric and c02 guns you need almost the same licence as a hand gun owner except for finger prints :lol: ....should be federal law through out Australia not state laws controlling firearms......or toys... :awful:

Eldorado said:
Manpa said:
Well said Manpa.Imagine a Police officer being confronted in a dark place by some kid carrying one of these gel blasters,kid points it at the cop,cop shoots kid.Public outrage that a cop has killed a kid who was carrying a toy gun.Said cop has to live with that for the rest of his or her life.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...005c3a-b025-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html

When said kid takes one of these gell blasters or whatever and uses it to intimidate the police or another person, he does it because he knows it looks like the real deal from a distance and the intention is to frighten his victim and to use the item as a means to rob, steal , threaten, rape, bash etc and knows that because this gadget looks real he will also know that the police will not stuff about when confronted with what to them looks like a genuine gun , pistol, rifle etc. Real gun or fake gun, as a cop you cannot take the chance if you want to go home to your missus alive that day after work. The crim knows what could happen to him/her and knowingly takes the risk.......If you want to play the break the law game, make sure you understand the rules. It is not a game that you can win at very often, or maybe ever in the long run.

Latest posts