Gel blasters banned in S.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
numpty said:
In Vic to own these electric and c02 guns you need almost the same licence as a hand gun owner except for finger prints :lol: ....should be federal law through out Australia not state laws controlling firearms......or toys... :awful:

No there shouldnt.
States and territories have their own legislation,, its the way this country has been formed, and should stay.
If the feds run the laws for firearms, then they can run the laws for anything they want.
Victoria would not be in lockdown, the mining laws would be different, WA and Vic would have the same prospecting laws, the state government would really be nothing more than a big council.
Each state has different firearm laws for a reason. The NT for example has a total population of under 250k and is about 4-6 times the size of Victoria. vic has a population of what, 6-7 million?
There is no one size fits all law for all of Australia, wouldnt work.
Then you could visit the gambling laws, driving laws, etc etc.

Goldfreak said:
Smoky bandit said:
Goldfreak said:
Teemore said:
?????? These the paintball type units I assume.

Can't see any need to own one unless you're seriously into the paintball "ambush" type activities. Even then aren't they usually just hired by the Day/Hour that you're doing the activity.

Agree with Manpa, see no reason why they shouldn't be licensed, pretty sure the Paintball Games people have to be safety approved, not much more of an imposition for them.

Cheers T.
Paintballs have alot more impact and will leave welts on you. Still fun though :lol: Gel blasters are not in the same league and are more like glorified spud guns.
Na mate
I own a few of these things and although not as powerful as a paintbal they will leave welts with the higher end models out to around 15 mtrs.
They should not have been made legal in the first place.
They have a battery powered spring compressor and can easily fire 10rounds per second and cut a aluminium can in half.
These should have been classes a firearms from the start, Don't wait until thousands of people have bought and paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars building their collection.
It was the government that aloud them to be sold as a toy and now they say they are to realistic.
Anyone with half a brain knew these were a weapon when they were first introduced.
The government needs to take responsibility for their mistake and do a buy back.
That's the only way they'll get mine.
Dam stupid pricks :N:
are they more like a bb gun? I thought they only fired little gells? Still rather get hit with one than a paint ball. My mate got shot in the balls by one and it took him some time to recover :argh:
No comparison to a paint ball mate but you can buy hardened gells :)
The higher end guns are definitely not toys.

davent said:
If the feds run the laws for firearms, then they can run the laws for anything they want.
the state government would really be nothing more than a big council.

And the sooner the better, national road rules, education system, firearms laws etc etc.
Do away with state governments and have super councils / shires.

We are the most overgoverned country in the world, heaps of bad duplicity in roles and saleries.

If I saw someone pointing one of these at me I's be shitting my pants .......

If I was a copper and saw someone pointing, playing or carrying one of these I'd have my weapon well and truly pointed at them and if they turned towards me .... probably shoot them before they shot me ...... even if that wasn't their intent.

Oops, another innocent kid killed.

Sadly we have a lot of sick :poop: heads who would think nothing of using them with criminal intent.

Appreciate that the Cairns club use them responsibly/appropriately but wonder how many are purchased by people NOT associated with such clubs ..... does such a club exist in S.A. where they have been banned.

Yes in many respects we (Victoria in particular) are a "nanny" country but this ban, to me at least seems to have some merit. Judging by some of the prices for these things a "license" would be a minor cost (just as mining/fishing licenses are minor compared to what we spend on equipment.

Cheers T.

1602116067_74eb6d9e-bd10-4d6c-9b73-4fb50a1d8824_1_201_a.jpg

1602116068_2e81d583-800a-4396-aa42-12741168b45b_1_201_a.jpg

1602116068_c80d9712-3d65-4c00-b8f8-7fa266f89ced_1_201_a.jpg

If they need to do it at all...
It should be an online free to attain licence that lasts a lifetime and the questions should weed out any undesirables.
and..... if you miss out you need to wait 12 months before you can apply again (gives some time to grow up a bit.... or develope better moral compasses)

Redfin said:
davent said:
the state government would really be nothing more than a big council.

And the sooner the better, national road rules, education system, firearms laws etc etc.
Do away with state governments and have super councils / shires.

We are the most overgoverned country in the world, heaps of bad duplicity in roles and saleries.

Well I disagree.
We shouldnt need to abide the same road laws as you here in theNT.
Guess you would need to live here to understand the massive differences in that area alone.
Same with criminal law.
Aboriginals in remote communities, that again you wouldnt understand unless you have been there, have traditional laws as well, and they would conflict with laws made for people who live in places like Sydney or Melbourne..... maybe we could set the National laws from up here and you can abide by them?
In fact, I think you would would like 130kmph speed limit, no boat licence or registration, no cooling off period if you already own a gun and have had your safe inspected. No miners right. Etc etc
Not sure you big city people would like our alcohol laws though.....even though alcohol is a million times a bigger issue than firearms will ever be.....even the toys you mob play with.....grown ups playing with toy guns, that you now need a licence for hahahahaha!

All you need to do Redfin is for Australia to become a republic, re write the constitution, elect a president ( El Dano) could be a candidate, hand over power to the president/chairman/ dictator, and we can have national laws and the states can be abolished!

Teemore said:
Simmo said:
Seriously, these are toys!!

Are these toys, seriously?

How many 10 year olds can afford these ($750 marked down to $600)?

Don't doubt that the Cairns Club are doing the right thing, nice video by the way.

Mate, that's a Taccy Toys full metal V3 modded Blaster.
They attract those sort of prices. They've had a lot of work done to them.
But an entry level V1 blaster is no where near that cost and still quite competitive on the field.

Thanks for the comment re the Video!

1602142427_untitled.jpg

davent said:
All you need to do Redfin is for Australia to become a republic, re write the constitution, elect a president ( El Dano) could be a candidate, hand over power to the president/chairman/ dictator, and we can have national laws and the states can be abolished!
Until the Carona virus I thought we should abolish state governments and increase power of local councils instead but now I am glad we have a state government, the Victorians might disagree though but atleast they can still have fun shooting each other with gel blasters :lol:

Simmo said:
Teemore said:
Simmo said:
Seriously, these are toys!!

Are these toys, seriously?

How many 10 year olds can afford these ($750 marked down to $600)?

Don't doubt that the Cairns Club are doing the right thing, nice video by the way.

Mate, that's a Taccy Toys full metal V3 modded Blaster.
They attract those sort of prices. They've had a lot of work done to them.
But an entry level V1 blaster is no where near that cost and still quite competitive on the field.

Thanks for the comment re the Video!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4105/1602142427_untitled.jpg

They are all toys, the gel guns are no more harmful than spitballs, they are jelly in a ball, throw jelly at your kids/wife.
I bought some of the gel balls to let the kids play / experiment with (yes I am a tight wad), lucky I could not afford the poorly made plastic gel guns on sale, not for me.
Money better of on Detecting gear or camping gear.
But they were fun to test shoot. :)

Notice the item in the SAPOL pic did not have an ORANGE Cap over the end of the barrel ??
Toys have to have an orange cap, Federal Law for Import I think ?? And State Laws too ? I could be wrong.

Earlier in the intro of these, I spoke to one seller here in SA and asked how SAPOL was looking at it, they said all was good,
I warned them to not trust the firearms section, all was NOT good.
An associate bought 3 on the spot for his family.. these things were just walking out the door seriously fast, lots of customers, but i have seen this before,

See how this one goes when it is pressed along by the Sellers and public under "charges" for having no license for a toy.
Arm braced sling shots are illegal in most if not all States in Australia.
Paintball Guns are considered firearms - need a license.

Strange how Police want to make Criminals of those that purchased a LEGAL item on sale with Police approval... until Police change their minds..
Retrospective insta-laws, like instant noodles flavours. :lol: :lol:

As the noose gets tighter and tighter, LOL ;)

Orange cap has never been a 'requirement'.
Else criminal joe could paint the tip of his stolen Police Glock G17 orange......
The colour of a gel blaster has never come into the equation during legislation.
This is a real steel weapon in the US...

1602222791_5a16347b71cb8.image.jpg

Greenhornet_au said:
They are all toys, the gel guns are no more harmful than spitballs, they are jelly in a ball, throw jelly at your kids/wife.
Notice the item in the SAPOL pic did not have an ORANGE Cap over the end of the barrel ??
Toys have to have an orange cap, Federal Law for Import I think ?? And State Laws too ? I could be wrong.

Here's a $600 "toy" ..... interestingly NO orange cap, in fact very few with an orange cap on their website, orange caps also don't feature in the Cairns Clubs video .... maybe that's only a SA thing.

Wonder how long anyone would live walking past a NZ mosque with one of these 'toys'.

Laws also change as products evolve ... original ones may have been OK and couldn't be confused with the real thing, perhaps they've evolved to be too realistic and hence the change in laws.
Pretty sure there's always been a law requiring "replica" guns to be registered, guess these Gel Blasters are now at that stage.

Happy shooting/detecting.

1602222994_74eb6d9e-bd10-4d6c-9b73-4fb50a1d8824_1_201_a.jpg

Recently I had to complete a online self audit for my Fire Arms (not gel blasters) and it was complicated for various reasons but the police woman on the phone was very helpful after I contacted them. I worry though if they get an extra 60000 to 350000 gel blasters to keep tabs on the firearms section might be some what overloaded and may have negative implications for real firearms owners.

Simmo said:
Orange cap has never been a 'requirement'.
Else criminal joe could paint the tip of his stolen Police Glock G17 orange......
The colour of a gel blaster has never come into the equation during legislation.
This is a real steel weapon in the US...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4105/1602222791_5a16347b71cb8.image.jpg

Well it is a requirement in SA, it is part of some Act, Clause related to imitation firearms such as life like toys, confident that I read it in the Firearms Act.
But even if you threaten with those and it is used to intimidate, it will attract charges as if it was a real firearm - crims do what they want anyway, the plebs get squashed..

Will look for it if you are interested.

But i think it will be a bunfight, I know a Lawyer just been promoted to Judge, and any bullshit will not be tolerated by her for sure,
so we may see some rough play in the wings....

Dont get me wrong, I am all for keeping them as toys, and enjoying a casual sport.

like the pics Simmo

Latest posts