Down the beach with the Sovereign

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the best day out sandta . Bugger about the scoop. They really do need to be strong.
Well said Palmarr. Showing the good and the bad hunts is the reality of detecting. It is only recently that I have had any hunts with more treasure than trash and they are not the norm.

Gday TM, yes mate handles the salt water no problems .

.... A little bit heavier, but im back in the game :p
1414819291_image.jpg

It took a fair bit of love from a not so friendly hammer to bash it back into shape :eek:
Then weld up the split seams and added the heavy brace to put some life back into it... IT LIVES AGAIN... At least until next time ;)

Frankenscoop! :D Some of the spots I've use the sand scoop at, I would have benefitted more from the use of a jemmy bar initially vs just the scoop.

Sandta said:
Gday TM, yes mate handles the salt water no problems .

.... A little bit heavier, but im back in the game :p
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1414819291_image.jpg
It took a fair bit of love from a not so friendly hammer to bash it back into shape :eek:
Then weld up the split seams and added the heavy brace to put some life back into it... IT LIVES AGAIN... At least until next time ;)

I might have a go at knocking one up in the man-shed. Can't be that tricky.... what could go wrong? :lol:

Work place health and safety,... looks like it doesn't exist in Sandtas workshop(spycam reveals all).

Finished work a little early today. I got down to the beach about an hour after low tide .
Im still 'on call' so only got about an hour in... $7.65
1415265659_image.jpg

First target was this really worn down 2c.... This is exactly how i found it ... The crusty green stuff is almost completely gone
1415265824_image.jpg

1415265840_image.jpg

Do you think a gold sovereign many years in the wet sand and tiny would wear it down like copper or would gold hold its own?

They all look gold to me, a few more coins for the piggy bank. :)

Sovereigns are 8% copper, probably to make the coin a bit more durable considering how malleable 24k is, so they should be found still in reasonable nick. Sovereigns have been found on Adelaide beaches previously (from a reputable source), so an intact one at the beach certainly isn't out of the question. The Bogan crew probably have set themselves up with the best chance of finding one, considering the age of what they are pulling out of the sand/rocks.

We find a lot of copper on the beach worn down to a waffer Sandta - good indicator you are on a beach with old stuff floating around!

You're getting way too much junk.
Gold tone on the Sov is a very distinct tone that probably sounds just like a dollar.
Try my settings: volume: all the way up.... sensitivity all the way up but not clicked into auto.
All metal mode and switch to pinpoint. Pinpoint will get you more depth (honest)
When you get a target take a good bite at it then switch to disc iron mask on to check it's not junk. (Have disc at 8 o'clock position and leave it there FOREVER!)
If it's not offering you a sweet mid tone with an almost bell like ring to it, walk away.
I can't remember the last time i dug a pice of junk with the sov.
Get some test gold and learn that sound. It's the only sound you wanna hear. ;-)

I have a sovereign and know what you mean by "that" sound however I have found gold from targets that sound like pull tabs - so use discrimination at your peril - happy to find the gold you leave behind ... ;)

I hit the beach again this arvo...
Started off pretty slow , all the light scrap came from the smaller section of the beach , with no rewards
Moved down to the main beach in search of the coin patch... Well it didnt take too long till i was amongst it :D
All coins and jewellery ( only junk unfortunately) came from the patch about 5 meters x 2 meters , 30 odd targets :p
1415354007_image.jpg

1415354034_image.jpg

1415354050_image.jpg

1415354064_image.jpg

Not sure what this next thing is.... Its the second one ive found( first was a couple of weeks ago) not sure if their a pair...
They are both in as new condition , no scrathes at all :eek:
Thought possibly might be those big ear hole hoops...
1415354093_image.jpg

Latest posts