Down the beach with the Sovereign

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got out this arvo ... the Sovs maiden run ...
What a symphony of sounds :eek: a completely different machine to the Ace
The 'ding' 'dang' 'dong's' are on acid :p psychedelic sounds ... Brings back distant memories :lol:
I know the tides were not ideal , but this was my first opportunity to get out test my new set up....
IT WORKS !!
And it goes deep!
One of the 10c was about 18" deep , a good strong solid signal.
1411730673_image.jpg

I did get 2 coins on the way down to the wet sand , i then followed along the high tide mark , then doubled back on the lower side of that. As you can see a few coins are pretty crusty, obviously been there a while.
I scouted around the rocky sections looking for things trapped in around and behind the rocks... This was a good idea as i got quite a few signals around these areas.The s/s stud and a crusty 10c were in the same hole between 2 rocks.but, i couldnt get to the rest of them... I was fighting against the rising tide and i only took my scoop ... Didnt take the pinpointer nor my screwdriver to scratch or pry them out from the crevices :rolleyes:
I will be better prepared next time
My first outing ... Im pretty happy with the set up ;)

Go Sandta,....go deep and hit gold, with a dash of pretty stones all lined up in rows showing rainbows of sparkle in the sun.

Great work Sandta - the Sovereign lives again to find treasure! The multi tones are actually quite good once you get used to them ... I suggest running with no discrimination - only the iron mask and dig everything that makes a sound to begin with to learn what sounds like what - then prepared to be amazed as the bottle cap you think you found ends up being a gold ring! ;)

I went to a different beach today, i managed to get there for the low tide. I started searching as soon as i hit the sand, got 5c and plenty of foil before reaching the wet stuff. I did laps in front of the flags, plus about 50 meters either side , from the water up to the high tide mark. I ended up with $8 and nice looking silver bracelet ( which i now think is only junk, unfortunately) :(
1411819586_image.jpg

Gee it sure can be tricky retrieving targets down close to the water, you really have to work quickly as the hole fills with water and collapses in on itself.

Nice haul Sandta... My young Jedi you have much to learn in the world of beach detecting! :)

Lesson one - the bottomless pit with the ever sinking target ... The closer to the water you get the more likely this scenario ... You develop a double and triple scoop method by removing 2-3 scoops quickly before pinpointing again to try and luck out and capture the target before it is disturbed and sinks further down in the hole...

I found beach detecting to be much harder than park detecting in that park detecting targets don't move, aren't far down in the ground, and seldom require the removal of rocks and small boulders in the quest to unearth the target. You will come across other scenarios where you need to move large rocks to get the target - hence the big metal sand scoop I use - I reckon I could pry a 50 kilo rock out if necessary and sometimes it is.

Once you master all the different terrains and begin to look for certain beach conditions to increase the quantity and quality of your finds - the detector just becomes the tool and the thinking mans game begins. I look forward to seeing you ride the learning curve!

The bracelet looks good Sandta, surely silver - must be a hallmark somewhere. ;)

Don't you love the sinking target, this is where I reckon a pi pinpointer would probably be useful, as you can more quickly locate the target before it sinks too far, and thus saving on digging beqch acreage. I don't own one, probably should, but usually just persist as paulmarr does with the sandscoop digging to China.

Still waiting for the old man sea to take his sand back offshore, to expose those nice rocky gullies at the bottom of the beach, something that is more commonly seen here in summer vs winter. :)

Unfortunately i have little to show for my efforts today. Low tide was about 5pm , i got to the beach( same beach as yesterday) around 3pm . I noticed an old bloke detecting the dry sand, in and out of beach go'ers , swooping on their patch as soon as they got up.( thats certainly not my style,) I suppose he was doing pretty good,as every time i looked up from the waters edge he was shaking his scoop and putting finds in his pocket. He obviously didnt want anything to do with me as he totaly avoided eye contact( each to their own ) :rolleyes:
I just kept plodding along up and down the waters edge to come up with a total of $1 in crusty coins :/ (sorry no pics today)
Im not dicouraged by how little i found , the fact that these were crusty and deep tells me if there were goodies there ,and if i walked over them, i would have found them.
Learning specific tactics to maximise the reward is now the challenge

That is why I avoid the most "popular" beaches, as they are pretty much cleaned up before you have any chance of finding recent drops. Those areas also usually attract several detectorists at any given time. On the other hand, they are usually not too thorough in the race to pick up all the goldies, so many other coins may be overlooked or discriminated out to save them time.

Today I detected with my sovereign gt at a popular beach, when I arrived another person was detecting the beach before I arrived, he spoke with me briefly, he said he had been detecting for a few hours before me and said his finds were not great and he left after a short period.

I continued detecting for a few hours over the same area he detected and found 30 coins in total $24.40c so don't be put off if you see some one else detecting no one gets it all.

I went back to the same beach i went to last friday . Low tide was about 6pm. I arrived around 5pm , and went straight down to the waters edge and started following the shore line doing laps between the large rocky outcrops , i found a few coins, a crusty old earring, a toe ring(cant see any markings... 8.( Looks like its pressed metal) and a couple of ring pulls. slowly making my way up the beach away from the water i noticed another guy detecting. He started at the top( in the dry sand) doing laps working his way down until we met around about the middle. We chatted a little , he showed me his bum bag full of coins. He certainly had a lot more than me. :( he seemed genuinly surprised at how little i had . He did tell me that he comes here kind of regular and that a couple of others also who tend to hunt down low a i was.
1411993452_image.jpg

I ended up with $13.80 in coins :p
Most of which were found higher up the beach
The toe ring
1411993661_image.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo

That's not bad, I haven't found that much for ages. :p How you finding the explorer now, getting easier ?

Gday Slippd Disc, thanks , soveriegn... Works great :p no complaints at all. Still working on the different sounds though ;)

Ive realised now most times i go out detecting i only come back with a few tiny items. More junk than treasure out there

Nice going Sandta - I will state the obvious - you need to get down to the beach at low tide in the early hours of the morning (4am) so you can clean the place out before the afternoon looters even get there! ;)

treasureman said:
Ive realised now most times i go out detecting i only come back with a few tiny items. More junk than treasure out there

Hi Treasureman - your analysis of the state of detecting should not be based on your recent finds or lack there of - I can think of 3 things which may be affecting your hunting booty:

1. You may not be using the detector correctly and missing targets
2. The detector may not be suited for the type of detecting you are taking part in (some detectors don't handle salt water for example)
3. You are not going to the locations that hold the type of treasure you are looking for (most likely scenario)

Number 3 is probably your biggest issue - and the reason why members don't give away their treasure locations. You can be taught how to use a detector and if you have the $$ you can buy the best detector out there but if you don't sort out #3 you will not be successful in the hobby...

Real Estate Agents always say "Location, location, location" and as detectorists we should be saying the same thing! Why is it that some folks can find silver coins day after day and others haven't found one in a year? Location

Why do some folks find gold jewelry and others have never found a gold piece? Location

How do you identify a treasure laden location??? That is the $64,000 question!

(Sorry to hijack the thread Sandta - you have obviously found the "location"!) :)

If you are going to beach detect, gridding is the only way to get all the goodies, wandering aimlessly from spot to spot will result in many missed targets. Since this takes up time, you have to pick the areas that will be the most prospective for both daily drops and older drops. Think of the beach as a huge gold pan, sorting out all the heavier goodies from the lighter ones, with the rocks and gutters being the riffles. ;)

No need to apologise Pauly... I wouldnt be anywhere close to where i am without the help and info from everyone on here. If someone else can gain from your input , thats fine by me. Share the love :lol:

Went down to the beach for a couple of hours late this arvo till dark. The tide was rising, so spent the time high and dry
No gold or silver rings , but did get a beautiful big pink bling one :p
$29.75 ....not quite enough to not have to go to work tomorrow ... But not too bad :D

Latest posts