I wonder what this might be ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I'm buggered if I know what this is !

But I'm hoping that someone out there in forum land can help me.

I have been trying to learn how to use a NOX machine, so have spent some time (hours of) wrenching details of this machine from Australian Youtube Detectorists.
To this end I wandered into Adelaide City to deliver someone to an appointment, went to some parklands to kill time and set up the NOX for sovereigns and $1, $2 coins. According to Youtube guidance.

So the machine would only pay attention to 14/15 and 21/22 limiting targets for me, this was not a serious hunt, just a play around.
I got out of the car and lent the NOX against the door, and it immediately toned nicely. So I looked at the screen and saw 14, picked it up saying "yeah, bullshit" and swished it over the spot it was sitting on... a really solid 14! Pressed the 'iron' switch and swished.. still a 14.
I was getting a little excited but thought.. "Nah couldn't be anything special"

Then touched the spot with a pinpointer, too deep to find.
Wondered how to dig for it, because I was just intending to kill time and stuff around, then remembered there was a pick (thanks Bluejeans Ronald) in the boot.
So while I was very clearly observed by all and sundry, a dragged the pick out and walked around to the footpath dirt next to the car, and gave it a good shallow scrape, lifting some compacted soil. Poked the pinpointer into it and found the target.

Lifted the target a bit confused because it had plastic looking sides, but shaped like a coin and heavier than a $1 coin. I peeled away a single side and saw shiny metal with a pattern on the face. NOW I was silently excited.

So please look carefully and assist me to work out what the heck it is.

Thicker than a $1 Coin.

IMG_20220609_164530.jpg

IMG_20220609_163524.jpg IMG_20220609_163538.jpg
Plastic film stuff Metal coin-ish thingy, this was the 14 signal on the NOX

IMG_20220609_163602.jpg
Flip side of the item I dont know, nice gold colour on the left.
The cover plastic is on the right, it has some colour imbedded in it that may have come from the metal item.

IMG_20220609_164200.jpg
Size comparison

IMG_20220609_164414.jpg
Mass in grams of the gold metal thingy I am trying to identify

Last edited:
The $1 and $2 were to compare their size to the item with the fancy scrolly thing on it.

I think it is a pill mold.
Drug stuff?
Now THAT would be interesting, 14 on the NOX is supposed to be for Gold Sov's.
It had like plastic panels on it both side, so I wondered if it was in a like coin sleave thing, now I wonder if they are cellulose

I think it’s just an ornamental piece which had some cheap plastic, enamel, clear coat type covering which has degraded either from being underground or exposed to UV. Symbol looks Indian or Asian tome.
You may be right with that, been searching and some symbols are similar, good id on the possible clear coat, don't know the metal but it has no corrosion on it at all, just dirt.
No tab or ring on the side, I was thinking maybe key ring tab now.
I will give it a good clean up and post it again in pics, I don't think it has any value I could hurt, but boy it is a lovely gold bright and shiny.

Looks a bit like the logo scouts use, but not it. I would suggest taking a clear photo of it on a white background and uploading it to google image search and see what comes up, may find something similar.

Thai airways keyring medallion?
Shape and colours are a good match for their logo.
Man, I reckon you have it spot on.
WELL DONE !! 👍👋👋
It was found across the road from a Hotel and a Motel complex, so it is quite a good chance that the thing got snagged and ripped off a keyring
and dropped onto the footpath grassed zone.

Now to give it a good clean up and post it again.

Thanks to Pulsetrain I did some painstaking searches and finally came up with 'GOLD'

There are many versions of this key-fob, so I am going to pop up a few, they were made for special occasions of flights also,
mainly a spinner inside a circle, and different key chain systems.
I only found the center spinner bit so I am guessing it broke one of the pins and fell out, it has remnants of one pin.
They are gold guilded, and this model had a sealed plastic bubble on each side. (Manpa had that one from the start)

thai fob1.jpeg thai fob3.jpeg thai fob4.jpeg

I don't have any year for this one, if someone finds out, please post and update the thread
Key1.png key3.pngkey2.png

Ah, that makes sense now. I thought the pin was the tab for attaching a chain but didn't look quite right.

I guess the pins must wear out over time and the centre piece falls out.
I've had a couple of similar finds with gold + stone centre pieces from antique spinner lockets at the beach, but couldn't find the lockets.

Good detective work GH

Ah, that makes sense now. I thought the pin was the tab for attaching a chain but didn't look quite right.

I guess the pins must wear out over time and the centre piece falls out.
I've had a couple of similar finds with gold + stone centre pieces from antique spinner lockets at the beach, but couldn't find the lockets.

Good detective work GH
Nah, all thanks to you mate, you pointed me in the right direction. Cudo's to you.

Latest posts