Down the beach with the Sovereign

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man finding all those sinkers would have driven me around the twist looking for the gold pieces ... At least it tells me you were "in the neighbourhood"! I can't remember ever finding a gold ring without the accompanying lead and sinkers.

You're on the money there Sandta, if there was gold there you would have found it. The problem with so many sinkers is they usually end up dragging my finds bags and pants down to my ankles, not a pretty sight. :D

Back out again today ... Different beach
Best of all .. No rain! Was a very pleasant arvo
1431856347_image.jpg

60 odd coins all up ... 15 silvers :D
9x20c,7x10c,10x5c,10x2c,17x1c ... 7x sixpence,8x threepence
The top row - lead roof washer , half penny , heart ? & not sure what the other thing is( first thought it was a watch, but its not. Is soaking at the moment. Hopefully will be able to clean up enough to identify)
1431856578_image.jpg

I couldnt get dates off all of them , 1958 was the only sixpence i could read
1927,'39,'41,2x'44 the only dates off threepences
I did find a few more sinkers ,a toy car and the usual hand full of ring pulls
Plus a couple of older cans , remarkably ,still in good condition
1431857083_image.jpg

Nice haul Sandta, the sovereign is doing very well on the silvers, looks like beach conditions are very favourable at the moment. Are you getting down to the rocks or clay base, or were all finds just in the sand? :)

Gday GP , there has been a fair bit of sand movement lately(big storm last month) A few of the beaches around have exposed rocks like ive never seen them before.

Gday LS , you should have yelled out or thrown something at me ;)
Sorry mate i didnt notice anyone else detecting.
I did have a couple of weird encounters with over enthusiastic interactive spectators :mad: :lol:
The Chinese guy who spoke no english was nothing compared to the other elderly PEST that just wouldnt give up (nor take a hint)

If your seeing rocks I would be hunting around them like mad! You would be surprised the amount of good stuff that gets stuck in them

I battled the rising tide for a couple of hours after work and into the darkness of the evening
1431946968_image.jpg

8x20c ,4x10c ,12x5c ,6x2c ,10x1c ,$1 ,$2
1431947073_image.jpg

2x florins , 2x sixpence , 9x threepence :D also a wafer thin kangaroo half penny
I struggled again to read all the dates...could only make out a few... 1921 & 188? Sixpence , 1910,1925 & 1884 threepence

13 silver coins ... Way to go Sandta! I wondered if they came from your "regular" haunt and whether you have seen the full 12 month cycle yet? Trying to validate my theory on understanding beach detecting ...

Its all happening for you Sandty,... Hats off to that score,..and all those others lately.

Knocked off early today , went back to the beach for a few hours
I estimate that 12-18 inches of sand has been redeposited accross the beach in the last 3 days
The pickings are thinning out :(
1432119968_image.jpg

$7 in spendables ,14 BB's , 1 penny and 7 silvers :D (2 florins,1 shilling,1 sixpence & 3 threepences)
1432120397_image.jpg

The dates i can make out ... A 1954 florin , the other one i can only see old mates head but both seem to be in pretty good condition except their both crusted in sand.
The sixpence is 1946 also looks in pretty good nik
One of the threepence is 1942

Latest posts