Beauty, Australia has Won the Olympic Bid

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geehi said:
Manpa said:
I get some people dont like sport and the Olympics does that mean we shouldnt strive to have them in the Australia and the Southern Hemisphere. If that is the case, in simplistic terms please shut down all the funding to the arts as well as Im not into musical theatre, playhouses, cultural festivals etc. :playful:

To suggest that opposition to the elite spend-fest that is the modern day Olympics is based purely on a dislike of sport is a very superficial analysis......and I use the word analysis loosely.

How about we spend the $10 billion (and rising) on mundane things like:

o cheaper tertiary education for our younger generations, in order to create our next generation of scientists and engineers
o replacement of our aging infrastructure like crapped-out coal power stations,
o improving an outdated and overloaded health system,
o creating the means to process and value-add to our abundant natural resources instead of shipping them overseas as boatloads of dirt
o completing our once held plan of having a fully fibre internet network
o strengthening and modernising our defence capabilities given the developing situations in our neighbourhood

You get the drift....feel free to add more to the list....it is almost inexhaustible.

Did you not see the smiley face, Im not going to bite to your post, you can come up with all the lists you like.
Go the Aussies!

Goldfreak said:
I can understand both sides of this debate. A great spectacle but with an economic benefit argument thats often flawed and over hyped. When Adelaide "lost" the Grandpri to Melbourne most people were understandably upset and I have great personal memories of the event here but behind the scenes we were burning serious tax payer cash to run the thing that a small state like ours could never really afford ( confidential payments were just the start ) Still have some nice roads around the CBD left over from it though. Hopefully we can run this olympics with out the credit card. Maybe we will have to bring back cheap events like the sack race or apple bobbing :playful:

And don't forget the egg & spoon race! :trophy:

As an advancing planetary race of peoples you would think there could be some merit in having a global games in the one (singular) place in continuity throughout time from now on. I propose that place be in Australia but inland around the lattitude 25 south, as that has some of Earths best ongoing climatic conditions. I would expect that as the Games would be held in the one spot from thenceforth that all participating nations would contribute to it's construction and ongoing costs in perpetuity. There would be a rotation of host nations same as normal in the opening and closing cerimonies but just always held in the same place. I'm sure that way hosting benefits could still be shared amongst all nations.
Also looking like we could easily host off planet participants in the future too with a purpose built spaceport, and dual interconnecting subsonic rail to all Australian Capital Cities. Quite a large supporting infrastructure would be needed to service the entirety of this world sporting hub.... I propose it be called New World City, as it will appear where none was before. I'm sure other sporting uses will be found for it as well in what would otherwise be quieter times, such as commonwealth games etc.
Just a thought at the moment.... but what if hey.... the world is changing anyway, and what a world it could be. Imagine a time when Martian born Athletes land here as well to compete in the Sol System Games. :D

Here's the plan (obviousy a tunnel to Tasmania) :p
1626922773_screenshot_2021-07-22-12-56-01.jpg

grubstake said:
Goldfreak said:
I can understand both sides of this debate. A great spectacle but with an economic benefit argument thats often flawed and over hyped. When Adelaide "lost" the Grandpri to Melbourne most people were understandably upset and I have great personal memories of the event here but behind the scenes we were burning serious tax payer cash to run the thing that a small state like ours could never really afford ( confidential payments were just the start ) Still have some nice roads around the CBD left over from it though. Hopefully we can run this olympics with out the credit card. Maybe we will have to bring back cheap events like the sack race or apple bobbing :playful:

And don't forget the egg & spoon race! :trophy:

And I'd like to nominate that race where drink waiters have to complete a course with a tray full of drinks......I volunteer to be one of the marshals at the finish line, 'cause it would be a damn shame to let it all go to waste.

Gotta be more entertaining than watching somebody jump an extra 0.3cm in a sand pit :)

Kai said:
I hope the athletes love lockdowns

Looks like they'll get plenty of practice in Tokyo......maybe we could have a new Olympic event where athletes are awarded points for the most innovative ways of circumventing lockdown. :)

Geehi said:
Kai said:
I hope the athletes love lockdowns

Looks like they'll get plenty of practice in Tokyo......maybe we could have a new Olympic event where athletes are awarded points for the most innovative ways of circumventing lockdown. :)
tied bed sheet absailing.

Just plain stupid to commit to something eleven years away. What a farce Tokyo is. Most Japanese don't want it.
I wonder how many Australians want it. People like Coates want it because they make fortunes from it.

Might be chicken feed to you Jaros, but it is just another example of capitalism gone mad to the average poor bugger.

Burned the popcorn on me Jaros.....
:cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy:
:goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget:
:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Latest posts