Avatar whats the significants of yours ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bacchus said:
My avatar is the badge of an EH Holden 1963 ( my other passion ) from back in the day when you didn't drive a car around Bathurst , you wrestled it around. The 179 stands for the cubic inches of the engine block.

Cheers
Mine had a 179 HP in it.,.... talk about pegging the needle(and then some). :| :) :) :D :lol: :lol: :/ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"What that ole truck, she ain't been running for years" they said,
"Pulled the fuel tank out of her few years back" they said,
"Just use the gears to slow you down when the tractors towing ya" they said,
"Shouldn't of lined up a box tree when she fired" they said,
"Wished I had of put it on a tilt tray!"........... I said 8.(

Nuggetbuster said:
Ramjet said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Ramjet said:
That's a nice first Florin NB. 1954 Royal visit.

Yeah...I think I damaged it whilst retrieving...

I've only found 1 other Florin.

They can be hard to find ;)

You're tellin me...

Hang on, is that a sarcastic comment??? :/

Not at all. Maybe a tiny dig at Rocket who took a while to get his first florin. ;) Though he has 2 gold rings to my zero so.....

Ramjet said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Ramjet said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Ramjet said:
That's a nice first Florin NB. 1954 Royal visit.

Yeah...I think I damaged it whilst retrieving...

I've only found 1 other Florin.

They can be hard to find ;)

You're tellin me...

Hang on, is that a sarcastic comment??? :/

Not at all. Maybe a tiny dig at Rocket who took a while to get his first florin. ;) Though he has 2 gold rings to my zero so.....

Ah yes, now I remember..... Rocket and the Elusive Florin. I tuned in everyday to catch the latest episode. What a great story! Will they make another series?

What a great thread Nucopia! Great story and you should be very proud!

My avatar is a pic of my Mini Moke traversing a waterway up along the Bloomfield track between Cairns and Cooktown ... during my bucket list trip of a lifetime in 2012.

I had read many years ago about a group of crazy people who took their Mini Mokes up to Cape York and back - with many trials and tribulations - engine blowups - and broken suspensions to list a few but they made it up and back. I loved Mini Mokes ever since I drove one as a teenager in High School - we used to take it to Aldinga Beach here and drive along the low tide mark. Anyway ... I always toyed with the idea of getting a Moke and one day while chatting on a forum I met another guy who had the same dream of going up to Cape York. Fast forward 12 months later - three of us purchased Moke wrecks and rebuilt our cars to better than new... new engines, new gearboxes, new suspension, and new anything else we thought important. We also had enough spare parts to just about rebuild another car to take with us.

The two guys that came along were from NSW - so they drove to Adelaide to help me with some wiring and brake work and we were off. Beside the enormity of the trip - the most amazing thing looking back was that each motor was rebuilt from scratch - mine balanced and blue printed along with oversize pistons and competition diffs for the gearboxes - and my motor had exactly 1 kilometer on the clock as we left on the trip - each guy "running in" his engine for the first 500Ks and then oil changes and head tightening on the road! And the motors never gave in!

The trip was Adelaide > Port Augusta > Leigh Creek > Birdsville Track to Birdsville > Mt Isa > Townsville > Cairns > Cooktown > Cape York > Weipa > Cairns > Mackay > Brisbane > Tamworth > Narrandera > Adelaide over 30 days ... and remember - the roads at Cape York make the Birdsville Track look like a super highway!

And we did it in the proverbial "golf cart" called a Mini Moke! The look of amazement on peoples faces ... as they stood on the side of the road next to their broken 4 wheel drive to see three golf carts and a little "beep beep" as we pass ... it was priceless!

The trip ranks in the top 10 experiences of my life... the satisfaction you get from taking a rusted piece of s*ite and making a roadworthy vehicle out of it - then kitting it out to take the punishment of one of the worst roadways in the world - and then actually doing it - well ... you couldn't wipe the smile on my face away for weeks after.

Going on a holiday without the Mrs or kids ... in your favourite car ... with a pocket full of money and 5 weeks off work ... going to places with no telephones or internet .. no way of contacting home or being contacted (most of the time) ... driving to some of the most beautiful places our country has to offer ... sleeping under the stars sometimes or a resort in Cairns ... it was absolutely fantastic and a trip of a lifetime ... one day your at the Birdsville Hotel having lunch and a couple of days later pulling into Cairns... and Cape York ... anyone lucky enough to have been there will know what I mean - it's like a different country!

So whenever I see that pic (my avatar) my mind quickly goes back to that trip and the smile reappears on my face again! Planning to do the other half of the country in Winter 2017 and then I will be complete! :cool:

2e4394b0309f2f3f940fc5cead38c1b9_zps69dd4fd7.jpg

I agree Paulmarr, its a fantastic trip to make. Pulling into the Lions Den hotel is a great memory and will "never" forget the corrugations and dustfilled hole which scare the living sxxt out of you when you hit them at 70-80 kph.
Great memories from 2007.
Jaros

I have been restoring old bikes for years and funds are hard to get.. My well used riding gear will never get me into the best dressed.. the bikes are a large part of my retirement plan... :)
silver said:
kawman said:
my collection of bikes keeps me broke.. :|
More bikes equals less clothes ? :eek:

Jaros said:
I agree Paulmarr, its a fantastic trip to make. Pulling into the Lions Den hotel is a great memory and will "never" forget the corrugations and dustfilled hole which scare the living sxxt out of you when you hit them at 70-80 kph.
Great memories from 2007.
Jaros

Yes we did stop there too - unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we travelled at 90-110 kph on the corrugations so they didn't rattle our little cars completely apart ... this was kinda fun until you hit a 90 degree turn and then you quickly learned how to "drift" the car around the corners and prayed nobody was coming the other way! 8)

Latest posts