Avatar whats the significants of yours ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok i though I would start a new topic on member avatars , why they were chosen what significants they have to each member and if there is a story behind them and why you chose your particular avatar.

My avatar is a picture of a Sydney Olympic Gold medal won by Giuseppe Maddaloni, a judo athlete who competed in the 73 kilo weight class at the 2000 Sydney Olympics . Last year my son spent 12 months in Naples Italy training with Maddaloni's coach at the Sydney Olimpics Sandro Piccorilio, and was privelaged to train with some of the best Italian coaches ,former olympic medlaists and their junior and senior national teams.
My son also spent two weeks training with Giuseppe Maddaloni in private one on one sessions twice per day to prepare him to returning to Australia and compete at the Senior national titles.
At the end of the two weeks and before flying home , they gave him a small send off and the medal was brought out and shown to my son , I guess as a way of inspiring him to return home and fight with purpose.

As you can imagine an Olympic gold medal is a precious possesion and something very few people will ever experience owning.
To hold a medal won by an Italian Judo legend and and some one who has taken the time and effort to coach you personally, must have been an inspiration for a young man of only 18yrs.

My son must have been inspired by the experience, the intense training and the mentoring of the coaches who took him under the wing and gave him instruction reserved for the best of the best in Italian judo, because he returned home a week before the Aust Nationals with a detirmination and desire to win plus a maturity and focus that said I will be a champion.

At the Nationals, he was unseeded and so was placed into the fight draw with three of the top players in Australian with senior national and international rankings to beat before reaching the finals.

He won his first match against a strong player 6 years his senior and who was ranked at the time No 3 in Australia and in the top 50 in the world.

His next match would be against his toughest opponent , a 28 year old veteran, 5 times national and 6 times continental champion 2012 London Olympion and 2014 commonwealth games rep, ranked No 19 in the world.
As his Father and coach , I think I was more nerveous then he was before the start of this fight.

But nerves for me soon gave way to joy as he convincingly destroyed his opponent, who had not lost to another Ozi player in the last 4-5 years.
He went on to win his next two fights easily and proudly stood on the podium as senior National Champion and won his first senior National Gold Medal.
1438826413_image.jpg

I would love to find gold out in the bush or in a creek bed one day, but more then anything ,I would love to see my son compete at the highest level in his sport.
i guess thats why I chose my particular avatar Gold is something many people will buy in a ring or piece of jewlrey , but few people will ever know the cost sacrifice and exhilaration involved in winning Gold out of the ground in nature or through their own achievments in their chosen sport.

That's a great story nucopia. Don't think I can share my lame reason now :8 Congratulations to your son and yourself. My boys played sport at a high level. Eldest played for Australia in 2 sports and the 2nd son made state level. So I know your boy didn't get to where he is without his parents putting in a lot of hard yards.

Simple. My initials are RR so Roger Ramjet was one of my nicknames growing up. It's an old cartoon for those too young to remember. I won't share some of the others. 8)
So a ready made name and image that I use online.

Great story there nucopia, congrats to you guys. My avatar came about on a boring night shift at the timber mill I used to work at. Things were a bit slow 1 night and 1 of the other guys working on the automatic docking machine was kicked back in the chair with his feet up and eyes closed. So I snuck up on him with my ninja like skills and got close up near his head so he could hear me, and did the loudest Chewbacca impersonation that I could. Poor bugga shat himself then immediately pi55ed himself laughing. Actually everybody in the mill was laughing. So I got the nickname Chewy and it's kinda stuck. A very boring job it was, quite often on a Friday night shift we'd make pirate hats out of newspaper, and swords out of slats and have pirate wars and walk about saying Arrrrrrrrr at everybody. Wrap a roll of tape around a riggers glove, and cut out a makeshift cricket bat from a bit wood (plenty of that in a timber mill) and have a game of cricket if we broke down. :p

My brother inlaw and I found this little fella near the Palmer while prospecting a few months back. We took him back to camp and he was a bit pissed off so started pretending to charge at my mate. We thought it was pretty funny.

Mine is my old pet rat Moet. I called him Moet because when he was small he was champagne colour (Moet & Chandon). Then he grew up into a plain but very smart brown colour. He was my buddy for just over 3 years, came everywhere with me, even to the clubs, pubs, restaurant, camping, fishing in the boat, on trains, planes and automobiles. They only live 2.5-3.5 yrs so you haven't got very long to spend with them. Some of you might say yuck but they are very clean intelligent creatures and enjoy your company like any other pet. I miss him. Also had 4 other rats but all at different times except for Moet and Eli (short for Eliza), I adopted Moet when I still had Eli. Different cages of coarse as I didn't want 10 or so little ones running around.

Cracka.

Ive had a pet Childrens Python and a bearded dragon also. Went round my mates place who breeds snakes and while he was feeding 1 another got involved and they wrapped around one another. He got them apart eventually and threw one to me to hold. No worries I thought as I caught it, then it started to go beserk poking at my shirt. Shite, my pet rat was in my hoodie and he could smell it. Got rid of the snake before he found Shifty in my hoodies.

Cracka.

my best mate, and now my brother in-law use to call me ( and still dose) puffer fish head, every time i didn't shave, nor cut my hair
because when it gets too long, it looks like I have put my finger in a light socket

found this while watching a show called GRIMM
took a photo of it to send it to my brother in-law,
thought it looked good, so its now my avatar

Latest posts