Playing with New Fridges.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Past couple of days I have had the chance to play some new fridges, I first saw these on Andrew St Pierre Whites youtube channel and seeing as he has spent so long Driving across the South African Bush and has own just about every brand from Engel to National Luna, ARB and Waeco, I thought National Luna would have been his Fridge of Choice but now he lives in Australia he built his new 78/79 Land Cruiser with Two Snomaster Fridges,

So I hunted around and I borrowed a 95 Litre Single Zone Model Which Is a Monster of a thing, Me still getting over the Heart surgery I am limited as to what I can Do and humping this big Brute is an definite NO NO, So I got it in to the house just inside the front door and that is where I tested It,

After reading all the stuff on the WWW I was ready to see if all the Blurb was True, Well This 95 Litre Single Is a beast big enough in fact that I could fit in it and I'm 6ft tall and around 80 kgs, "Such a Fine Specimen" anyway back to the fridge, LOL so I powered it up empty with it's dial ready 22*c and it came from the factory set at -18*c But this Bad Boy goes down to -22*c which is the lowest setable Temp, the first thing I noticed that it does not jump in to life right away because they have built in a soft start type mode and after 3 minutes it fires up and then Does it's thing :eek: My Goodness, This thing takes off like a late freight, I have never seen a fridge Cool down that fast going from 0.5*c per minute and topping out at around 2.5*c per minute at it's peak, It got down to it's target temp of -18*c in under an Hour from +22*c down to -18*c, when it finally shut off it's Dial was reading -18/-19*c and my remote Sensor saw it drop to -21.6/-21.7. The speed it got there at was impressive compared to My Pride and Joy ARB's Yes they are Fast and drop down to about -23*c, So then I thought I would max it out down to -22*c well that was fast as well although it started to slow down in the last couple of degrees,

Anyway I was so impressed with the shear Horsepower of these Snomasters I took the Big Monster back to the Dealer with a Tear in my Eye, Oh Lordy I would of loved to keep this big Brute of a thing but the truth is My chest bones are not strong enough to be able to move the thing,

Anyway I am happy with the 47L ARB and it's Daddy the 78L, But then I got to thinking I want a small car fridge so I looked at Dometic and Engel and then I see that Snomaster make a 12L Skinny little bugga and a Compact light weight 35 Litre Model, Lucky for me the Dealer had Two in Stock So at 495 Quid "That Puppy Was Mine" MEGA Quick when the Dealer Told me that the little Cheaper Light weight @ 19kgs Model had the same Big Compressor in it as the 95L Had :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Hanging out to get home and plug it in :( Got to the front door unloaded the Truck with my New Toy made some coffee and Let the Games Begin, :) :)

Stopwatch at the Ready, and my Digital Thermometer Sensor placed at the very Mid point in the main compartment with note pad in hand I fired it Up, as per the 95L it came factory set at -18*c and when I powered it up the inside temp was reading +20*c, It did it's usual 3 minute soft start checks and it Took Off :eek: :eek: Holy Smokes, at around 3 mins 25secs so I kept that as my Reference point @ 7m 25secs = 4 minutes it was reading 12.2*c, @ 14mins it was down to 6, Baring in mind I expected it to be good but not as fast/good as the top of the line 95L Expedition series with it's 70mm of insulation, WRONG WRONG WRONG, :8 :8

This little bugga hit WARP SPEED so much so at one point I could not write down the Temps and Time before it changed, At 15mins 25secs the sensor was reading 0.3*c So taking off it's 3 minute start up procedure works out that it dropped 19.7*c in 12 minutes 25 seconds, SO at a total time of 15m 25secs it was at 0.3*c, these speed were constant right up to the factory cut off at -18*c at this point my Sensor was reading -21.7 and once it stopped it dropped down to -22.1*c, This took a Blistering 46 minutes and 7 seconds from +20*c down to -22.1*c. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

By this time I am starting to feel the Love for this little Orphan, So then I set it to it's maximum of -22*c which happened a lot faster than any other fridge I have ever used, When set to -22*c it has an actual Air Temp in the middle of the Main Box that drops down as low as -25.9*c and it gets lower and lower the more time it has to stabilize as all fridges do this and now it's reading -26.0*c / -14.8*f, They weren't joking when they said they put SnoMasters 66watt Compressor from their bigger Fridge's, But this is the sort of performance you'd get by Stuffing a 427 in a Mini,

Some of the features that come with this little fridge are some nice touches Too, It comes with A main Basket for the box area and it also has a separate little basket the sits above the shelf above the motor/Compressor and both of these basket's have little silicon hose type feet that slip over the Bars of the basket to protect the floor surface inside the fridge, On 240v it just does it's thing and gets the job done "No Messing", In the 12v/24v mode it has 3 power settings, Low which is the power save mode and then it has the Auto Mode where it speeds up and slows down as it see's fit, Then it has the Hi power mode Where it just puts the Peddle to the Metal and heads for the Horizon, One Of the best features with this little fridge is how quiet it is, I managed to sleep peacefully with it 2 feet from my head where as my ARB is Ok but it is a fraction to loud but it too is very quiet, This little SnoMaster is about as loud as a laptop computer.

Inside the Whole of the Main Box and the shelf area it is lined with White Coloured Grained Finished Alloy so the inside has a smooth finish with a Leather Like Grain to it and the Cooling coils are welded to the back of the inside panelling. In the exact same way that the bigger models are which is also how National Luna's are finished off inside. On the Front is where you plug in the 12v and 240v Leads and they have even added a USB port for phone charging etc and the also have added the Bladed Fuse next to the Leads so there is not messing around if it ever needs changing, All Up This little Fridge has unbelievable performance and at 495.00 / $891.00 AUD these are great for a second fridge, And one huge bonus is that the Compressor comes with a 7 Year Warranty YEP that's right 7 Years. And 3 year Warranty on every other part of it. SnoMaster are out selling every brand in the EU and America, Out of all the dealers around all I could find was the Expedition Series 95L and a Classic Series 60L and Two of these little 35L like this one I have been Testing and I bought one of those, so there is only 3 in the country until October. There are 3 ranges and they are The Leisure Series and the 60mm Classic Series and the 70mm Expedition Series, All except the one I have are made out of Stainless Steel and are beautifully made, And ALL the Stainless Models come with a Solar powered Remote Control and they also Come with the Fridge Cover and a Built in Bottle Opener, and the only way you could freeze things quicker would be to drop them in to Liquid Nitrogen,

Anyways, I bought this Cheap Little Black one as a Drinks Fridge and tested as above.

http://lvboverland.co.uk/catalogue/...l-snowmaster-leisure-fridge---new-in/11355671

Another thing to NOTE is the 4x4 Australia did a fridge test a while ago and the fridge that won out over Engel, ARB, National Luna and Waeco/Dometic and Mamoth etc was the "Opposite lock" But the Opposite Lock Fridge Is the SnoMaster 40L

See Here

https://www.snomasterusa.com/product/classic-series-bdc-40-stainless-steel-acdc-fridgefreezer/

And Here is most of the range on the US Site,

https://www.snomasterusa.com/

Anyways hope that helps.

J.

Another great report RR :Y: they certainly sound like a very good unit. I'm starting to give thought to how I will set up the inside of the 79 for our in planning extended road trips. The Snomaster is definitely one on the list I'll be considering after reading this :perfect: thanks for sharing :beer:

RM Outback said:
Another great report RR :Y: they certainly sound like a very good unit. I'm starting to give thought to how I will set up the inside of the 79 for our in planning extended road trips. The Snomaster is definitely one on the list I'll be considering after reading this :perfect: thanks for sharing :beer:

Well RM I could not believe the speed of this thing, Baring in mind My ARB 78L has the Bigger Danfos /Secop BD-50 Compressor and the 35L,47L and the 60L models all have the smaller BD-35 Compressor, But neither the 47L or the 78L can hang with either my Little LC 35 SnoMaster or the bigger 95L Expedition SnoMaster,,

My picks are the Classic Series BC-56L Twin or the BC-60L Classic, with the 60mm of insulation, The Big Expedition Series BC-95 is a monster because of it's 70mm of insulation, It's a work of Art but you need Arms about a meter long in order to be able to pick it up so it is definitely a Two man Job to move it any where, It's not so much the weight but the size although it weighs about 33kgs.

But this little cheap one is a great Back Seat Fridge for Drinks or Ice Creams for the Kids etc and it won't break the Bank,

I love my ARB's but the ARB 35L cost a fair bit more and has a lot bigger Foot Print But I needed a smaller fridge and the price of the little Snomaster was a Steal, When I bought it today I had no Idea it would smoke any fridge on the market and to be honest I thought it was just sales hype, But I was wrong, because it is incredible.

PS, I am trying to find the video by Andrew St Pierre White about these fridges and his Troopy Build,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxtcN26YZc&t=205s

J.

Great write up RR,
However I'm sticking with my 1983 39L Engel (Olde Yella) used each year as a freezer alongside our 2008 80L Engel Combo. Still working faultlessly on the back of my ute during our prospecting trips. 5 weeks this year and all food good all good.
You mention lifting and moving, When I bought my home in '93 I installed an overhead electric winch which runs on a rail the width of the garage. Ideal for lifting heavy items onto the back of the ute, especially my odds & sods box with all the "may need" items for the bush, socket sets, tyre levers, winch straps, vehicle spares etc etc.

Nightjar said:
Great write up RR,
However I'm sticking with my 1983 39L Engel (Olde Yella) used each year as a freezer alongside our 2008 80L Engel Combo. Still working faultlessly on the back of my ute during our prospecting trips. 5 weeks this year and all food good all good.
You mention lifting and moving, When I bought my home in '93 I installed an overhead electric winch which runs on a rail the width of the garage. Ideal for lifting heavy items onto the back of the ute, especially my odds & sods box with all the "may need" items for the bush, socket sets, tyre levers, winch straps, vehicle spares etc etc.

Thanks NJ,

There's nothing wrong with Engel Mate, To Me they mean Home and I will always have a soft spot for them, Playing with these ones has been fun, I just emptied it and left it open for an hour or so just so it could warm up a bit, It got up to +16*c and then I put 14 cans in there that have been sitting on the kitchen work top for about a week and they were at +22*c and I added a dozen Eggs and a Pack of Bacon and fired it up and set it at 2*c and it ran for 12m 25secs and shut off, and dropped down to 1*c,

Loaded with warm drinks etc my ARB's would not/Will Not start up and shut off in such a short time Not from room temp and a standing start, :( 8.( 8.(

Yeah that's a great Idea, I could do with a setup like that here, I got my 4x4 Kit Box stuck here in the Lounge room, John Jr and his mate helped me bring it here but I just can't move it, That was another reason for buying a smaller fridge, As much as I would like to have kept that big 95L Snomaster it was just too much,

Some of the features on their Classic and Expedition Range of fridges are awesome, Like Solid Stainless Steel Billet Type Hinges and spring loaded handles and Locks etc and Twin Interior Lights One at each end and multiple Baskets and the List goes On,

J.

I have an update on my Engel RR. Had 26yrs of no prob running. My recent trip to the VIC GT it decided to give up the ghost. The issue was that when the control knob was turned on and adjusted, I heard the motor very quickly cut in an out and in and out etc. If I jiggled the switch in some positions it worked. However, driving a 4x4 on tracks meant vibration and it kept cutting in and out resulting in not holding temp.

So, I rang the primary Engel service agent in S.A. where I live and was told no spares for such an old fridge. I then rang a 4x4 place in Bendigo, whos service tech told me that in fridges of that generation Engel used a 4 pole switch (2 poles for on off and the other 2 connected to the variable resistance of the switch), that they are the same switch across the range and used upto and into the 2000s. They then went to a 5 pole switch and currently to a 6 pole. So when asking for a switch, don't ask for your specific model, just ask for a 4 pole. One bloke in W.A. quoted $200 for me to send the switch and loom to him for a mod fix, so that plus postage.

When I got back to Adelaide, I started phoning through the list of S.A. Engel repairers. One I rang in Murray Bridge didn't have the spare, but were kind enough to email me the full spare parts breakdown and the full service manual for my exact model, great. :) I then got onto a service guy, one man show, that worked from home at the other side of town and after checking, he came back on the phone with the news that he had 2 of these switches, brand new. I went straight out to his address and bought one.

The switch is soldered into a circuit board, with a couple of resistors and a 4 wire loom about 30cm long, with a plug on the end. Using the service manual instructions, I managed to remove the power supply to get to the location of where the plug fits, replace the switch and reassemble.

My 26 year old Engel now has a new lease on life working as it always has, cost me AUD$70 for the part, which is a huge relief as I was looking at $1,400 odd to replace it.
If this switch lasts another 26 years, it'll probably outlast me. :)

Gotta luv the Engel :)

condor22 said:
I have an update on my Engel RR. Had 26yrs of no prob running. My recent trip to the VIC GT it decided to give up the ghost. The issue was that when the control knob was turned on and adjusted, I heard the motor very quickly cut in an out and in and out etc. If I jiggled the switch in some positions it worked. However, driving a 4x4 on tracks meant vibration and it kept cutting in and out resulting in not holding temp.

So, I rang the primary Engel service agent in S.A. where I live and was told no spares for such an old fridge. I then rang a 4x4 place in Bendigo, whos service tech told me that in fridges of that generation Engel used a 4 pole switch (2 poles for on off and the other 2 connected to the variable resistance of the switch), that they are the same switch across the range and used upto and into the 2000s. They then went to a 5 pole switch and currently to a 6 pole. So when asking for a switch, don't ask for your specific model, just ask for a 4 pole. One bloke in W.A. quoted $200 for me to send the switch and loom to him for a mod fix, so that plus postage.

When I got back to Adelaide, I started phoning through the list of S.A. Engel repairers. One I rang in Murray Bridge didn't have the spare, but were kind enough to email me the full spare parts breakdown and the full service manual for my exact model, great. :) I then got onto a service guy, one man show, that worked from home at the other side of town and after checking, he came back on the phone with the news that he had 2 of these switches, brand new. I went straight out to his address and bought one.

The switch is soldered into a circuit board, with a couple of resistors and a 4 wire loom about 30cm long, with a plug on the end. Using the service manual instructions, I managed to remove the power supply to get to the location of where the plug fits, replace the switch and reassemble.

My 26 year old Engel now has a new lease on life working as it always has, cost me AUD$70 for the part, which is a huge relief as I was looking at $1,400 odd to replace it.
If this switch lasts another 26 years, it'll probably outlast me. :)

Gotta luv the Engel :)

Well done mate, great to hear she lives to fight another day, :trophy: :Y: :clap:

Skip said:
My Aldi fridge is still going strong. Can't complain 350 bucks is all I paid.

Skip, 99% of these fridges use the same Compressors except Engel and Snomaster so the chances are your Aldi Fridge has the same insides as my ARB's, It's the software inside them that makes the difference, Also A lot of companies use the Danfos Compressors but they use the Cheap version kickass are a prime example of this although they still make a great fridge,

So don't knock your Aldi Fridge because it is a Keeper, :Y: :perfect:

RR

Needs to be confirmed.....

Danfoss is/was a Danish/German manufactured compressor, I believe they are all now made in the same Chinese factory.

Secop (formerly known as Danfoss) I believe is made in Slovenia and I believe somewhat different to the chinese version.

Where it may be confusing, there may be some fridge manufacturers advertising their fridges as a Secop/Danfoss compressor. In my opinion, it can't be both, so you need to find out what you are in fact purchasing.

condor22 said:
RR

Needs to be confirmed.....

Danfoss is/was a Danish/German manufactured compressor, I believe they are all now made in the same Chinese factory.

Secop (formerly known as Danfoss) I believe is made in Slovenia and I believe somewhat different to the chinese version.

Where it may be confusing, there may be some fridge manufacturers advertising their fridges as a Secop/Danfoss compressor. In my opinion, it can't be both, so you need to find out what you are in fact purchasing.

Yes that's right mate and I think another company has taken over Secop in the last couple of years although they have kept the Secop Name,

Well Condor The Danfos/Secop Compressors that are fitted to some fridges that need an AC adapter have the cheaper Secop compressor fitted, They still work as well but some of them don't have the 110v to 240v 50/60Hz ability So the fridges come with an AC to DC adapter because they don't work on ,,,, And the dead Giveaway to a fridge having the cheap Danfos Compressor is when they come with the "FREE" AC to DC adapter

220-240v/50Hz
110-115v/50Hz
110-127v/60Hz
220-240v/60Hz.

So The Compressors you DON'T want are

YOU DON'T want any fridge with the BD250GH or BD350GH range of Compressors because all of these and the ones below are the 12V ONLY and Any Fridge fitted with one of these Part Numbered Compressors "MUST" have A 12V Adapter for it to be powered from an AC Supply, The BD250GH is a Tiny Grossly under powered Compressor even more so when you consider that Kickass are having them fitted to their Bigger fridges like the 75L in that Link, A 75L should be fitted with a BD50F Not one 2 sizes Too small, which also tells me that they have Sped up the Tiny BD250GH Compressor to make work harder in order to get it to work in such a Large fridge which means it won't last long At All, A compressor that size is best fitted in Fridges that are smaller than 40 Litres, My ARB 78L has the BD50F, P/N 101Z1220 and if you look up the list of numbers below you will see what I mean and on the far right of the page in this Link you can Down load the Specs of every Compressor they Make,

HERE:- Is the Chart showing Every Small Compressor Danfos/Secop Make that are made for Fridge Freezers and if you look at the top of the page you will see the voltages, The Standard BD35 and BD50 Compressors work on all Voltages and all Frequencies,

https://selector.secop.com/application-search/

Every one on this list needs an AC to 12v DC Adapter

The BD250GH

The BD350GH

The BD35F-HD.2

The BD35K

The BD50K

The BD50K

If you click on this link and scroll down you will see the compressor Kickass are putting in their fridges and they are even Smaller than the smallest compressors fitted in to ARB's National Luna and earlier Dometic/Waeco's

Kickass even State that it has a built in AC to DC Adapter right next to the picture, So instead of supplying and adapter it has been fixed in to the unit, Where as the Correct Compressors have Multi wound motors.

https://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/kickass-portable-fridge-dualzone-75/KAF-75DZ

Hope that helps.

J.

Thanks RR, I knew there was something of a difference, but not the detail, you're the guru :)

But for me, irrelevant as I will only ever stick with the Engel Sawafuji motor :)

condor22 said:
Thanks RR, I knew there was something of a difference, but not the detail, you're the guru :)

But for me, irrelevant as I will only ever stick with the Engel Sawafuji motor :)

I am still thinking of buying an Engel because Although I love the features of the ARB's and I love the power of the Snomasters I still want an Engel, ARB's are very clever and the Snomaster will Smoke any fridge out there bar none, But Engel just feels like Home to me, I swear when my money gets sorted I am going to buy an MT45 and the MT 60,

Well I had been chasing these Snomasters for about a year now and one dealer kept trying to sell me a cheap rebranded Chinese fridge which I had never heard of, and this happened every time I rang them to see if the new Snomasters had come in yet, So I went somewhere else and got this little,

Although the Snomaster are Rocket ships when it comes to cooling They Still Fit Danfos Compressors when it comes to industrial Applications, As for their Own branded fridges they only fit their own brand of compressors when it comes to their own fridges All except their little 12L Black Car fridge which has the Danfos 1.4 powering it.

Goldchaser1 said:
Evercool make them kickass ones RR,well make is probably a loose term,heres one on there refurbished list
same as what we bought,no engel but going ok.....

https://www.evakool.com.au/89-litre-evakool-kickass-metal-fridge-freezer-factory-refurbished

yeah if ya look in that refurb section a bit more theyve got a kings in there to,kings 4x4 gear in oz,there a fair size mob,and they make the ridge runners to im sure that supercheapauto sell,why havent you got a ridge runner fridge??? :lol:

ah ridge ryder fridges,i was close.....

condor22 said:

In my other post I said about that when they use the cheaper compressor that they supply the fridge with a AC to DC Adapter and then I went on to say that they claimed that it did not come with and adapter and I also said that they have pre fitted the Adapter in to the Unit/Fridge, Well I was right because it even show the adapter fitted in the fridge In the Manual

Heres a screen shot of their 100L manual wiring diagram,

1567761430_kickass_wiring.jpg

Goldchaser1 said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Evercool make them kickass ones RR,well make is probably a loose term,heres one on there refurbished list
same as what we bought,no engel but going ok.....

https://www.evakool.com.au/89-litre-evakool-kickass-metal-fridge-freezer-factory-refurbished

yeah if ya look in that refurb section a bit more theyve got a kings in there to,kings 4x4 gear in oz,there a fair size mob,and they make the ridge runners to im sure that supercheapauto sell,why havent you got a ridge runner fridge??? :lol:

ah ridge ryder fridges,i was close.....

Close enough Aye :Y:

If I made a fridge it would have the Soul of an Engel , and the Power of the Snomaster and the features of an ARB :Y: :inlove:

Skip said:
And when my Aldi fridge dies, I'll have one of your proto types! :D

You sure know your stuff RR :cool:

Well I had to dive in to all this because over here they spend more time arguing which brand is best instead of which one suits the task at hand, even the dealers don't know anything only the sales pitch, I just got off the phone from talking to one letting him know about the testing and all the good and bad bits, This sort of info was every day stuff back home in Australia because fridges have been part of the bush ever since Engel made their move way way back,

If you look through the vents on your fridge you might be able to see the part numbers of the compressor and theres enough blokes in Aus who could get it up and running at a moments notice,

This Snomaster is a fun thing and so so quiet but for everyday Off Grid use I would be using my 2 ARB's and one thing I have learnt out of this is that the fridge you want is not always the one you should have, Yes the big 95L was great but without a mate around you just can't do anything with it, For a bloke out on his own or with the Kids a 20 litre to 50 litre is about as big as you can live with on a day to day basis,

J.

Latest posts