Beach / Sand Scoops - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great idea John but I think you'll find that many of us already have sand scoops. Perhaps you could get some made up anyway and look at look at selling them here in Oz to make yourself a few extra bucks?

I think that if you could get some made and sell them at a good price they would fly out the door. I find it hard to find one under $150. I'm tempted to buy a deep fryer basket and modify it

I'll see if my brother in law can come up with a simple yet effective design and get it to you in a week or so and, if it does go ahead, I may be able to help with the offloading to a reputable company :D

The idea behind this thread is to make people aware of what is out there on the market for sand scoops, their adavantages/disadvantages, whether you would buy the same one again, mods that you may have made in due course, and what handles you have found the best.

Please post up pics if possible, where it was purchased from, and rough price estimate would be great. Homemade scoops are also most welcome in this thread, good spot to show off your handyman/woman skills. :)

To start off with, this is my cheapy scoop, bent real easily, welds broke, really only good for dry unconsolidated sand. It is a Jobe Tools dual handle scoop from the US, is made of anodised steel, and cost around $63 US plus $30 shipping. The handles have also siezed together, so it stays in the longer configuration. I must say i haven't really use it as intended, hence the damage from using it in wet sand. If you were to only use it in the dry, it would be fine, as the actual mesh is reasonably strong. I'm sort of surprised it lasted as long as it did. Time to upgrade! :)

I also have a plastic coin scoop, which is fine for cherry picking coins in the dry sand when using the Ace 250.

1400314489_img_20140517_174213.jpg

1400314511_img_20140517_174233.jpg

Here are two scoops that myself and sa_bogan use....

9F2BE36A-001C-4327-AFD9-2CE211B5BAEC_zpsa4keifcn.jpg

Both of these scoops were bought on ebay - the one on the left was named the Miami beach scoop and the one on the right came minus the handle.

Miami scoop cost $200 + shipping and so far is the strongest scoop - perfect for wet sand, rocks, and hard to dig surfaces - very happy with it - drawbacks - a little heavy and scoop too small (volume)

Other beach scoop bought on ebay for $165 + shipping - the scoop shape is dynamite and can handle dry sand/wet sand/ hard sand - the handle mount is the weakest point of the scoop and bogan has broken bits around the mount several times and had to be welded several times - removes way more sand than the Miami per shovel load - drawbacks - not designed to pry rocks and handle used has a lot to do with how effective it is.

Started with green Bunnings shovel and lots of holes - bought these about two weeks later and haven't looked back!

1400323879_image.jpg

Havnt tested it on beach but gave it the wack test up the shed bench, it probably won't like hacking at rocks but it's given me something to give beach detecting ago.
Cost $15 Time 3hr. 2 of which was walking round kmart with wifey'

Thanks Ramjet, I too am looking at a decent beach scoop, have been looking at the stainless ones from the Ukraine or Latvia, but after looking at SA Bogan's scoop, am wondering whether an aluminium one from RTG or similar would be the go. Stainless is good, just worried about the thickness of the steel in rock laden sand.

Good job Luke on the home made scoop, no need to spend hundreds of dollars in the dry stuff, most scoops should work fine there, it's the wet loads that really kill the lightly made scoops. Let us know how it goes. :)

What would be better, levering from the front or the rear of scoop? Ones used for a handle but it changes the angle. I haven't got a scoop yet so was wondering which one would be better?

1401190313__57.jpeg

1401190394__57-1.jpeg

I like the design of the second photo . Similar to one I've been looking at , though they are from the states and have laser cut holes which look superior for flow outlet . How much are these ? , I'm sure there is a thread with people talking about scoops on here...

Hi all, I have been using a Stavr Scoop (Krepisch v.11). Initially I put a fibreglass handle on it but I found that over time the grit wore away at the section inside the sleeve and the handle became loose as the screw holes rubbed and enlarged. I now have a stainless steel handle. It's a bit heavier but not too heavy, and it's rock solid. I just need to put a grip on the grab handle. The scoop cost about $200 delivered; the fibreglass handle was $25; the SS handle,done as a pair for a buddy and I cost $25. I also changed out the supplied 5mm phillips head screw and replaced with 6mm SS hex nut and bolt as that will be easier to remove if crusted up whereas the screw head might burr. Cheers.
1404447022_img_0002-horz.jpg

Just for reference, this is my new sand scoop with cheapy fibreglass handle from Mitre 10. It is the same Latvian scoop that SA Bogan currently uses.

1406277927_img_20140725_172147.jpg

1406277956_img_20140725_164034.jpg

I picked up one of those Starv scoops and I have put on a wooden handle. It's 3.2cm at the scoop end and gets thinker going up and thins out at the top. A strong handle but have I over done it, as it is 2.3kg. it doesn't sound much but a few hours on the beach it felt like a lot more. Finding a broom handle thick enough was a problem. I put a full scoop of sand in it Sunday and could feel it bend, didn't want to break it so I backed off. Only filled it part way.

Emailed a company asking about carbon poles and he said fiber glass would be better, as the stress of digging will break the carbon.

I read some forums about the fiber glass handles on shovels, they said wood is there choice as it will last longer. (As long you look after it) Wood splinters are easier to get out than fiberglass.

I still think carbon would be good as you see it go through so much on other items they make out of it. eg. Bikes

What are your thoughts?

I bought a $26 shovel it has a fibreglass handle with a
Metal pole inside it.

Works fine.

Don't over abuse it and low the water to seep in under
The sand and should be ok.

Latest posts