Adventure bike, detector and ya swag

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyndan

Andy
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a little post and see who has the same interest.
I've been riding trail bikes from the age of 5 and in recent years road bikes . A dream of mine is to set up an adventure bike to do an around Australia trip. Traveling from gold field to gold field. Spending a week or so at each stop doing a bit of stick swinging and enjoying the Australian bush . It would be more than luxury to have a support vehicle that carried everyone prospecting gear as we ride our motorcycles to the next destination. Add some thoughts everyone . It would be an amazing experience :)

Iv got a very similar interest tho don't have the time anymore.... But I'd like to add that over the last few years iv noticed the amount of trail bike riders at Tibooburra? Camping local and riding to camerons corner and back looks like the Norm tho there's actually a lot of tracks worth riding out and about the national park with camping grounds and such every hour or so' you could ride all the areas with little back up fuel if you based yourself in Tibooburra for a few days, plus squish in time for a swing.

I built up a DRZ 400 start of last year to do very similar trips but after doing a few day rides a few hours from home I decided it was never going to be a BMW, and to be frank the Postie was more comfortable and did a few weekend trips before selling that too, Iv got a quad I'm going to move on and if I get another bike I'll PM you for a trip.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Iv got a very similar interest tho don't have the time anymore.... But I'd like to add that over the last few years iv noticed the amount of trail bike riders at Tibooburra? Camping local and riding to camerons corner and back looks like the Norm tho there's actually a lot of tracks worth riding out and about the national park with camping grounds and such every hour or so' you could ride all the areas with little back up fuel if you based yourself in Tibooburra for a few days, plus squish in time for a swing.

I built up a DRZ 400 start of last year to do very similar trips but after doing a few day rides a few hours from home I decided it was never going to be a BMW, and to be frank the Postie was more comfortable and did a few weekend trips before selling that too, Iv got a quad I'm going to move on and if I get another bike I'll PM you for a trip.

Sounds great mate. I've been looking for the right gs1200 to set up. Though $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at the end of the day makes that hard. Ride a ktm530 at the moment but they are more of a day or 2 trip bike . We have to go to broken hill in October so will do about a weeks worth of swinging while we are out there. Unfortunately won't have the bikes though . :)

I've done many big trips on my DR650 carrying prospecting equipment and camping gear to the goldfields locally and interstate. It's a bit of a compromise if you don't have a support vehicle as you have to ride much more cautiously with a heavy load on the back but if you're not a big hoon it's not an issue and depending on the bike you can easily carry enough supplies to see you through 4-5 days in the bush. I notice in your sig you have an sdc2300. The perfect detector to take on an adventure trip on the bike IMO.

nuggetino said:
I've done many big trips on my DR650 carrying prospecting equipment and camping gear to the goldfields locally and interstate. It's a bit of a compromise if you don't have a support vehicle as you have to ride much more cautiously with a heavy load on the back but if you're not a big hoon it's not an issue and depending on the bike you can easily carry enough supplies to see you through 4-5 days in the bush. I notice in your sig you have an sdc2300. The perfect detector to take on an adventure trip on the bike IMO.

Yeh that's right nuggetino. My hoon years have long gone , the reason I didn't get my riders license till I was 30. I much rather riding like a grandpa now with a few little squirts here n there. The sdc2300 packs up so small it's perfect. Although I picture the Gpx5000 in a gun rack rather than a shot gun ... Much more fun

It would be awesome to line up a riders/prospectors trip one day . :)

hi folks
long time rider.. long time detectorist... not done the 2 together too often
how do you guys transport your detectors on the bike? dust vibration water impact damage are potential headaches
R1200GSA, F650GS, XT250, S2Ducati, Excalibur, 705 and a old battle horse gpx4000

- the swag as I set up camp for a day'
1423102647_image.jpg

I'll give it ago on a 2 wheeler next time as I had a lot of crap with me that didn't get used' one box had camping gear the other prospecting gear.

Great photo there Zuke was this taken in Tibooburra? How many days provisions were you carrying here?

I was going to do back in the early 90s with a mate, So I Bought a Bike and set it up, then he said about using my EX Army Land Rover going up in that so I said Ok, Then I spent the money on prepping that, I'LL be damned if he didn't find a Girl and go there with her.

To toecutta. Same here never done both together but i have seen a detector poking out the top of a fellows back pack before. Also it wouldn't be hard to make a custom rack system for longish thing like the detector and pick.

To zuke awesome pic mate

Riders and detectorist trip . :)

Andyndan said:
To toecutta. Same here never done both together but i have seen a detector poking out the top of a fellows back pack before. Also it wouldn't be hard to make a custom rack system for longish thing like the detector and pick.

To zuke awesome pic mate

I watched a 2 hour Bunch of guys doing A Similar thing on youTube, here it is,??

john

http://youtu.be/kykzQlL7wCA

Ridge Runner said:
Andyndan said:

To zuke awesome pic mate

I watched a 2 hour Bunch of guys doing A Similar thing on youTube, here it is,??

john

How amazing was that video ridge runner. I watched it earlier in the week. That is my dream trip . :)

Great way to travel spent years riding an old B.S.A with an old Goulding side car , went all over the place with pans, detectors a tent camping gear a missus and a young daughter we all had a ball .

Andyndan said:
Ridge Runner said:
Andyndan said:

To zuke awesome pic mate

john

How amazing was that video ridge runner. I watched it earlier in the week. That is my dream trip . :)

Yeah it was a blast Aye, they never did say how much the found, they just showed you that pot full over loading the Scales, either way I wouldn't mind being One Nugget Shy of their Total, I could live with that, :D

John

tin town said:
Great way to travel spent years riding an old B.S.A with an old Goulding side car , went all over the place with pans, detectors a tent camping gear a missus and a young daughter we all had a ball .

Well obviously the detectors and pans went in the side car. Where did you put the misses and your daughter haha :D

Andyndan said:
tin town said:

Well obviously the detectors and pans went in the side car. Where did you put the misses and your daughter haha :D

Someone had to Push,lololol

nuggetino said:
Great photo there Zuke was this taken in Tibooburra? How many days provisions were you carrying here?
5 days worth I only had a small cooler so no beers and meat only for the first 2 nights then the cooler became the bin for rubbish' the whole trip inc fuel cost $400 just shows the hassle of dragging a bike on a trailer does pay off, yes that is Tibooburra I found a few nuggets for the trip would have found a lot more if I wasn't on the bike the whole time as I got very close to the border at one stage' actually more fun than finding gold!

I carry my detector in a back pack. Don't have a photo of me on the move but here's the arrangement I have for trips out to the goldfields. This carribee pack I settled on has all the right pockets to fit my detecting gear in. Everything fits in snug and by wearing the pack while riding it minimizes vibrations though I usually loosen up the straps so it drops to the seat while riding to take the weight off my shoulders. Also I odn't feel particulary comfortable leaving my bike at a servo with $4500 worth of detecting equipment in my side panniers. I use the same set up when hiking out to more remote areas. I could see myself putting this pack on in addtion to loading up my bikes rear rack and panniers and carrying enough food and water for a week.

15827302643_2196198391_z.jpg

Pack with gpx4500, 2x coils (17x11 and 10x5) and harness, headphones etc.
Addtionally as seen.

1xgps

3l camelbak is kept in back pocket of main bag and contains
water, ofcourse :)
1x gps (spare)
first aid kit
1xplb

Things I also include that aren't pictured

My pick, Didn't have it on hand but it fits in just fine. The handle just follows up along the detector shaft and sticks out the top
snacks
matches
insect repellent
fly net

Depending where I am I'll hike into a remote area, set up and then leave my main pack hidden carrying only the camelbak to save a bit of weight. This is why my emergency equipment is kept there.

I use carabiner clips to make sure the zips on the pack won't open up and still allows the detector shaft to protrude from the bag. Also clip any pockets the carry valuables. I've had zips come undone in the past especially when bush bashing.

A few more pics
15827302663_5b378f03e6_z.jpg

15827303093_656a1b1a8c_z.jpg

15827303483_f183dcb62b_z.jpg

16261530237_a1787e0889_c.jpg

Ready to rock. My 50cc exploration rig. Still going strong. 600km range. I sometimes carry 5l extra water under the seat for overnight trips and hammock on the rear rack. unfortunately it's a matter of compromise as I can't carry a larger bike on the back of my van without a trailer.
15800731777_305676c69b_c.jpg

The DR650 would be the bike of choice for me on a solo adventure. I could easily carry the same pack I do on the scooter and enough provisions for a week of bush camping. Here's a couple shots of my DR650 on a solo crossing of the simpson desert.

15128464320_a88326cca6_c.jpg

15312023931_1b5fed826e_c.jpg

Enough food and water for 5 days not to mention lots of kit to get me out of a hairy situation which you probably would need if sticking to dirt roads. There's about 70kg of gear on the back. In other words I think you could pull off a big prospecting advenutre without a support vehicle though it's always more fun if you don't have to haul an heap of gear.

15128489289_f816a565c2_c.jpg

Outback camping north of coober pedy
15314802772_16d3938da5_c.jpg

To quote my girlfriend. 'Only you would take a hammock to the desert' It did make for a half decent bivi though.
Note my buddy filling up his KLR in the background. I won't begin to mention the trouble he had riding that thing in the sand but let's just say he wound up drinking all his water supply and most of mine due to exhaustion.

Latest posts