"GOLD"...It's not worth dying for.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
We are in the middle of the Gold hunting season and many these days are travelling further afield in the hunt for the elusive metal. Over the years we have seen many close calls where unprepared prospectors have come undone by not paying attention to the "What can go wrong" scenarios, which can really put you in situations that not only can spoil your trip, but actually put your life in significant danger. 😢 Preparation is in my opinion the most important factor in having either a great trip or a minor disaster.

IMG_1785 - Copy.JPG

The first thing that needs attention if you are heading to a remote location is the reliability of your vehicle, as it's broken down vehicles that cause a large part of the headaches for police in recovering under prepared vehicles, which in some cases should never have travelled outside city limits. Particular attention should be placed on a minimal amount of spares, including tyres, spare fan belts, tyre repair kits, electric or at least a hand winch, reasonable tool kit, spare fuel and oil filter / spare oil, and the list can go on depending on how remote you intend to travel. Having a second form of transport with you like another vehicle, Quad or motor bike, can also give peace of mind in case of a breakdown.

IMG_1756.JPG

After the vehicle is up to scratch the next important items are personal safety items. A good quality "well stocked" First Aid Kit is a must have item. The biggest "must have" in my opinion, is a reliable GPS with the knowledge of how to use it correctly, carried with you at all times and include a spare set of batteries. Water, carried in the form of a "camel back" or small back pack would be my second major "must have". Dehydration, especially on the "Western Australian" gold fields accounts for the biggest loss of life by far, and should not be taken lightly under any circumstances. The next major item in my view is a PLB, as if you do happen to get lost this will be your lifeline to those who will rescue you, or get you out in an "emergency" situation. Sturdy boots, sun protection, heavy duty gaiters, appropriate long sleeve shirt and trousers, and in certain areas a good quality "sporting whistle" is a handy item, as it can be heard for a much greater distance than yelling. ;) Two way radios can also be useful in very remote regions. What's mentioned so far is in my view just the basics, and many would add much more to this list.

IMG_1884.JPG

One item we never go away without is a good quality solar panel, as flat batteries from fridges, lights, detector charging etc ,is always on the cards and without power you are going nowhere fast. Our solar panel has saved us on many occasions even though we also have a 2kva Honda generator with us as well. Don't forget to tell someone where you are going and when you intend to leave that area. Above all do not become complacent and respect isolated locations for the dangers that they can easily inflict to the under prepared prospector. Enjoy your trips and stay safe out there in that big paddock......Cheers Wal.

Last edited:
Hi Wal n Liz.
Great advise and agree with all.
I'm in WA NOW and wish all to think of safety above gold.

Hope to catch up again soon somewhere in our great country.

Look after Liz, such a keeper.

John Watson

Good luck over there John. Was great to catch up with you on the last trip to Tibo. Hope the gold cooperates for you on this trip. We'll be back over there next winter for sure.

Good advice Wal and apart from not dying being prepared also helps very much promote the hobby in a positive light. Far to many venture into remote areas relying on the locals to "bail" them out when and if things go pear shaped. Also take some cash, as tree stumps believe it or not don't have eftpos facilities :rolleyes:

Good advice Wal and apart from not dying being prepared also helps very much promote the hobby in a positive light. Far to many venture into remote areas relying on the locals to "bail" them out when and if things go pear shaped. Also take some cash, as tree stumps believe it or not don't have eftpos facilities :rolleyes:

I still vividly remember a trip to a favourite gold location of ours in the remote Kimberly a few years ago, where we came across a young family well and truly bogged in their 4wd. They had been in that situation for 7 days and were almost out of food.
Luckily water wasn't a problem as that's what caused their dilemma in the first place. I would hate to think what could have happened had we not turned up when we did, as the nearest town was 140km away through some of the most inhospitable country we have encountered. Disaster can come in a blink of an eye, and something as simple as preparation can avoid heartbreak for family and friends when things go pear shaped. 😢

Have to agree there Wal N Liz. Love a dollar for every time some one has told me that a winch is a waste of money and you don't need one. :oops: My standard answer has always been, your right you don't need one ..................... until you do ;) Then without one your stuffed :cool:

Have to agree there Wal N Liz. Love a dollar for every time some one has told me that a winch is a waste of money and you don't need one. :oops: My standard answer has always been, your right you don't need one ..................... until you do ;) Then without one your stuffed :cool:

What made it worse they didn't even have a snatch strap or tow rope. You don't even go to Frazer Island without that let alone in the Kimberly.

Latest posts