⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome thats even better.... i nearly bought a 4000 last week, i still see most of the gold being got around ballarat coming from 4000'/4500s good to see your kicking some goal Mattem. hope we see plenty more of it.

you can get the 4000 pretty cheap well I think so anyway.I went halves with a mate from work and it's working out well for us. 2 newbie brains out in the goldfields trying to work out what's going on helps a lot

Found a heap of these detecting near an old mine yesterday. You can see the iron looking pieces inside the rock. There was a green colour to the surface and sands directly near the mine, the same as the colour surrounding the dark pieces in the rocks. I was wondering what they are as they are the first I have come across. I was wondering if the green is some kind of indicator of a chemical extraction process? Toxic?

IMAG0333.jpg

isolation said:
Found a heap of these detecting near an old mine yesterday. You can see the iron looking pieces inside the rock. There was a green colour to the surface and sands directly near the mine, the same as the colour surrounding the dark pieces in the rocks. I was wondering what they are as they are the first I have come across. I was wondering if the green is some kind of indicator of a chemical extraction process? Toxic?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/ferguson_01/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0333.jpg

It Looks like decomposed Copper ore to me, have you run a detector over it??

John

Yeah that's what made me stop and dig/pick them up, very strong signal with the SDC. It does have a decomposed look, so I'll take that diagnosis :)

Am thinking the grey metallic mineral is Chalcocite, and the associated green mineral may be Chrysocolla, a copper silicate. Might be an area of supergene enrichment where the water table has varied over time (you did mention sands), leaching out the copper from primary mineralisation deeper down, and reconcentrating it in the overlying sediments as secondary mineralisation. :)

Wally69 said:
Looks like ore from the copper mine behind Sunny Corner.

Wash your hands and don't suck your thumb.
l was there several months ago and saw the same ore around near a mine. Not sure how many they have in Sunny Corner might be the same one.

Wally69 said:
Looks like ore from the copper mine behind Sunny Corner.

Wash your hands and don't suck your thumb.

Copper mine??!! No wonder there was no gold there ;)

Great work Willo,

Those prickly pieces to the left of shot have not traveled far from the source at all.

Other bits look more washed.......found at same spot?

How did you go area gridding them?