Best region for gold detecting in Northern Teritory? And why?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear fellow Detectorists,
a friend and I are planing a three week Gold-Detecting Trip in the Northern Teritory in august, starting from Darwin. We will have a 4WD Camper. (A bit more about us you will find here )

At the moment we are starting to research possible areas to detect on, organize leases etc. But before we talk about how to research ( trilobite-app etc) the question right now is:
Which region would be the best, the most promissing? Which area should we focus on in our research?

As we understand, there are three main areas with a high gold prospectivity: Pine Creek, Tennant Creek and Arunta/Tanami region.

Which would you choose and why? Maybe taking into account not only factors like the highest gold prospectivity / nugget size :p, but maybe also the general availability of leases? condition of roads? Most comfortable climate/weather-conditions that time of the year? best detectable landscape/undergroth (flatland? rocky hills? grasland? trees? bushes?)

I am sure there are more factors, that should be taken into account that we did not think of... What would that be?

So the question at hand boils down to this: Where whould you love to spend two weeks of gold detecting in the NT in August. And why?

Loving to hear/read many different opinions... looking forward to your input.

Best regards from Berlin in Germany,
Christoph

Dear fellow Detectorists,
a friend and I are planing a three week Gold-Detecting Trip in the Northern Teritory in august, starting from Darwin. We will have a 4WD Camper. (A bit more about us you will find here )

At the moment we are starting to research possible areas to detect on, organize leases etc. But before we talk about how to research ( trilobite-app etc) the question right now is:
Which region would be the best, the most promissing? Which area should we focus on in our research?

As we understand, there are three main areas with a high gold prospectivity: Pine Creek, Tennant Creek and Arunta/Tanami region.

Which would you choose and why? Maybe taking into account not only factors like the highest gold prospectivity / nugget size :p, but maybe also the general availability of leases? condition of roads? Most comfortable climate/weather-conditions that time of the year? best detectable landscape/undergroth (flatland? rocky hills? grasland? trees? bushes?)

I am sure there are more factors, that should be taken into account that we did not think of... What would that be?

So the question at hand boils down to this: Where whould you love to spend two weeks of gold detecting in the NT in August. And why?

Loving to hear/read many different opinions... looking forward to your input.

Best regards from Berlin in Germany,
Christoph
Hi,
by now I think, Arunta/Tanami Region is too far off - so, which would you choose, Pine Creek or Tennant Creek region? What region would be better for a 14 day outback trip hunting, digging, sweating for gold... Would be great to hear your opinions and experience...
Not asking for the X on the map, just hoping for a general idea on which area to focus on when doing the research...
Christoph
PS What about flies that time of the year? August. Does it make a difference wether one is up north or further down south?

Latest posts