⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Big Nugget, welcome to the forum. Well the gold will be visible if its giving you a good signal. so smack the quartz hard with a lump hammer/sledge hammer with safety glasses on and break it into pieces. If you then cannot see some obvious gold the detector should tell you which piece of quartz has the gold in it. If each broken piece of quartz give a signal response then it may be iron or mineralisation giving you a signal.
Good luck. :)
RDD

Have you got a pin pointer you can find out where the main target area is on the quarts? That way you could chip off a lot that's got no gold in it without making a mess of the good bit' Shame to smash it to bits if it's a nice big specimen.

LOL :p

I have managed to smash it into 2.

I half ( smaller of 2) - no signal

larger half is still squealing :)

no real visible difference between the 2.

Whilst the little specks are too small for detector ( no pin pointer yet), there has to be a chunk inside it?

will have another shot at it tomorrow.

1408266734_6.jpg

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Big Nugget, welcome to the forum. Well the gold will be visible if its giving you a good signal. so smack the quartz hard with a lump hammer/sledge hammer with safety glasses on and break it into pieces. If you then cannot see some obvious gold the detector should tell you which piece of quartz has the gold in it. If each broken piece of quartz give a signal response then it may be iron or mineralisation giving you a signal.
Good luck. :)
RDD

thanks for the welcome RDD,

It sounded like a hot rock at first but once I dug down she squeals :)

running detector over it at home and there is no mistake on the tone.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Have you got a pin pointer you can find out where the main target area is on the quarts? That way you could chip off a lot that's got no gold in it without making a mess of the good bit' Shame to smash it to bits if it's a nice big specimen.

yeh, was thinking the same Zuke_Lynzy.

Is a shame to ruin a fine sample.

Hey Big Nugget was thinking more on your issue today.

If it were me, being such a large chunk of quartz, I wouldn't be over enthusiastic to dolly it up unless of course you cant see a lot of color after you have broken of some good chunks.

Keep chipping away as you are doing, and as you say, it just may reveal an unusual specie worth 5 times current spot price.

If you find all the gold is very fine throughout, then yes the dolly pot is your only choice in extraction.

But you know this!

Better hope there is not too much gold in there though........otherwise you will be sitting at home on a Saturday arvo, watching the footy with your first beer, and the wife will come storming in demanding why you are not out there swinging that coil ;)

HeadsUp said:
Heatho said:
5 times spot for a speci or Nugget? Not many people would pay that............ You could try though. :)

5x to 50x for a clean crystaline sample

Ok fair enough, just did a search and well yes you are 100% correct. :p

I guess anything can be worth what someone will pay though.

In our travels through Clermont QLD, Harro and I both found some gold using our GPX5000's. I have posted a pic of before, during and after cleaning. Total weight after cleaning is 12.8 grams. My first big nugget (well big for a beginner) came in at 8 g's before cleaning and 7.3 g's after cleaning. I dug about 1 1/2 feet to get it in really hard ground. Harro found the quartz samples which are pretty neat. Found a whole container of bullets, lead shot etc before finding any gold, so were excited when we found the real thing!!! We are getting quite used to the GPX's and have learnt so much and met many great folk while on the road.
Before Cleaning
1408411023_before_cleaning-optimized.jpg

During Cleaning
1408411042_during_cleaning-optimized.jpg

After Cleaning
1408411056_after_cleaning-optimized.jpg

Latest posts