⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1407276778_dscn0304.jpg

Hi all,
Thought I would post some of my early finds.
These are from Gulgong and are the first nuggets that I found in the early 80s, with the smallest of the two coming from in town near the hardware store and the 2nd larger one from near Home rule. I was using a Tesoro Lobo when I found the larger nugget and both were sunbakers.
1407475987_gulgong80s.jpg

:lol: That was near the hardware store, not at it, though you would get a lot of targets at the store :lol: ... and that was over 30 years ago just after rain.

I've heard people say that they used to get gold in the stone gutters out there after rain. I know of a couple of places in the town that golds been found so it's no surprise. The "golden octopus" spread out in all directions from Red Hill & some deep leads remain untouched under the town.
Bugger detecting the hardware store - imagine the junk, old nails, nuts, bolts etc. :eek:

It's the only gold that I have found In the town itself (Have never looked for it in town). I have also heard the same thing about gold being found in the gutters after rain, but that would most likely have been before the roads were sealed.

In the late 70s and early 80s when I lived down that way, there was still a lot of mullock heaps near town, I found small gold on a lot of these mainly by taking samples away and panning them. Unfortunately, these heaps are long gone as I would love to run the my new 5000 over them now.

Gold in the gutters was before my time but it's a story older locals tell.
Have heard about the mullock heaps too. Few signs of gold mining remain now unless you know where to look.

I lived in/near Gulgong for around 10 years - during the 80s and I can tell you that within a short few years of that, the once many mullock heaps that were in town on the outskirts and just out of town disappeared quickly, now they are either flat paddocks or have buildings on them. The landscape has changed so much.

Hi all,

was going over some old mullock heaps near Bendigo.

Found this lump of quarts about 20" down that made the detector squeal. (TDI Pro 6"coiltek).

Looks like maldonite/bismouth with bits of gold but not really sure?

Is approx. 1ft x 8" in size. very heavy.

1408259515_1.jpg

1408259551_5.jpg

cheers ;)

Latest posts