Why I hate the sdc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a detectorist, yet, but if you are walking through the bush looking for "a likely spot" I would be carrying the detector with me with it turned on, the number of youtube videos that start with the words "I was just on the way back to the car and ... "

I often walk areas without the detector - why? Because if your concentrating on detecting your not "looking" properly & if your "looking" properly your not concentrating on detecting.
Sometimes I'll even have a quick 10min walk around places I have done some detecting just to see if anything might catch my attention before starting. Other times if things have gone quiet I will stop detecting & have a look around + think about the area a bit.
Luck is just that luck. Finding by "looking" & thinking will lead to more consistent finds in my opinion.
RS if your over this way give us a yell. I'm off until Wednesday & will head out somewhere before then.
I reckon spending half a day looking around & taking some notes is time well spent. Something we should all do, but we don't, especially in unfamiliar areas.

p.s I don't consider myself to be a gun detectorist, I have mates that are much more competent than I am, but I have had only 1 goldless trip to date with the SDC. I don't consider that lucky but maybe some good advice from others is starting to sink in? :lol: Waiting for luck to kick in might take a while.

Thanks mate, I would love to get out your way again but we are off to NZ for a week from Sunday. Ill PM you when we can next get out your way and hopefully that will line up with some of your days off.

I do like the concept of walking and then finding and concentrating on a single area rather than wandering aimlessly looking at the ground and "seeing" nothing else.

Cheers

RS, if I ping any at HE next week I'll share the exact spot with you mate, I think there is plenty there to be had with the SDC, just need to dig a lot of trash to get a bit. I reckon a good look around is the go also. I'd offer to come with you too but it would be like the blind leading the blind. :)

It's easy to go too fast with the SDC too, you really want overlap your swings and keep the coil gently on the ground in known Gold diggings.

Hope you get some soon.

Heatho said:
Hope you get some soon.

I do too mate but such is a married mans life. But I still want to find some SDC gold as well!!!! :lol:

Hey Heatho that's a generous offer PM me or you may find your secret spot turned inside out by high graders!!! :|

I will return the favour when I hit the mother lode!!!!!

Retirement Stone said:
Thanks "T" for the moral support. I am sure I am just going through learning pains :rolleyes:

I will try that next time, ignore the screamers and concentrate on the more subtle threshold changes which I can now recognise.

Thanks for your advice and support.

Cheers :)
A 5 grammer or bigger will sound just like a rusty can :)

Latest posts