Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent point. The competition is likely playing catchup for a while yet, nice someone is paying mind to those that don't want to take out a personal loan to go gold hunting though. PI tech should be available new at a reasonable price without the dated machine....and warranty.

downhalo said:
Outback said:
Minelab should take note that their detectors cost far to much , eg their GPX5000 thats 2010 technology is still over $6000 ! :/

This SPP is a bargain if it works OK on our bad ground .

Minelab won't take note of the price, because its a Whites TDI SL with a shiny new SPP sticker on it.. they're decent entry level detectors, Probably on par with an SD 2100-2200..

For what you pay you're getting a great deal, but think about the capabilities of the GPX 5000, comparing the 2 is laughable..

also, its more like 2004-2008 technology, the GPX circuits are all pretty dated, but hey.. if it ain't broke :)

Think your on the mark Downhalo , remember when I payed $4900 for a SD2100 back in 1996 ' that same money in todays dollars would buy double .
But what pisses off about ML was when they offered their detectors cheaper in the USA ' even when our dollar was below parity :eek:

Just look their share price these days ~ :8

Rant over
Outback .

Hi all,

Zuke, have you used/tried a SPP in hot ground?

Jim & Kerrie

No. Iv got a TDI pro and love it. But interested to know as the TDI pro is amazing what I'm interested in is getting a TDi sl for the wife if the ground bal in the SPP behaves, the conductivity switch on the TDI is what allows it to DISC out junk or be used as a coin detector.
When I get a chance over the next few weeks I'm sure goldsearch would allow me to sneek the demo SPP out for a hour.

Jim. said:
Hi all,

Zuke, have you used/tried a SPP in hot ground?

Jim & Kerrie

My TDI SL runs fine in hot ground, quick balance and its good to go, can't imagine the SPP being any different, it is a PI after all.

Jim. said:
Think your on the mark Downhalo , remember when I payed $4900 for a SD2100 back in 1996 ' that same money in todays dollars would buy double .
But what pisses off about ML was when they offered their detectors cheaper in the USA ' even when our dollar was below parity yikes
Just look their share price these days ~ ops
Rant over
Outback .

I've always said, You pay for more than you get with a minelab, but you'll always be happy with a minelab.. Was my GPX 4800 worth $4900? eh i guess.. I was upgrading from a GP 3000 and boy did it make a difference.
but when you take a look inside, you know that even with R&D costs it wasn't really worth what you paid..

As for the cheaper price in America, add 10% GST and you have your answer.. Kellyco have them for $5750, + 10% $6325... My detecting buddy just picked up his 5000 for $6395... kinda sucks but that's the way it is.

At the end of the day any detector no matter what cost is still a toy' I think the lower cost of some of the other products out there now give one the option to see if they enjoy any dream without maxing the credit card or upsetting the wife.
The SPP does just that.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
At the end of the day any detector no matter what cost is still a toy' I think the lower cost of some of the other products out there now give one the option to see if they enjoy any dream without maxing the credit card or upsetting the wife.
The SPP does just that.

Hey Zuke,
I have two new theories to winning an argument with the wife. Sadly, neither one works..... :eek:

Hey, if it does what you need, and you're happy.. go with it.. I actually love my F1A4, its simple. switch on, go swing. which is a good comparison to the SPP actually, they respond to nuggets about the same size, and depth.. although the detection field of the F1 is a little better.

I don't believe the F1A4 is better, timings would be different as its only made for detecting small metal parts, not gold, that's why they are on eBay with upgrades like timing settings and thresholds etc.
Sorry just my opinion, as it maybe a dedicated machine just not dedicated for gold.

Cheers

paul_mac1 said:
I don't believe the F1A4 is better, timings would be different as its only made for detecting small metal parts, not gold, that's why they are on eBay with upgrades like timing settings and thresholds etc.
Sorry just my opinion, as it maybe a dedicated machine just not dedicated for gold.

Cheers

No need to apologize for an opinion..

Didn't actually say the F1A4 was better, but owing both machines i can't safely say it is "comparable" pulse, reflect, if it hits a metal object it will energize it.. simple as that.

People love to overcomplicate things.. No detector on earth is a "GOLD DETECTOR"

the whites SPP is no different, nor is it any more effective... As for the F1A4, In comparison to my TDI SL, the TDI falls short, how? .. Oscilloscope tells me everything i need to know.
Less power per pulse.. means less depth, less chance to energize a deeper target..

Either way, I'll say your money is better spent on the Whites than the F1A4... Warranty is gold :)

Hi downhalo
I'm torn between detector at the moment, I already have vlfs but they aren't capable of finding gold, the choice in the $$$ price range is huge, I think I need to try a couple out first and see how they perform where we go.

Thanks for your input
Cheers
Paul

downhalo said:
paul_mac1 said:

Cheers

No need to apologize for an opinion..

Didn't actually say the F1A4 was better, but owing both machines i can't safely say it is "comparable" pulse, reflect, if it hits a metal object it will energize it.. simple as that.

People love to overcomplicate things.. No detector on earth is a "GOLD DETECTOR"

the whites SPP is no different, nor is it any more effective... As for the F1A4, In comparison to my TDI SL, the TDI falls short, how? .. Oscilloscope tells me everything i need to know.
Less power per pulse.. means less depth, less chance to energize a deeper target..

Either way, I'll say your money is better spent on the Whites than the F1A4... Warranty is gold :)

I'd check out that SPP, I love my TDI, its light, and runs for hours on the AA's, depth is great, sensitivity is good too, few tips i have are basically low and slow, the TDI machines don't ping (energize) small targets if you're moving too quickly.
Not many options around for $1000-$2000..

As to the VLF comment about they don't find gold.. You're right, generally most of the gold found is with PI's.. because most people out swinging are using PI's..

I've had success with my cheap little Fisher Gold Bug SE, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT gold, Eureka, they're all capable, in my opinion people just don't use them correctly. I never found a thing in inglewood with my VLF machines until i started hitting the dry creeks/gullies with exposed bedrock, usually i'll take my pick, and folding shovel, clear as much overburden as i can, then detect it... after learning that little trick i started finding gold..

Unfortunately they're really limited, unless the ground is super neutral you're going to hear a lot of crap noise..

Funny how the SPP is sold under a different name, and with an elliptical coil as stock coil for the African market. All reference to the Sierra branding has been removed and replaced with GMT. (Africans probably don't relate to the Jimmy Sierra Normandi branding). Same goes for the Sierra Super Trac, renamed the Whites GMT GT.

Also notice the reference to it comparing with the Minelab gpx4500, but for 40% less cash outlay. Seems the SPP might have been developed to try and undercut Minelab's sales on the African market, they have certainly succeeded on pricing.

1401799365_product-superpulse1.png

http://gmtmetaldetector.com/products/gmt-superpulse/

Not really, think of the things all over the world that are the same, but branded differently, it's all to do with getting a name that sells for each area/country.

Yeah they would have to be, I'm sure a name one place would offend some place else.. Don't know why they just didn't leave it named TDI SL.. lol

It's not the same as the TDI SL, even more simplified controls. The preset pulse delay and hi/all/low conductivity switch removed. Instead it has two tones for either high or low conductivity.

TDI SL top photo, SPP bottom photo
1401866074_file.jpeg

1401866099_post-1-0-81811100-1398947438.jpeg

Take a look inside, and you'll see a tiny trim pot to set to adjust the pulse delay.... its the same circuitry, You cannot R&D a completely NEW detector and sell it for $1195, unless its a $100 VLF ebay job

Seeing the GPX 5000 costs over $5000 more then a SPP I wonder how much more gold will it get for the extra 5 grand ?

Like to know the performance specifications on both ' for mineralised ground with the ML using the same sized coil & fixed setting :/

$5000 these days is a lot of savings !

Latest posts