Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be interested in your results too, as I'm trying to bend the mrs 's arm to get one, got to sell my ace 350 and fisher f4 first tho.

Cheers,
Paul

how well does the detector detect a small lead ball from a shotgun cartridge?

These are about 2mm in diameter.

Thanks

Hi Wolfau,

I have just air tested as shown (not in ideal conditions) . The detector came with a 300mm Mono coil which is not good for small sub gram targets.

All measurements are approx as I did not have a measure with me.

2mm lead shot = 150mm
5 cent piece = 250mm
10 cent piece = 350mm
20 cent piece = 450mm
50 cent piece = 600mm

As stated these tests were taken in the rain and in unknown ground conditions ( a little noisy).

Hope this helps

Regards Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Would be great to do some tests in iron stone infested
Hot ground.

Keep us updated though if this happens.

Thanks

I wonder if goldsearch rent these units out, would be interesting to take to the mountains here in sa where ironstone and quarts are in huge quantities.......might give them a call this week

Hi all,

I wonder how good these will work in the hot ground around Central Australia (where I live and detect) I to would love to hire one and try it out. Unfortunately the closest detector shop is a good 1200km away :(

My wife's keen to get her own detector. I'm keen to get mine back off her, something like this would be perfect for us

Keep the reviews coming, I makes interesting reading :)

Jim & Kerrie

If you can't hire one you can hire a TDI pro and just run it in 'all' this will be how this machine will behave.

It will be a very simple detector to operate, it will make high & low tones for targets.
High tones = smaller gold, nails, small lead, low conductive targets.
Low tones = Large gold, large iron, copper & silver coins, high conductive targets.
It's locked in at 10 usec delay which is fine unless you want to run huge coils But you won't need to anyway. Also should work excellent on the beach only digging low tones for coins, there is a few movies on youtube with the TDI on the beach using it in All mode.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
It will be a very simple detector to operate, it will make high & low tones for targets.
High tones = smaller gold, nails, small lead, low conductive targets.
Low tones = Large gold, large iron, copper & silver coins, high conductive targets.
It's locked in at 10 usec delay which is fine unless you want to run huge coils But you won't need to anyway. Also should work excellent on the beach only digging low tones for coins, there is a few movies on youtube with the TDI on the beach using it in All mode.

As Zuke_Lynzy has stated this detector is simple to operate, I have just gone out this morning and purposely detected under power distribution lines to see what happens. The machine ground balanced perfectly with no noise and ran well, unfortunately no gold :( but I did get a .22 bullet and a .222 cartridge, these were recovered at around 100mm for the bullet and 200mm for the cartridge and were both strong signals.

Regards

Turps123

Pretty hard to knock back a brand new, simple to use PI detector with decent timings for gold, and a warranty for that price. Looking forward to more reports on this detector. :)

Minelab should take note that their detectors cost far to much , eg their GPX5000 thats 2010 technology is still over $6000 ! :/

This SPP is a bargain if it works OK on our bad ground .

Think how easy the GMT is to use' well same basic controls but in a PI. Obviously not as good on tiny gold but excellent in hot ground. A fair trade off if you ask me, and more depth.

Outback said:
Minelab should take note that their detectors cost far to much , eg their GPX5000 thats 2010 technology is still over $6000 ! :/

This SPP is a bargain if it works OK on our bad ground .

Minelab won't take note of the price, because its a Whites TDI SL with a shiny new SPP sticker on it.. they're decent entry level detectors, Probably on par with an SD 2100-2200..

For what you pay you're getting a great deal, but think about the capabilities of the GPX 5000, comparing the 2 is laughable..

also, its more like 2004-2008 technology, the GPX circuits are all pretty dated, but hey.. if it ain't broke :)

Latest posts