Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not LW as if you could pay your rent then in most cases a house payment would have been less ? I think every average Joe out there has had the ups and downs in life, at around 15 years of age I lived on a can of baked beans for each three days for months on end. Didn't even have 10 cents to catch a tram to work but the plus side was, it toughened me up for the hard times life threw at me in later years. Then when I relate it to situations such as what the people in Ukraine - Turkey are enduring at this present time, it all becomes very minor by comparison.
And I lived in 'ole in road, I did ! o_O

I think your last sentence gives perspective - we have an extremely wealthy population on average (or median!) and very high standard of living - taking much longer to buy a house is not everything in life, we are not living in tents with insufficient food. We have a low poverty level (it is tough if you are poor here, but except for a tiny percentage who slip through the cracks, it is mainly tough relative to other Australians, not relative to most of the world).

1676073149966.png 1676073371241.png

And our life spans are the longest in the world.

We need to focus more on that tiny minority - and on happiness of the population (though we are about 10th in the world for happiness of our population, which is not bad). A feeling of security rather than income level is probably important with happiness (and of course lack of wars, ethnic conflicts etc). The knowledge that your children will get a reasonable education, that you will get medical treatment, that you won't be likely to live on the street in old age). I think medical is the one we must not let slip, the others are fairly assured. We can find faults, but overall we do fairly well.

1676073566787.png

I really got into cooking when I saw Stravros on the telly doing his barbecue cooking. I think he started the huge number of cooking shows taking off and the kettle barbecue, smoking at home etc. great show. Kalearetsi .
Dear Mum taught me to cook (never did master her roast vegies) and also taught me to sew. Enjoy cooking and do most to this day. Enjoyed learning about daily life. Dad not only taught me how to shoot but also the safety aspect. Always uncock the rifle. If climbing through or over a fence always pass rifle through fence and lay on the ground before climbing.
Bought a $20 sewing machine at a garage sale decades ago. Sewed shade cloth sides and floor for caravan awning. Sewed canvas bags and covers for our prospecting gear and many other projects.

Dear Mum taught me to cook (never did master her roast vegies) and also taught me to sew. Enjoy cooking and do most to this day. Enjoyed learning about daily life. Dad not only taught me how to shoot but also the safety aspect. Always uncock the rifle. If climbing through or over a fence always pass rifle through fence and lay on the ground before climbing.
Bought a $20 sewing machine at a garage sale decades ago. Sewed shade cloth sides and floor for caravan awning. Sewed canvas bags and covers for our prospecting gear and many other projects.

Very much like me Peter but I sold my electric Singer machine and now use Sandra's more fancy one. It does shade cloth very well but I have a lot of trouble with the UV thread unravelling at the needle.

I never smoked (since I got 4 welts across the butt from the cane) and I never drank (since I came home sick as a dog after my first party at 14) so I usually had sufficient money throughout life to enjoy a few extras like motor racing.

There were many things that my Mum taught me for which I am thankful apart from having good manners. Mum taught me to iron and for most of my working life travelling to various states for business, the first thing i did when i got to my accommodation was iron my shirts for the week, then I could go for a drink. Cheers Mackka

Wife tells me that milk went up 20cents per litre.
I tried to get a list of the locked down prices in the major supermarkets with so success however one thing i have noticed is that items that were regularly on special, now are no longer, e.g. butter.
Being a cynic, I wondering if the price of beef will drop if China comes back on line or will we still be gouged as we have been for years?

My CBA mortgage interest charged has gone up nearly 100% (double) since rates started to climb, that will reflect in revenue for CBA variable housing loans. It won’t reflect until Q3 2023 year on year. Mark my words!

I’m no politician but I certainly know how to read a balance sheet. The only thing I’d ever use a banks balance sheet for is to wipe my backside, toilet paper has more integrity, used toilet paper too for that matter.

Anyone who places the upmost integrity in a banks balance sheet had better ensure that bank came out squeaky clean in the recent royal commission 💡

CBA expected to make $5 billion profit in just six months!​

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...s/news-story/5308ac57d288e6480116da3b7b5421a4
Gas consumer prices are skyrocketing, apparently its all due to the market shortage from the Ukraine war. We in Oz are paying the equivalent to export prices

Petrol and Diesel have also hits highs, yet crude is only at ~$80. It doesn't make sense, they say there's also a shortage of crude due to the Ukraine war, but the price is saying a completely different story.

Mod edit: No political comments thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBA expected to make $5 billion profit in just six months!​

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...s/news-story/5308ac57d288e6480116da3b7b5421a4
Gas consumer prices are skyrocketing, apparently its all due to the market shortage from the Ukraine war. We in Oz are paying the equivalent to export prices

Petrol and Diesel have also hits highs, yet crude is only at ~$80. It doesn't make sense, they say there's also a shortage of crude due to the Ukraine war, but the price is saying a completely different story.

Mod edit: No political comments thanks.
"That’s compared to $4.75 billion in cash profits the bank generated in a similar period the year before".

Not to worry Graham, as I turned 80 last year, I was wondering what I could contribute as age seems to be catching up with me as well. 12 months ago, blokes younger than me would complain that I should slow down and I always said, I will keep going while I can. Last July after a typical 3 day field planning trip that included 10,000+ steps in a day, one of my knees that has been iffy since playing footy as a young bloke, played up badly and a visit to a quack found that it was bone on bone issue, which led to plans for a partial knee replacement. But 1 week after the knee issue showed its head, I was having problems with my hands and this was initially considered by my doc to be spinal deterioration up near the neck. But knee surgeon sent me to have further tests regarding the hands and found severe carpal tunnel compression in both wrists. So spinal surgeon said I needed Carpal tunnel surgery before he would look further at impact of the neck deterioration, and may as well get knee done as well. Now knee is down, carpal tunnel done on both wrists, so spinal surgeon is sending me off to have neck injections to help him determine whether surgery is suitable to fix all impact of the neck problems.
That will take several months of course and lots of $$ each visit and likely this time next year I will still be wondering if I am ever going to feel normal again. Lots more to go wrong of course, but I am still saying I will still keep doing stuff while I can, as I detest sitting around on my backside.

I visited QLD in July last year and one of my twin sisters 10 years older than me had one useless arm. She had to give up cooking on cattle stations, a job she loved. A good offshore friend in the medical profession put he onto a surgeon in Brisbane who could repair her stuffed shoulder. He took tissue from somewhere behind the ear, cultured it in the lab and then injected it into the shoulder joint. It took a few treatments because he did her neck as well but now she's back in the workforce at 79 and loving it.

My wife was talking to her cousin whom was talking to rellies in Europe and she was informed that GM food now includes flour made from dried maggots. Interesting because i am told they are very high in protein. Years ago i had a boss whom was kept alive in the jungles of New Guinea during WWII after he was shot by the opposing force, by maggots that kept his wound clean by eating the dead flesh. Mackka

My wife was talking to her cousin whom was talking to rellies in Europe and she was informed that GM food now includes flour made from dried maggots. Interesting because i am told they are very high in protein. Years ago i had a boss whom was kept alive in the jungles of New Guinea during WWII after he was shot by the opposing force, by maggots that kept his wound clean by eating the dead flesh. Mackka
Your second point is valid even today in some modern hospitals:
https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/your-visit/patient-leaflets/tissue-viability/maggot-therapy

My wife and i went to do our weekly shopping yesterday only to find the special on Sweet Potatoes didn’t exist due to out of stocks.
My wife pointed out all the staff picking products for home deliveries, heaps of trollies and she said why do you think prices continue to go up? Someone has to pay the staff, the driver, the fuel etc.etc.
Yep Muggins is paying for it.

My wife and i went to do our weekly shopping yesterday only to find the special on Sweet Potatoes didn’t exist due to out of stocks.
My wife pointed out all the staff picking products for home deliveries, heaps of trollies and she said why do you think prices continue to go up? Someone has to pay the staff, the driver, the fuel etc.etc.
Yep Muggins is paying for it.
Prolly those staff were once checkout staff, now that is gone and they make us into our own check out staff....?

The vegans expect us to eat crickets and insects.
A few years back i had a few dogs in my kennels and one day during a daily clean up i saw a cricket half eaten by round worms and still alive.
Crickets eat the eggs of parasites like round worms.

Good luck vegans might be why they are the way they are. 💩💩

Latest posts