Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know where all the years have gone. It seems like only yesterday that I was arranging my Fathers funeral, but that was 50 years ago. I am sure there isn’t 24 hours in a day and every day seems to be Friday as I am sure I only put the bin out yesterday. As a kid I couldn’t wait for my birthday and that special one of turning 10, only because of the number nothing else. Enjoy each day and try to make someone smile and always say Please and Thank You. Mackka

Just found our Tax returns, mine for 1966 was income $2149.00, tax was $275.80 and I got a refund of $28.02. At the time I was a Brake Mechanic. My wife for 1968, income was $2143.00 tax was $258.69 and she got a refund of $9.24. she was a Secretary.
Found a few more bits. We paid $500.00 deposit on the house, got a Bank Loan of $7000.00, borrowed $4000.00 from wife's Grandfather and my parents gave us $1000.00. We were in debt all over the place. Other calculations at the time by wife show that we had $12.00 for bills, $12.00 for food and that left $5.00 each for petrol and extras to get to work. We borrowed the lesser amount from the Bank as we could not afford the repayments on the amount that was needed. My wife think that we were paying about 7 to 8% interest on the Bank loan.

Graham

I don’t know where all the years have gone. It seems like only yesterday that I was arranging my Fathers funeral, but that was 50 years ago. I am sure there isn’t 24 hours in a day and every day seems to be Friday as I am sure I only put the bin out yesterday. As a kid I couldn’t wait for my birthday and that special one of turning 10, only because of the number nothing else. Enjoy each day and try to make someone smile and always say Please and Thank You. Mackka
The worst bit about getting old is having to slide so far down the year of birth on an application to find that yours is almost at the very end.

Just before the Black Stump there are some now Mackka....:D
We were discussing when housing loans were 17% - during the Keating era. ;) We actually bought in Ballarat for $92,000. I remember after the 60s nickel boom I had to decide between an overseas holiday and buying two town houses in Carlton (for $9,000 or $12,000 total I think). I decided on the holiday (backpacked for a year from Timor to Europe and Russia). Never regretted it (you can't backpack once you have kids and financial responsibilities). . First got a mortgage in my late 30s but still ended up OK.

I feel that part of the problem now is that youngsters are not willing to start at the cheap end of the market, so those houses are demolished and expensive new ones built in their place. My first table was a large cardboard carton with a sheet of ply-wood on top. We did not worry so much about keeping up with the neighbours, paid off a cheap house, upgraded, then again.

Goldie, where can I find one of your $150,000 houses apart from out past the Black Stump?
plenty of blocks of land going cheap out at the black stump makka
one council moved a heap of worker dongas of their land ,divided into housing blocks and sold most of them and 2 years later not one house built
but the problem when buying, is the banks will not lend money to build there unless you have 50% deposit
so much for helping with the housing shortage

We were discussing when housing loans were 17% - during the Keating era. ;) We actually bought in Ballarat for $92,000. I remember after the 60s nickel boom I had to decide between an overseas holiday and buying two town houses in Carlton (for $9,000 or $12,000 total I think). I decided on the holiday (backpacked for a year from Timor to Europe and Russia). Never regretted it (you can't backpack once you have kids and financial responsibilities). . First got a mortgage in my late 30s but still ended up OK.

I feel that part of the problem now is that youngsters are not willing to start at the cheap end of the market, so those houses are demolished and expensive new ones built in their place. My first table was a large cardboard carton with a sheet of ply-wood on top. We did not worry so much about keeping up with the neighbours, paid off a cheap house, upgraded, then again.
I think you will find that All the 'First Home-owner grants and things like that only apply to 'New Builds" or 'Knock and Re-build".... ...Each state has different schemes.. Designed to keep the House building Industry afloat as well.. And it has worked for them...💰💰💰

In a way when I look back Im kind of thinking that Im glad I didn't buy a House... With our ups and downs , I would have lost it to the banks...😞

Bet you wished plastic Milk crates were around then goldierocks...🤣...
There will be a shortage of them soon as Overseas Uni Students returning back now, use them for furniture... Some set-ups are absolutely a work of Art... :oops:

LW.....

I think you will find that All the 'First Home-owner grants and things like that only apply to 'New Builds" or 'Knock and Re-build".... ...Each state has different schemes.. Designed to keep the House building Industry afloat as well.. And it has worked for them...💰💰💰

In a way when I look back Im kind of thinking that Im glad I didn't buy a House... With our ups and downs , I would have lost it to the banks...😞

There will be a shortage of them soon as Overseas Uni Students returning back now, use them for furniture... Some set-ups are absolutely a work of Art... :oops:

LW.....
There were steel milk crates, but they were not high enough to put your knees under. I upgraded to a huge solid wood (not veneer) table that I wish I had now...Bed was a mattress on the floor. I survived (but totalled my remaining coins each week out of my clothing).

In Victoria you can get the grant based on the cost of refurbishment after the purchase date - but few would have money for that after the deposit.

Age is certainly catching up with me, but it’s the mileage that’s done the damage.
Look after your knees, hips and back, they’re kinda important. Also, wear the dorky looking hearing protection; deafness sucks more than you think…

Ageing is inevitable. Focus on doing what you can do, not on what you can no longer do.

My back plays up after a while detecting or otherwise geologizing. But I still have my marbles so I get satisfaction from giving others useful advice for them to use fossicking.

What were we talking about again.......? o_O

LW.....
Probably not LW as if you could pay your rent then in most cases a house payment would have been less ? I think every average Joe out there has had the ups and downs in life, at around 15 years of age I lived on a can of baked beans for each three days for months on end. Didn't even have 10 cents to catch a tram to work but the plus side was, it toughened me up for the hard times life threw at me in later years. Then when I relate it to situations such as what the people in Ukraine - Turkey are enduring at this present time, it all becomes very minor by comparison.

Last edited:
Wrong side of sixty. Recently updated Polar HRM watch to one that gives you feedback on your fitness. Tend to overdo it whilst bike riding which I still love doing. Found walk don't run is the go. Plenty of hills to get heart rate up. Reckon still getting fitter again with more stamina. Am trying Polar suggested exercises for body strength. It's working though must look a site of not coming close to what the YouTube clips show. It even monitors sleep patterns. And makes suggestions on exercise and sleep.

Attachments

• 20230211_092923.jpg
    20230211_092923.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Wrong side of sixty. Recently updated Polar HRM watch to one that gives you feedback on your fitness. Tend to overdo it whilst bike riding which I still love doing. Found walk don't run is the go. Plenty of hills to get heart rate up. Reckon still getting fitter again with more stamina. Am trying Polar suggested exercises for body strength. It's working though must look a site of not coming close to what the YouTube clips show. It even monitors sleep patterns. And makes suggestions on exercise and sleep.
I am old, I know I'm working when I begin puffing, and I know I'm sleeping when I'm dreaming.
We all know it is a sign of the times with all the available gadgets but at the end of the day it all comes down to self management. More time doing it opposed to sitting staring at screens what YouTube, Polar etc tells us we should look like or be doing.

The dangers of sitting: why sitting is the new smoking

• Sitting or lying down for too long increases your risk of chronic health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes and some cancers.
  • Too much sitting can also be bad for your mental health.
  • Being active is not as hard as you think. There are lots of simple ways to include some physical activity in your day.

yes I agree Nightjar, we all need to keep active as we age, and retirement is not just another name for Re- tired

I like to keep busy making stuff in my shed, heck I even built a forge to heat up metal, (like it not hot enough during summer anyway) and change the shape of the metal into well metal art 🤔

gotta do something while waiting to go on the next detecting trip 😁

cheers dave

Latest posts