Which small mono for small shallow gold & GPX4500?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the new release GPX4500 and need to get a small mono coil to find small shallow gold in the Vic Golden Triangle. I'm tossing up between:
1. Minelab Commander 8" $235
2. Coiltek 6" Goldstalker $171
3. Nugget Finder 8x6" Sadie $295
I'm thinking the smaller the coil the better the sensitivity so the Coiltek may be the best.
I appreciate it is the smallest and will need to do more work to cover the same ground as the others. However, as I'd be going very low and slow in select areas I don't see the size much of an issue.
I'm not being motivated by price. I just want the best coil to find the most small shallow gold.
I like the idea that the NF Sadie is stated as being potted removing the risk of false signals when bumping the coil. Others brands don't mention this feature. Could be why the NF is more expensive.
Anyone know more about the specs and performance?
Any recommendations?
Thanks Dig'n-it :)

I've got a NF 12 x 7. I'm only new to the hobby (3 months). The coil was so quiet I thought I was doing something wrong until I found a piece of gold with it. Now I pretty much find gold every time I go out with it. Smallest nugget .08g. It's my fav coil. I also have an 8" and 11" commander.

PhaseTech said:
On a 4500 (which doesn't have Fine Gold) the 6" gold stalker is a sweet coil.

Thanks Phasetech.
The 4500 does have sensitive smooth which is described in the manual as ideal for mono coils and shallow small gold. Do you have any experience with this mode and agree with it?
Appreciate your input. Cheers Dig'n-it ?

Chuky boy said:
I've got a NF 12 x 7. I'm only new to the hobby (3 months). The coil was so quiet I thought I was doing something wrong until I found a piece of gold with it. Now I pretty much find gold every time I go out with it. Smallest nugget .08g. It's my fav coil. I also have an 8" and 11" commander.

Hi Chukyboy .... It's me Andy from the weekend. Yeah I saw you find the gold. Though I also saw Scrounger doing far better than anyone with his SDC and why I'm trying to get the very best small coil so I have a better chance on the small stuff. I know the very quick transmit shutoff is the key to the SDC which the 4500 just can't do.
Sorry to see you have your machine up for sale. All the best. Andy :)

Dig'n-it said:
PhaseTech said:
On a 4500 (which doesn't have Fine Gold) the 6" gold stalker is a sweet coil.

Thanks Phasetech.
The 4500 does have sensitive smooth which is described in the manual as ideal for mono coils and shallow small gold. Do you have any experience with this mode and agree with it?
Appreciate your input. Cheers Dig'n-it ?

You definitely want to stay in Enhance or even Sens Extra if ground allows. Keep Smooth in reserve for the real bad ground.

Hey andy. The bloke from the Ballarat gold store told me his go to small coil is the 8" detect. He told me out performes the commander. I would love to use a sadie but I can only have so many coils.

I can highly recommend the 8" commander. While I haven't had experience with the other small coils with the exception of the 6" goldstalker I can say that enhance is the best timing on the small stuff I've found. I found a .03 and tried normal and sens smooth and they both didn't touch it. I've also found a a few bits that don't register on the scales.
I sold the goldstalker as I didn't find it was any better on the small stuff and obviously didn't cover as much ground.

I personally found that the Coiltek 6" was far to prone to falsing when getting knocked going through scrubby ground.
The 8" Commander is a great coil and likewise the Sadie, i have both but tend to favour the 8".
Just to throw something else into the mix, i also have the NF 12x7 like Chuky Boy and it is my favourite of all, great coverage and sensitive enough to pick up the smallest of nuggies at good depths...
You wont go far wrong with any of these.

Thanks Billabong
That is great insight on the Coiltek 6" ...... Exactly what I was concerned about, and what they don't tell you. I'll keep clear of it. Thanks for the heads up on the NF 12x7, and supporting Chukyboys good experience. Will keep it in mind when I can afford it. Cheers

walshie1000 said:
I can highly recommend the 8" commander. While I haven't had experience with the other small coils with the exception of the 6" goldstalker I can say that enhance is the best timing on the small stuff I've found. I found a .03 and tried normal and sens smooth and they both didn't touch it. I've also found a a few bits that don't register on the scales.
I sold the goldstalker as I didn't find it was any better on the small stuff and obviously didn't cover as much ground.

Thanks Walshie. Great first hand insight. With yours and all the other feedback it's down to the 8" Commander or Sadie. I've used the Commander a few weeks ago when I was loaned one for the day and found my first 0.2g piece of gold. The other guy who was with me who had never been detecting before found 4 very small pieces with a SDC. So just wondering if there was something better than the Commander. It's probably just that the SDC is dynamite, beyond any other coil on a 4500, with shallow small gold. Cheers :)

Hey Andy, after using yournutz's 12x7 and experiencing how sensitive and stable it was, it's gunna be my next coil. I can only imagine how sensitive the sadie would be. The 12x7 has a nice sensitive tip being elliptical and decent ground coverage. Great coil.

Thanks again yournutz :)

My 6" goldstalker didnt false at all, it was like the SDC coil. It had a slight advantage over the 8" on specimens and rough bits on the 4500, but the 8" Commander on the 5000 was even better again in Fine Gold, that's the only reason I got rid of it.

The 14" elite pretty much matches the 8" commander so imagine what a smaller version would do! Also 12" nf evo is rumoured to be coming soon - that should also be a good coil.

Phase Tech
Thanks for the clarification. And to be sure I have it clear are you saying the Coiltek 6" is more sensitive, because it's smaller, than the Commander 8" or 14" Coiltek Elite, particularly on the 4500?
Cheers :)

Never did any serious side by sides to be honest, but it did seem to have a bit of an edge over the 8" with both coils in Enhance.

Latest posts