What did you discover or learn today!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Casper, today I learnt that it is not such a bad thing when my girlfriend looses her voice!! :eek: :D

That my grand-kids are lot smarter than me!! My eldest Granddaughter has completed a multi-sheet excel gold reference data-base for me that has hyper-links to my directories. For example, if I scroll down to 'Dunolly', it has hyper-links to scanned maps, reports, mining data, photos etc. It also has hyper-links to web-sites of interest. She did it as part of her Year 10 IT end of year prac. Under 'reports and books' there are 350+ line entries alone, my gold detecting sites has 230. I am still amazed and still working my way through it!

Today I learned that sunscreen would've been a good idea yesterday!!

Loamer, that granddaughter of yours is a champion! What a bloody fantastic idea!

Cheers, Paul.

It has the following worksheets. Sites (as in gold detecting sites), Reports and Books (both digital and hard copy), Maps, Images_Video_Audio (old back-ups, podcasts, gold shows, you tube etc , Jack Lange and JPs' DVD series etc etc), Nugget Research, Indicators (a list of indicators, as in named places - e.g Dupreys Indicator), Equipment List, Google earth and ArcGIS links, Detector settings.

To set this up, she backed up all my data to a WD 1 TB external hard-drive and went for it. So if anything went pear shaped -all was good. It is hyperlinked to my lap-top not my home PC because its the laptop that goes with me.

I learnt that the outer circumference of your pointy finger is exactly the same size as the internal diameter of your nostril. But is that clever design or just a brilliant coincidence? The mind boggles! :D

madtuna said:
I learnt that the outer circumference of your pointy finger is exactly the same size as the internal diameter of your nostril. But is that clever design or just a brilliant coincidence? The mind boggles! :D

magnificent!!

loamer said:
Today I learnt that some people send PMs requesting advice or help and when its given cannot find the time to respond with a 'thanks'.
That's sad to hear loamer. You can have my thanks any day!

Your advice is always pure gold, so please keep it coming, PM or AM

In the Djadja Wurrung and other analogous languages of Central Victoria, today I learnt these words.

Gold = kara kara
Pipeclay = bup-al
Quartz = karrap, bayt
Magpie = kooroork
Dunolly = Lae Kuribur (the creek where Kangaroos eat). There is still a street in Dunolly with this name.
the Southern Cross = bunya, tchingal, berm, berm-gl

thanks to John Tully @ the Dunolly Museum.

Reason I am checking? Some of the of maps and reports I have refer to the original indigenous naming conventions. Such as Marong (Bendigo) had its original marking as Murrong (Murray Pine)

i learned today that CENTRELINK is GOD...

I received a letter today from the afore mentioned saying that our family allowance was canceled because "Fred" our 17 year old son (his true identity is masked for privacy reasons) is outside the country :eek: he's on Hols with his mum OS and no we didn't tell them - but they know...... 8)

casper

loamer said:
In the Djadja Wurrung and other analogous languages of Central Victoria, today I learnt these words.

Gold = kara kara
Pipeclay = bup-al
Quartz = karrap, bayt
Magpie = kooroork
Dunolly = Lae Kuribur (the creek where Kangaroos eat). There is still a street in Dunolly with this name.
the Southern Cross = bunya, tchingal, berm, berm-gl

thanks to John Tully @ the Dunolly Museum.

Reason I am checking? Some of the of maps and reports I have refer to the original indigenous naming conventions. Such as Marong (Bendigo) had its original marking as Murrong (Murray Pine)

I learned very recently that the Bunrurong word for whereabouts i live on the Mornington Peninsula is " Konigo "

Casper

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
Also
The electric chair was invented by a dentist. (hmmmmmmm
deepblue