Happy to be here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Glad to be apart of the group!

Looking to start my journey into prospecting.

Bought myself a pan and so far found a lot of black sand. I’m hoping gold is easier to pan than black sand. I’m assuming black sand is basically iron and other heavy maganetic metals

I want to take my daughters to a beach and see what we can find, so my next task is to buy a metal detector and of course, navigate the confusing laws associated with that.

I live in QLD but work in VIC. So I’ll be prospecting in both. Would love to pick brains and get advice on metal detectors and make sure I’m compliant with local laws, hence why I’m here.

Otherwise, thanks for the invite and happy prospecting.

I want to take my daughters to a beach and see what we can find, so my next task is to buy a metal detector and of course, navigate the confusing laws associated with that.

I live in QLD but work in VIC. So I’ll be prospecting in both. Would love to pick brains and get advice on metal detectors and make sure I’m compliant with local laws, hence why I’m here.
Welcome to PA, VW.

Beach detecting is good family fun for kids and parents. Children love doing the digging when a possible treasure is located!

Unless a local council has ruled otherwise, there's no restrictive laws governing the activity (unlike gold prospecting), so you can just grab your detector and go for it. And if anybody complains about your activities on 'their' beach, point out to them that as a parent you're naturally concerned about discarded syringes, fish hooks, tent pegs and other dangerous litter.

You'll also sometimes get asked to help locate lost keys/jewellery/watches/phones, too - it's fun to be able to help people out and sometimes they'll even offer a reward when you succeed!

Best of luck to you, mate.

Latest posts