What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to identify this beautiful WA tree.
It looks like a gum tree but the gums can be seen in the background.
The nearby gum trees have a blueish colour to the foliage, these trees are a vibrant green. When the gum leaves are crushed the strong eucalyptus scent in unmistakable, these bright green leaves have no smell at all when crushed.
The gum trees have flowers and gum nuts but there's no sign of gum nuts on these trees.
Do you know what type of tree this is?
Perhaps a Corymbia, possibly a Ghost gum (Corymbia aparrerinja), although I can't find a reference to the smell of the leaves:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/14073817578003036/
Corymbia citriodora is the Lemon-scented Gum which also looks similar, so they don't necessarily smell of eucalyptus:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/273030796135147423/

My source was Backyard Gardener on Eucalyptus Papuana ( ghost gum) A strong pungent odor similar to menthol.
Eucalyptus papuana has been reclassified as Corymbia papuana, but is only native to New Guinea, the Torres Strait Islands and the northern part of Cape York. Unless one of those locations is where Moneybox found the tree in his pic, the above-mentioned Australian Ghost gum (Corymbia aparrerinja), is probably more likely unless it too has a distinctive odour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corymbia_papuana

The two things that make me doubt it's a gum is the lack of eucalyptus odour from the crushed leaves and the lack of gum nuts or any sign of them on the ground. The leaves are also a brighter, lighter green than most gums.
These trees are plentiful along a watercourse (the only place trees grow here) in the WA Pilbara. There are plenty of gums scattered throughout but these give off a strong eucalyptus odour and have gum nuts as well. The eucalyptus leaves on these gums have a blue tinge.

About to replace a TO92 Voltage regulator on a Surf P.I. Dual Field circuit board.

Attachments

• DSCF1627_1024_800.JPG
    DSCF1627_1024_800.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 0
Still waiting after 13 months for delivery of my new Izuzu. Keeping busy with a few other things like windows along our sunroom with help from a family friend today. Well really I was the apprentice as he was a carpenter.
Things still looking remote with the delivery of the izuzu and going a bit stir crazy to get back with the caravan into the goldfields.IMG_1749.jpeg

Re Tranquility, I can assure you there was a definite lack of tranquility during the day when we discovered the middle sliding door panel was upside down and had to be taken out and put back in the right way up.
Unfortunately not much of interest in the geology below us below us here in Geelong. Just Cretacious sandstones of an age (140 to 65 Million years), much too young to be gold prospective.

Not sure that anyone will care, not that I do!
I vowed to myself that I would never again post anything on this site not prospecting related....
But I had to share my new love!!!
Wider field prospecting here we come!!

View attachment 9957

I love it Simmo. I've got an old one tucked up in the shed in Capel. I need to get it up here along with several land yachts. We have dry lakes all about here for most of the year. My microlight is only slow with a 50m take-off and landing and 11m wingspan. It has a pull start Rotax and 60" three blade prop.

My computer never got past Taree. I made a claim on PayPal and got an instant refund. The replacement also from LG cost me an extra $300+ but I wanted this model for the features.

LG gram 16" Ultra-lightweight with 16:10 IPS Anti glare Display and Intel® Evo 13th Gen. processor Windows 11 Home16Z90R-G.AA75A

It turned up on Friday and I'm happy with it but because I already purchased one, even though it never turned up, I missed out on the $50 discount for the first purchase.

Right now I'm drowning my sorrows and trying to console Miss Kay after getting news that our beautiful niece Tamara passed away this afternoon at home in Perth. She was the most caring, kind and thoughtful person you could find, never worrying about her own struggle and I'll health, but always concerned for others. She was 37, with two children aged 14 and 17, sometimes life sucks and is so unfair. Tamara was diagnosed with cancer twelve months ago and after having surgery and treatment was told it was terminal six months ago.You have to live in the now as you just don't know what cards you are going to be dealt. It's a sad sad day for our extended family. 😭

Last edited:

Latest posts