VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some.unusual grafts I am experimenting with. The little branch on the left in the bottle is an eggplant and the one on the right is a tomato. They are both grafted to a Tamarillo. All members of the solanaceae family. The empty bottle increases the humidity which increases the chance of the graft taking.
1553496625_img_20190325_170932.jpg

@ Goldfreak Why paw paw not papaya? Here the preference is papaya for sweetness.

I've just started growing a local variety which I doubt will not be registered or available down South but a local favorite. Papuan sue sue (how it sounds not spelt but translates to Papuan boobies, apparently delicious) papaya. Which apparently produces very large red sweet fruit.

Hi Magoo, I love Papaya and like you said its sweeter than PawPaw but unfortunayely its a bit cold down here for either. The seeds I am growing are refered to as " pawpaw " by Americans but is not related to what we know as pawpaw or papaya. Confusing isnt it. Its actially a distant relative of the custard apple that grows in the wild right up to the Canadian border. Still fairly rare in Australia and almost impossible to find good specimens
1553541378_images.jpeg-3.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up Goldfreak :Y: .
The whole paw paw, papaya does get a bit confusing but now I have read your post I remember researching them (paw paw, papaya) before and the whole American pawpaw thing threw me.
Reminds me of the term yams which is also very ambiguous.
Always good to see folks rise to the challenge of growing fruit/veg that's slightly outside the box. Happy growing.

Wishfull said:
Isn't it strange how you can put thousands of litres of tap water on a lawn or garden and it sort of lives but, you get 10mm or rain and boom it goes berserk. I think it must have something to do with the nitrogen rain picks up in the atmosphere.
Yes it's a bit of a mystery, experts say there is no difference between nitrogen content of rain and tap/dam water etc but then why does the rain make the plants go beserk ? My hypothesis is the plants some how know it is raining. Perhaps a steady rain sends a vibration through the ground triggering the plants to react ? Can't work it out.

There must be a chemical reaction of some kind going on. I was thinking that nitrogen may dissipate when settled in a river or large holding area even a tank, and since nitrogen makes up a round 78% of the air we breath then rain picks it up on the way down. Nitrogen is known for greening of plants.

Google says ( must be true :playful: ) the rain contains a form of nitrogen the plants can take up that differs from other nitrogen. Beats my plants can hear the rain theory :8

I lived in dairy country some time ago and I remember farmers saying liked thunderstorm (i.e. Lightening) rain as believed it to be better for their pastures. Mind you they just loved rain.

True, but I irrigate from a dam and it still doesn't do as well as the rain, there is no chlorine and only minute amounts of sodium. I will only use Adelaide tap water on the garden If I run out of round up :playful: on that note has anyone tried one of those steam weeding things ? I am worried they might boil the trees surface feeding roots ?

Hi Goldfreak I used a steam weeder a few years ago while doing some environmental work it did a pretty good job of knocking off the weeds and didnt seem to effect the nearby trees what style of steamer are you considering
Pagan P

pagan prospector said:
Hi Goldfreak I used a steam weeder a few years ago while doing some environmental work it did a pretty good job of knocking off the weeds and didnt seem to effect the nearby trees what style of steamer are you considering
Pagan P
Something big to do an orchard. I am happy with round up but if steam can do the the job instead it might be worth looking at.

Latest posts