First Venture fail and fever

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally managed to get out of Sydney for three whole days for my first ever run with the Gold Monster and it was not epic but it did teach me a lot about preparation. Mogo was the destination and having a two wheeler van kinda restricted options for base camp so my wife and I set up at Depot beach which was a delight. Next day I was dropped off at the Rannyford rd turn off. So keen to get started, I grabbed my backpack and unassembled Goldmonster parts and waved goodbye to my lift. I had heard about all the false targets due to spent ammo on the western areas so to avoid them, walked some way into the forest on the eastern side of the hwy. Ha, ha ha ha. I didn't bring my armrest/support with me!!!! Let me tell you, the ergonomics of swinging a black stick with the bigger search coil is not great. Undeterred, I headed off track and was amazed at how the vegetation had enjoyed months and months of rain. Dodder was everywhere. This wiry plant made it impossible to move the coil anywhere near the ground. So plan B had me looking for bare patches and burnt out or upended tree stumps to get access to the dirt. This worked well enough for me to test out different settings and deal with mineralisation as best I could. First obvious target showed me that even really damp ground requires a decent pick, which I didn't have. The lightweight poly composite pick just didn't cut it. After a lot of effort to dig 10cm I found an old shell casing. Over the next four hours, I found many rusty nails and one stainless steel washer. Finally I decided to follow a small erosion washout downhill, hoping a heavy might have been deposited somewhere. There it was, a solid non-ferrous target signal that had me cautiously excited. It turned out to be what I can only assume was a weird blob of melted lead. It was heavy, it was soft but it was silver colour when cut. So, no gold but an excellent learning curve and an enthusiastic me keen to head out again soon.

Good onya mate, research is the key as many on here will testify and a good dose of luck. Continue on your path and remember, the finds are a bonus but being out in the fresh air with Mother Nature, you can’t buy that. Cheers and Best Regards Mackka

Good onya mate, research is the key as many on here will testify and a good dose of luck. Continue on your path and remember, the finds are a bonus but being out in the fresh air with Mother Nature, you can’t buy that. Cheers and Best Regards Mackka
100% agree.
Cheers
Greg

100% agree.
Cheers
Greg

The Mogo area is hard yakka since the undergrowth has come back thick after the fires. 😢

Research and a good 1;25000 topo map is a good start, but even better is a quick run into Detecta Den in Batemans Bay as they are always friendly with their advice on the area. As with most locations local advice is priceless. Even have picks, which from what you said in the post just didn't cut it. ;)Good luck on the next hunt.

The Mogo area is hard yakka since the undergrowth has come back thick after the fires. 😢

Research and a good 1;25000 topo map is a good start, but even better is a quick run into Detecta Den in Batemans Bay as they are always friendly with their advice on the area. As with most locations local advice is priceless. Even have picks, which from what you said in the post just didn't cut it. ;)Good luck on the next hunt.
Thanks Wal. It's all good from my viewpoint. This was my teeth cutting exercise with a faint chance of colour. The main thing was to just get out there and start to understand the basic mechanics of the process. I usually give myself a hard time when I cock up but this experience was different. Being in the bush and working things out was just one big enjoyable learning curve and opportunities to refine my approach. Once the basics of driving the GM are natural I'll ramp up terrain scoping etc. Thanks for the locals tip. Next time I will improve my game and hopefully the enjoyment too. I have some ideas for a revisit to the area before the reptiles get active in all that undergrowth Ha ha.
Cheers
Greg

Thanks Wal. It's all good from my viewpoint. This was my teeth cutting exercise with a faint chance of colour. The main thing was to just get out there and start to understand the basic mechanics of the process. I usually give myself a hard time when I cock up but this experience was different. Being in the bush and working things out was just one big enjoyable learning curve and opportunities to refine my approach. Once the basics of driving the GM are natural I'll ramp up terrain scoping etc. Thanks for the locals tip. Next time I will improve my game and hopefully the enjoyment too. I have some ideas for a revisit to the area before the reptiles get active in all that undergrowth Ha ha.
Cheers
Greg

Great attitude Greg and I'm sure the stay at Depot Beach was enjoyable. It's a very isolated beach and the walk along the beach up to Pebbly Beach is a pleasant stroll. There is some good petrified wood samples and semi precious pebbles amongst that beach as well. Good luck with the next outing. Cheers Wal.

Ah I didn't know about the semi precious pebbles. It's such diverse geology around there. I personally love the fossils and dropstones in the mudstones and shales. Walk a few more metres and it's metamorphics. Delightful. Plus the locals are so friendly.

Attachments

• 20220824_080942.jpg
    20220824_080942.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Ah I didn't know about the semi precious pebbles. It's such diverse geology around there. I personally love the fossils and dropstones in the mudstones and shales. Walk a few more metres and it's metamorphics. Delightful. Plus the locals are so friendly.

The Pebbly beach is at the top end of Depot...only a few hundred metres. Check it out if ever you go back to the area.

Hi Greg,

Glad you enjoyed your trip down to Mogo. Always wondered what the name of that vine was. It really does get caught up in your coil. I have another name for that particular plant but if I told you, it would result in me being banned for life. It’s hard work down here and finding spots to get a coil on the ground is becoming a nightmare. If you would like a few spots to get started, PM me and I can take you out for a day if you are interested.

cheers

Les

Hi Greg,

Glad you enjoyed your trip down to Mogo. Always wondered what the name of that vine was. It really does get caught up in your coil. I have another name for that particular plant but if I told you, it would result in me being banned for life. It’s hard work down here and finding spots to get a coil on the ground is becoming a nightmare. If you would like a few spots to get started, PM me and I can take you out for a day if you are interested.

cheers

Les
Hi Les, yeah I can guess what you call it. I am pretty sure it is a parasite plant, just like Mistletoe except it feeds on hosts roots while Mistletoe taps into host plant branches. So call it a parasite in public and you won't be shamed Ha ha.
Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.
I'll PM you when we have our next jaunt scheduled and see how your placed. I checked out Bendarra SF to the north and it was also heavily vegetated. I'm thinking the higher and steeper ground with thinner soils might be a better bet for next time.

Latest posts