too much redneck?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i am the first to admit i am abit of a redneck, all my friends know it, family knows it even my fiance says it, but apparently i took it a little too far this weekend, now i love beef jerky and i am always making my own, my daughter and myself cant get enough of it, my partner she likes it too so when i wanted to make a batch and wanted to do a plain one and some smoked jerky i got to work, now i have just moved house and haven't built a new smoke house yet so i improvised like any bloke does when in need, i lined it with aluminum foil, made it to hold a couple of wire racks and fashioned a charcoal fired hot box from three ally baking trays and used some stainless tube i had in the garage for the smoke tube
1455492499_image1.jpg

... apparently using a cardboard box and modding it into a smoker is too much redneck, she just doesnt get it lol

when you get it right and it is very much a personal thing the amount of 'smokiness' one likes it is so much better than the store bought 'liquid smoke' stuff

Good job Jamie. Neccessity is the mother of invention. We are very lucky in Australia to get it so easy-some more than others. I do not want to lose touch with my inner survivalist ever. God forbid if modern technology and corporate supply chains ever come to a grinding halt. Many are so dependent on others it beggars belief. I only need to talk to my parents (in their 70's) to recall a time when nearly everything was made at home or sourced locally- before capitalist bastardry and cotton wool society infested us and corporate puppets masqueraded as politicians, lying about our best interests, drip-feeding us half truths and jamming propaganda, lies and poisonous substances down our throats.
One of these days I will make a solar dehyrator, so I can make my jerky in the winter here without the dehydrator-but you need to make it so the sun doesn't get on the meat, or it goes rank.
My jerky marinade is Tomato sauce, Worcestershire,Soy, and honey or (any)jam.
If anyone calls you a redneck, take it as a compliment. :)

Tim i couldnt like your reply any more than i do,i just could never word it as well as you did above, i am very much the type to do it myself rather than go to the store to buy it, i do my own jerky, hams, cheese, bread, pickles and all sorts, if the lights went out i would like to think i would survive.
i like a basic dry rub seasoning on my jerky, salt pepper, brown sugar and sometimes fancy it up with a few other spices.
redneck, its not a choice or fashion, it is in the blood! and i love it

Amen brother. I have made a few cheeses a while back using powdered milk, since that's all I use. They aren't as good as whole milk, but I mix and stand the milk to rehydrate well, and add some CaCl. I wasn't a fan of blue cheeses, but the Danish Mild blue I made (from bought cheese as a starter) is bloody beautiful!
And yoghurt. From pot-set yoghurt from the supermarket. Using powdered milk at an increased rate makes a good, thick yoghurt. :) :)

mate that looks fantastic, i haven't had a go at biltong yet but i think i could give it a go, from my understanding it isn't to dissimilar from a jerky

Great stuff you fellows, I like my jerky and smoked meats. :)

Just a question thought you blokes might have seen them some where. I was watching My Kitchen Rules the other night and i seen one of the contestants using this smoker and they filled up a glass container over the meat and served the dish with the smoke inside. That little smoker looked light a ripper of a gadget, I wonder were one could buy one? It looked like it could be made into a nice little cold smoker?

Hey mate you can buy them little smoke generators on eBay or some home kitchen shops, there are also a few YouTube clips on how to make one it you would rather the DIY way, which is what I am like if the cardboard box smoker didn't give it away lol

Hey thanks Jamie I will check that out, now i know what its called. It looked like it put out a far bit of smoke, but if the cost of one is to high then i will DYI myself. :)

If you do go the diy route, please take photos and do a write up on it, I am sure others would be interested in it and get more people into home smoking meats, fish etc

Tim said:
Amen brother. I have made a few cheeses a while back using powdered milk, since that's all I use. They aren't as good as whole milk, but I mix and stand the milk to rehydrate well, and add some CaCl. I wasn't a fan of blue cheeses, but the Danish Mild blue I made (from bought cheese as a starter) is bloody beautiful!
And yoghurt. From pot-set yoghurt from the supermarket. Using powdered milk at an increased rate makes a good, thick yoghurt. :) :)

Ha has,
All I can say Tim is that your my new favorite forum poster.
You never let an opportunity pass you by to stick into the unbalanced so called status quo. "Not the band"
Keep it up mate, although I only agree to snr of your views, I love your passion.
Cheer steve :D

Roscoe you can wrap some woodchips in a bit of alfoil, chuck them over the grill of the bbq and put the lid down or in a parcel in the frypan under the meat for a hot smoke.
And stoyve- thank you sir!

Thanks Tim, I will give that a go. I have a native acacia up here that has a beaut smoke flavor to it. I found it by accident one day. I started a fire to cook a few chooks, i have one of those battery operated spits, Auspit i think its called. Well one day the wood was hard to get going and it smoked a lot before it got going, well when it was finished i had a beaut smoked flavored chooks. After that i have used this timber all the time when cooking steaks, Chooks etc. Has anyone else used our native trees for smoking?

Jamie, I have been looking at a few on U-tube tonight. One looked quiet easy to build and seemed to use common stuff from home or local hardware. If i build one and it works i will keep you posted. :)

That Bilatong of Wallies looks good doesn't it. :)

I mean't to say also Tim that my favorite cheese is smoked cheese. Have you smoked any of your home made cheeses yet?

I should have said how I done the fire box a bit better, I used three ally trays, the bottom one was just as is with a "flap" in one end to control air flow, a charcoal bed was put into the bottom tray, then the other two trays were crimped together with a hole cut in the top one to line up with the smoke pipe and the bottom of the other tray was cut out to slip on with the parcel of wood chips and a flap to line up with the bottom ones flap, hope the photos and explanation makes sense
1455529144_image.jpeg

Latest posts