Has one of my wishes finally come true....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would say that I am likely a typical Son in-law.
Always in the shit with the Mother in-law when it comes to the Wife or the Kids, and she is Italian to boot !!

So maybe it is the Devil whispering over my shoulder and into my ear, but when I got some news the other day, I felt conflicted.
Was this good news ?
Or was it bad news ?

Is my title click bait ?

We have spent a few years now trying to be considerate of her, age, grandmother, good cook and all.
Enjoyed her parties, BBQ's, her love for her Grand-kids, and everything else that goes with life.
She hardly speaks English and frustrates me when she relies on speaking Italian, to her kids and husband at the dining table,
I sense mostly at my expense.

So what news you could ask ?

Well... Italians like to gather in Italian Clubs, social gatherings fit for finding all sorts of old friends, and apparently new friends.

So lets cut to the chase....

She cant walk because of a knee problem that spontaneously occurred months ago, and on Monday, 9 days ago she was booked for surgery,
my wife accompanied her into the Surgeons office in Hospital, I drove them into the City, my two youngest in the backseat of the car with my wife,
Nonna front passenger next to me.
After the appointment I picked them up and drove Nonna home. (unfortunately the ejection seat was disabled that day)

On Wednesday I got a call from my Father in-law...
"Nonna has Covid" and she thinks it is from the Hospital !!
They had RAT tested that morning because she had a very sore throat and a bad headache, she was positive, he was negative.
She was angry to have picked it up from the Hospital after all her care of masking up and cleaning hands !

My thoughts went to the Club on Sunday night... "NO, NO, no one was sick !"
Cruelly with a glint in my eye, I told my Father in-law, "not masked when seated, everyone comes over to hug and kiss", he had to think about that.
Then I told him that she and he had to PCR test, he had to report it to the Club President etc etc etc.
He did and found out that most of their friends attending were also Covid positive too, about 15 of them. No wonder, they all sit at the same table.

I informed him where and more importantly, when to get tested, took them 5 min on Thursday morning, results came to me.
YEP she is positive !!! Have my secret wishes come to fruition now after all these years ? 👿

Nahh.. I'm not like that, I have been keeping a close eye on her and him, she has had a very sore throat and major migraine type headaches, only a mild temperature, but totally exhausted. And the nagging still didn't stop for Nonno. :rolleyes:
Yesterday she was up and about, sounded better, but drained, luckily Covid had not travelled into her chest (as big as it is), I have suggested to her that she should feel more normal around Sunday coming. So she can go back to the Club for round two of Covid !!

I'm not sure what she said in Italian over the phone to me, I think it was thanking me for my help and care..... 🥳 🤣

I am really glad they are both okay.

Last edited:
(unfortunately the ejection seat was disabled that day)
LOL. My mother in Law hated me for taking her daughter away.

I said to her one day "what is the definition of kindness?"

She said "I dont know".

and the response..."offering your mother in law a chair & not plugging it in to the power point".

Cue dead silence...

An update for anyone interested.

It is with sad and very deep emotion regret that I have to inform you all that my mother in-law
after a long and difficult battle with Covid...

Has finally been able to get off her bum and out of bed, and resume her normal life activities of nagging the father in law to death,
but also to provide him his usual favourite pasta meals, and even do the dishes (dishwasher).
She is not 100%, but signifcantly better, she gets tired very quickly.
I"m not looking forward to getting into her line of sight for Easter... :rolleyes:

Read this a tongue in cheek and not meant to apply to anybody else but my family.

I wish anybody with any illness, my very best to recover fully without complications.