Today I Saw a Native Animal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They needed two doors as they had got divorced !

I was watching some ants in the N.T. , as you do , no T.V. ! They were white ants , they came out to do some foraging for more food . The bull ants saw them and started eating them ! A battle ensued , the white ants beat a retreat to their underground nest . A good number was lost to the bull ants . Very interesting watching the battle .

1601349881_img_0451.jpg
1601349904_img_0452.jpg

This is the guy that nearly gave me some grief .... They have bad bacteria on their claws and mouth , they will give you an infection very quickly . If he had broken my skin , I would have gone to the nearest hospital . They love the smell of blood . Make sure you keep them at a distance .

Mike678, When my Dad was a young fella he did a lot of hunting on horseback with dogs and rifle. One day the dogs flushed out a bungarra , it bolted, with no trees around it climbed up the horse and perched itself, half on dads shoulders half on his head. Surprisingly, apart from knocking his hat off neither he nor horse suffered any scratches.

I do remember seeing a video of a goanna running up a guy . It was a tree less place like the Hay Plains .

Occasional_panner said:
Deepseeker said:
Capertee gold said:

I still can't figure out what I'm looking at there Capertree??? Is it a Yowie in a Ghillie suit? :D

There is a black cat in the middle of the screen, going behind a tree. Puma??

Black pumas don't exist - you're probably thinking of a black panther (leopard or jaguar).
But it just looks like a black cat to me.

Occasional_panner said:
Deepseeker said:
Capertee gold said:

I still can't figure out what I'm looking at there Capertree??? Is it a Yowie in a Ghillie suit? :D

Oh right, now I see it! It does look like a big bugger. I still think though that they may be exceptionally large feral cats that people see. It just doesn't make sense that they would be pumas. I have heard the stories of US troops supposedly having them as mascots in WW2, but I don't think anyone has ever come up with the evidence that such mascots actually existed.

Occasional_panner said:
Deepseeker said:
Capertee gold said:

Oh, now I see it. I know they've been here a while but not quite long enough to call Native ;)

Deepseeker said:
Occasional_panner said:
Deepseeker said:
Capertee gold said:

Oh right, now I see it! It does look like a big bugger. I still think though that they may be exceptionally large feral cats that people see. It just doesn't make sense that they would be pumas. I have heard the stories of US troops supposedly having them as mascots in WW2, but I don't think anyone has ever come up with the evidence that such mascots actually existed.

Exactly.

When the Japanese entered the war and swiftly moved through south-east Asia and across into the western Pacific islands, both Australia and New Zealand were caught with their troops already heavily-committed to supporting British forces in Europe and North Africa. The USA finally entering the war provided a much-needed boost to morale on the homefront, where noncombatant Aussies and Kiwis were starting to look anxiously northward.

As US troops flooded ashore in both countries, they attracted maximum news media coverage to reinforce the message that although our own troops were pretty light-on at the time, the Yanks were coming in full force and rapidly building up to maximum strength for the battles ahead. Parades up main streets on their way to encampments were a routine event. If the incoming troops had wild animals as their mascots, there's no doubt that the press, radio and movie newsreels of the day would have highlighted such an unusual and compelling sight. So where are all the press reports, news photos and film clips showing these fearsome beasts? Personally, I can't recall ever seeing any.

Kate picked up this little female Maggie after a storm a few weeks ago, was a ball of fluff now has feathers and starting to fly :) Shes a character that's for sure, just bought her inside for the night. She spends her days outside honing her skills, shouldn't be too much longer and she'll fend for herself day and night hopefully a month at most. We've raised plenty over the years all released to their local families.

1601366420_img_20200929_175302.jpg

Latest posts