Today I Saw a Native Animal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few more wildlife pics.

1601253335_archivepotos609.jpg
1601253395_archivepotos623.jpg
1601253437_archivepotos633.jpg

A pair of young Nightjars, their parents chose one of the nesting boxes we placed around our camp.

1601253504_archivepotos646.jpg

1601253621_archivepotos666.jpg

1601253686_archivepotos672.jpg
1601253793_archivepotos737.jpg

Ringnecks nested in a hollow log we positioned above our shower shack.

1601253861_archivepotos751.jpg

There should be another button for "sort of like". I love the Mountain Devil and the Echidna, great photos Nightjar.

I guess the spiders are beautiful in their own way too, and I'm sure their mother loved the ones that got away quick enough without her eating them :lol:

grubstake said:
Yep, that's a shingleback (aka bobtail, sleepy lizard, two-headed lizard). We now know that uniquely among lizards, a pair mate for life although they only hang out together in the breeding season. Also, they can live for 25 years! Very cool lizards, these fellas.

Also known as a Bogeye, saw them by the thousands in south western NSW as a kid.

Adrian ss said:
Why does clicking "Like" not work on all posts here??

I find that sometimes it's much slower to accept the click and update with your name on the Likes list, than others. Also, if you've had a page open for too long, all you get is a dumb pop-up message; if that happens, reloading the page is the way to get the Like button to work.

I had a "close encounter " with one of these in NSW. It was not so big as this one , about 1 mt . It had been wandering around my camp in the forrest for a few days . I was sat on my chair with my feet on a log . I had thongs on , when suddenly he put his head between my legs . He was eyeing off my smelly toes ... I had my back to him so I did not notice him creep up . I know that they do not go backwards so my bare feet were in danger . I lifted both legs up in the air , he came out from under my chair and ran along the log at high speed ! He could have taken a chew on my toes or put his claws into my bare feet as he made his escape ! I kept a close eye on him after that .

Latest posts