Today I fixed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I braved the mysterious enigma of the internal combustion engine. Pretty scary shite for a fella with no mechanical knowledge, and little mechanical aptitude. Managed to get the big plastic cover off of the top of the donk, (winner!) Then proceeded to look for the no 2 cylinder injector and coil pack, found it buried deep under a poo load of hoses and wires which had to be removed/disconnected and shoved out of the way to get to the coil pack. Ohhhh crap! I don't have a socket small enouh for the bolt holding the coil pack in place. Doh! So out to Masters to buy a cheap 16 buck small socket set, then raced back to finish the job while I still remember how to put all this crap back where it belongs. Old coil pack out, quick run over with the dust buster to clean up the crap around the hole, whacked in the new coil pack, and put it all back together, then possibly the hardest part, putting the plastic cover back on the motor. Took me 15 mins stuffing around with it before I worked out the right/easy way to put it back on. Duuuuh!!! So then for the monent of truth, to start it and see if the misfire is gone. I took a deep breath and turned the key, half expecting it not to start at all.....the engine fires up straight away, and purrs like a kitten. Happy days! Giddy up! Took it for a test drive and no problems. So I think the exploder is 100% operational again. Saved a heap of dough doing it myself, I couldn't have even bought the genuine part from ford for what it's cost to fix it myself, and that includes the scan tool and socket set and coil pack I bought. :D

You learn alot of things, by being strapped for cash, and then there's the sense of satisfaction :)

rocketaroo said:
You learn alot of things, by being strapped for cash, and then there's the sense of satisfaction :)
So true, and yes I am feeling a hit proud of myself to. Although I should probably share the credit with youtube, without who's instructional how to videos I would have been stumped. :)

Yeah it's unreal, the amount of youtube vids on how to do stuff is very helpful. I sussed out 3 problems with cars, all minor, on youtube and forums. I should have backed myself on the last 2 I reckon. I still will keep the more complicated stuff for the pro's though I think.

Chewy said:
Today I braved the mysterious enigma of the internal combustion engine. Pretty scary shite for a fella with no mechanical knowledge, and little mechanical aptitude. Managed to get the big plastic cover off of the top of the donk, (winner!) Then proceeded to look for the no 2 cylinder injector and coil pack, found it buried deep under a poo load of hoses and wires which had to be removed/disconnected and shoved out of the way to get to the coil pack. Ohhhh crap! I don't have a socket small enouh for the bolt holding the coil pack in place. Doh! So out to Masters to buy a cheap 16 buck small socket set, then raced back to finish the job while I still remember how to put all this crap back where it belongs. Old coil pack out, quick run over with the dust buster to clean up the crap around the hole, whacked in the new coil pack, and put it all back together, then possibly the hardest part, putting the plastic cover back on the motor. Took me 15 mins stuffing around with it before I worked out the right/easy way to put it back on. Duuuuh!!! So then for the monent of truth, to start it and see if the misfire is gone. I took a deep breath and turned the key, half expecting it not to start at all.....the engine fires up straight away, and purrs like a kitten. Happy days! Giddy up! Took it for a test drive and no problems. So I think the exploder is 100% operational again. Saved a heap of dough doing it myself, I couldn't have even bought the genuine part from ford for what it's cost to fix it myself, and that includes the scan tool and socket set and coil pack I bought. :D

Really ... That sounds like a snack
Now , if you really want a challenge ... Try a friggin tv antenna :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Well done mate . I think the hardest part is getting over the anxiety when you see all those wires and hoses in the first place knowing the bit you want is completely out of sight under it all .... Somewhere

Great yarn Chewy. I have always worked on my cars but they are getting too complex now, either that or I'm getting too old and grumpy. :8 prefer to pay someone now. I have a son and a son in law who are mechanics. You think they would fix em for me but no.... to busy.

Ramjet said:
Great yarn Chewy. I have always worked on my cars but they are getting too complex now, either that or I'm getting too old and grumpy. :8 prefer to pay someone now. I have a son and a son in law who are mechanics. You think they would fix em for me but no.... to busy.
Yep I usually pay somebody else to do it to RR, but last couple of times I've had car trouble I found out what the problem was b4 I took it in. This time with bit of research I got a bit braver thought I'd tackle it myself, this would be the most complicated repair I've ever done solo. But it was pretty straight forward really, after watching some youtube vids. My dad is a mechanic and used to show me how to do simple stuff, but he lives on Kangaroo island, and doesn't know much about the computer side of it. The 145 bucks for the scan tool was money well spent. We own the exploder, a vx v6 commodore, and a Chrysler grand voyager (to cart the 5 youngest kids around in, other 2 older ones have left home). So odds are it'll get used again sometime in future. Cheers Andy. :)