Coil lead deterioration

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G’day Randolph, I too have had this happen. Only with Minelab.
Unfortunately they do not replace them . This is odd because the same coil went back under warranty was returned with a shorter lead. Anyway I digress. I believe that the tape you mention is called self swaging tape or sometimes self amalgamating tape.
It is available at Marine Chandleries . Possibly also electric wholesalers.
I hope this helps
Best of luck Searching Still

I’ve had that happen to 2 coiltek coils and found it was from being in direct sunlight locked in my car. Temps out side were only about 30 but inside was probably almost double that. I think the cable wasn’t uv stabilised properly, maybe a bad batch.

Both my Minelab coils , supplied new and never used which have been in a original 4500 box stored in the garage have lumps of rubber falling off them. I think it’s shit quality rubber I’m glad I depend on a NF coil the same age but love my detector

I'd front ML about those leads Geezer, send them photo's and see what they say - let us all know to mate plz

I've had coilteks and the minelab 11 inch dd do this. My friend has also had this happen to his coiltek elites. They are all stored in dark rooms. Coiltek replaced his coils. Between going bump sensative and coil sheath crumbling I wont touch them. My one and only nugget finder has been perfect for years.

I'd take it to someone who does electronics repairs or DIY if you have the skills.

Have them remove the plug and fit some adhesive lined heat-shrink over the entire cable length and then refit the plug.

It will not affect the characteristics of the cable except for its springiness or whatever in how it wrap around the shaft.

If its loosely wrapped around the shaft while hot it will assume the coiled shape.

I'd also use some Sika 291 to bond the cable sheath the cold body.

It should be good for years.

Latest posts