Coil lead deterioration

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolph

randolph
Reaction score
Hi all, I loaned a Coilteck 22 inch mono coil from a friend. The day he gave it to me the lead was fine. We put it in a large plastic bag but when I pulled it out of the bag to try a week later it looked like it had perished with bits of the outer cable falling apart. I had it in my garage for about 4 days then carried it on the back seat of my car to Coolgardie. The coil is about 2 years old and used minimally. Does anyone know what could cause this to happen over a short period. We have been told that leads cannot be replaced on coilteck coils but have to buy a special tape to fix. Any input into this Mystery would be appreciated. Cheers Rando

Photos of coil lead

Attachments

• 20220317_111021.jpg
    20220317_111021.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220317_111026.jpg
    20220317_111026.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220317_111048.jpg
    20220317_111048.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220317_111056.jpg
    20220317_111056.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Was there anything in bag prior ? Chemical ? Other than that if in sunlight have seen bag work like a magnifying glass. Looks like it has dried and cracked up ?

I have had a coil lead go like that, on my Minelab Explorer SE pretty old detector now. so just put it down to age and humid conditions.
Didn't know there was a special tape for this.

Does anyone know what special tape this is? would love to know.

Cheers Pro-oz.

I have had a coil lead go like that, on my Minelab Explorer SE pretty old detector now. so just put it down to age and humid conditions.
Didn't know there was a special tape for this.

Does anyone know what special tape this is? would love to know.

Cheers Pro-oz.
The tape I'm not sure of the name was suggested by Prospecors Pick Bunbury

personally I dont think tape is ideal, that cable is a copper coax manufactured to a particular spec, the specs have probably changed now its damaged. If it has changed then the coils performance may have also changed.

I'd be taking the coil in to have its coax replaced.

Last edited:
Was there anything in bag prior ? Chemical ? Other than that if in sunlight have seen bag work like a magnifying glass. Looks like it has dried and cracked up ?
It had been kept in the bag for a long time without any damage. While in my possession was kept in the shade

personally I dont think tape is ideal, that cable is a copper coax manufactured to a particular spec, the specs have probably changed now its damaged. If it has changed then the coils performance may have also changed.

I'd be taking the coil in to have its coax replaced.
According to Prospectors Pick Bunbury the leads cannot be replaced

The red layer looks like spiral wound reinforcing filament rather than a copper sheath, which is normally mesh wound. If that is the case then the coil should still work fine as nothing electrical is damaged.

Mechanically though it will need taping from top to bottom else you will eventually damage the underlying layers ( sheath wire, insulation, core wire) which are mechanically weak.

Frankly I would just use Nitto PVC Electrical tape that you get everywhere. Standard width is 18mm and I would go with that as the challenge of spiral wrapping say a 48mm tape will drive you nuts. Do 2 layers in same direction with 50 % overlap between layers & it will probably take you 30min and probably wont cost you $20.

Just GENTLY stretch the coil& plug apart until the cable is straight ( but not under tension ( 1 or 2 willing helpers are the best for that )and wrap away.

You should also use a strong PVC glue like Stormsure to seal the plug & coil joins to the wrap.

If the red filament is copper then it is the sheath and it has seperated so it will pass EMI so you are stuffed.

What have you got to lose by trying?

The red layer looks like spiral wound reinforcing filament rather than a copper sheath, which is normally mesh wound. If that is the case then the coil should still work fine as nothing electrical is damaged.

Mechanically though it will need taping from top to bottom else you will eventually damage the underlying layers ( sheath wire, insulation, core wire) which are mechanically weak.

Frankly I would just use Nitto PVC Electrical tape that you get everywhere. Standard width is 18mm and I would go with that as the challenge of spiral wrapping say a 48mm tape will drive you nuts. Do 2 layers in same direction with 50 % overlap between layers & it will probably take you 30min and probably wont cost you $20.

Just GENTLY stretch the coil& plug apart until the cable is straight ( but not under tension ( 1 or 2 willing helpers are the best for that )and wrap away.

You should also use a strong PVC glue like Stormsure to seal the plug & coil joins to the wrap.

If the red filament is copper then it is the sheath and it has seperated so it will pass EMI so you are stuffed.

What have you got to lose by trying?
I just did the tape thing, seems ok.

Post 24 under MInelab, My 705 has just broke.
Same story, maybe due to overseas manufacturing these days? Poor Quality components?:mad:
Peed off anyhow.

Same happens to a lot of cables nowadays..
I think it is caused by UV....
I am looking right now at some fixes for some mike cables on my UHF radio's and the lead on my 5000, all done the same thing.
I'll keep you updated as to what I find!

I agree, looks like UV damage. The visible multi strand red wire is enamelled copper.. its the coax shielding. NF coils use the exact same cable, I'm trying to find where I can buy this particular cable for a project, so if anyone knows?

The only sure way of knowing if the damage is effecting performance is to have the coil tested by "Coilteck".

Mic, GPX battery and speakers cables are simple fixes because they dont have required parasitics like coils and their cables, so dont confuse the two!

Last edited:
Hi all, I loaned a Coilteck 22 inch mono coil from a friend. The day he gave it to me the lead was fine. We put it in a large plastic bag but when I pulled it out of the bag to try a week later it looked like it had perished with bits of the outer cable falling apart. I had it in my garage for about 4 days then carried it on the back seat of my car to Coolgardie. The coil is about 2 years old and used minimally. Does anyone know what could cause this to happen over a short period. We have been told that leads cannot be replaced on coilteck coils but have to buy a special tape to fix. Any input into this Mystery would be appreciated. Cheers Rando
Write to [email protected] and get their professional answer, then you will know for certain

Latest posts