The List

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am good at forgetting things, so we have the list ::

laptop and leap (for writing or watching a movie)

Turn other laptop off (When I get back the battery has gone flat)

Dvd Player and Movies

Gas Cans

Water

Mug

Medicine and Toiletries

Sauce!

Clothes, sock and jocks

Backpack

Food, Powdered Milk, Marg, Fruit, Bread and Meat

Blanket

Sleeping Bag

Phone

Dirt Bags (maybe I'll grab some paydirt?)

Beer .. self explanatory

Compass

Maps

Gumboots

Rainboots (normally in Summer)

Fridge on

License

Ice Packs ...... keep that Beer Cold

Dunny Paper

Petrol

Shorts

Book

Teabags

Guitar Amp and Lead (not when prospecting, not enough room in van)

Fan (Sirocco Fans are Ace!)

AAA Batteries ... also got rechargables

AA Batteries

Mp3 Player

Shoes (don't forget the sock protectors!)

Car Oil (normally ok but handy regardless)

Usb .... it's some maps and screenshots on it)

Radio

Library (gotta grab a few dvd's)

Wallet ..... (gotta restock, if on a longer trip)

Brace ... (Tennis Elbow)

Gold Pan

Detector

Sluice

Dredge (Bait Pump/ Wilson)

Classifiers (Don't always use them, but just in case)

Crevicing Tools (Crevicing is fun)

PinPointer (If the detector is doing my head in)

Socks (I get in the water and need something dry quite often)

Stuff in cupboard (put valuables away in house, I live outback in a caravan)

Litter Bags (Biodegradable for when ya gotta do what ya gotta do)

Don't forget list (I always end up thinking of something and recheck ...... the list)

Works out I get three vertical lines to a sheet of A4, cut em up and keep em ready. Some items just stay in the van and some need to be tick off as I load them.

It is handy to be organised :)

HoudiniHarry said:
Knives, forks and spoon
Solar charger
I have a kitchen utensil tub with pots pans etc, solar panel .........250 watt under the roof racks, being under the roof racks I can drive into most underground carparks, also another solar charger in the upper console in the rear of the van, you can see the van in the Youtube Section of this forum. :cool: Beer is currently in the fridge, ready to go in the camping with icepacks tomorrah

Newprospect said:
Nice list , Im going away to the GT for the first time ever so has come in handy cheers.Dont forget the eggs and Bacon :Y:
Taking a few homemade sausage rolls and a coupla boiled eggs .... kinda close. I quite often do the egg and bacon thing, but trying not to lose too much time at the start of the day this trip, cheers! ....What's the GT I wonder

1st aid kit
Minimum 10ltrs water
Snake gators or tall boots
UHF or eperb
A mate or atleast tell someone your exact whereabouts

Forget DVDs etc , nature is your entertainment even when you are resting stairing out into the bush is giving your brain time to unlock the prospecting puzzles it has observed during the day.

Goodluck , have fun and leave the bush in as good or better condition than when you arrived.

Sometimes worth doing a list, years ago I took the wife to Ballarat intending to take her to Sovereign Hill for her first visit. Packed the tripod, charger, spare batteries and got to Bordertown before noting I'd left the digi camera at home. Had to buy one of those 12 shot disposable jobs for the memories.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2020, went to VIC to prospect, took the SDC and the 5000. Been there a few days, as it rained, before I noticed no coils for the 5000, still in the spare room where I'd put them out to pack. :)

Footnote; thanks to the guys at Colitek Gold Centre Maryborough for the loan of one, lol.

DataGlasses said:
HoudiniHarry said:
Knives, forks and spoon
Solar charger
I have a kitchen utensil tub with pots pans etc, solar panel .........250 watt under the roof racks, being under the roof racks I can drive into most underground carparks, also another solar charger in the upper console in the rear of the van, you can see the van in the Youtube Section of this forum. :cool: Beer is currently in the fridge, ready to go in the camping with icepacks tomorrah

Note you have map and compass but no GPS listed ? Make sure you are proficient in reading and using both as if not can actually get you in trouble not out of it.
Also having solar panel under roof bars will create a lot of shaded area across panel which can greatly effect it's output. Probably far more than you would think. :eek:

Stay safe Enjoy the adventure

aussiefarmer said:
1st aid kit
Minimum 10ltrs water
Snake gators or tall boots
UHF or eperb
A mate or atleast tell someone your exact whereabouts

Forget DVDs etc , nature is your entertainment even when you are resting stairing out into the bush is giving your brain time to unlock the prospecting puzzles it has observed during the day.

Goodluck , have fun and leave the bush in as good or better condition than when you arrived.

That is all in the van, including fire extinguisher, water is in two 5litre containers (in case one breaks) I write screenplays and enjoy a movie or a music dvd at end of a day in nature, the backpack has a whistle and a bandage in a waterproof bag, regards

Diginit said:
DataGlasses said:
HoudiniHarry said:
Knives, forks and spoon
Solar charger
Just be aware having solar panel under roof bars will create a lot of shaded area across panel which can greatly effect it's output. Probably far more than you would think. :eek:
You are not the first to say that, it has never been an issue the bars running across are no setback, the panel is the width of the entire roof (250 Watt) The sun moving across the sky and clouds are also a setback, but we get there. My battery is normally on a 14.4 float when there is no load, it's all good! To be honest the 75agm battery is not quite big enough, so I may try a 50Ah lithium I have sitting around.

Your call bloke but isn't an opinion it's a fact sadly.
Testers findings As an example, I had two 200 watt panels mounted on a boat loader for our camper trailer. These together will put out a maximum of about 290 watts. However, if you cover just three of the little 150 x 150mm squares within one panel, the output drops to below 40 watts. Thats right not even the size of a tea towel and you lose pretty much all of your capacity.

https://www.4wdingaustralia.com/camping/how-shade-affects-solar/

Not going to argue, as I am packing my van the sun is up and when the fridge is not drawing I am at 14.4, can't be any clearer on the fact. My only issue is the battery size, anyways my camping is list nearly marked off and I'm about to go prospecting, worth noting some stay things in the van permanently and are not on the list. I have screenshots of where I am going and there is a north point on these screenshots, that and a compass work fine for me. Enjoy your day! Happy to say, we are always learning, cheers

I most certainly didn't post to argue Sir, was simply a post to make you aware of something you may not have been aware of as going by your list you like to be well prepared? Not even sure where you are off to ? Could be the GT where you can walk to town or the Pilbarra where you may well die trying to do so ? Have a good trip :Y:

Diginit said:
Your call bloke but isn't an opinion it's a fact sadly.
Testers findings As an example, I had two 200 watt panels mounted on a boat loader for our camper trailer. These together will put out a maximum of about 290 watts. However, if you cover just three of the little 150 x 150mm squares within one panel, the output drops to below 40 watts. Thats right not even the size of a tea towel and you lose pretty much all of your capacity.

https://www.4wdingaustralia.com/camping/how-shade-affects-solar/

Yes that does happen when you wire them in Parallel, If you wire the in series it won't happen as bad, You will still get 200w 150 to 200w from one panel and about IE 40w from the panel that is shaded,

Put them in series with a good MPPT Controller and shading becomes less of an issue, :Y:

Latest posts