The List

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You stated that panels connected in series with a good MPPT Controller and shading becomes less of an issue
That's backwards as shading on panels connected in series has way more consequence (dramatically so) than panels connected in parallel.
Had wrote a lot more but edited as not needed :Y:

Diginit said:
You stated that panels connected in series with a good MPPT Controller and shading becomes less of an issue
That's backwards as shading on panels connected in series has way more consequence (dramatically so) than panels connected in parallel.
Had wrote a lot more but edited as not needed :Y:

I meant with 2 panels in series If one gets shaded the voltage from it gets added to the unshaded panel and you will still get good power, With my EB180 as long as the Volts are over 16v (12v) then it will charge So if one panel is putting out 18v and the other is putting out 9v I am still getting 27v coming in to the system.

Umm dunno what to say here RR. In SERIES a shaded area on one panel will pull down ALL PANELS connected in series to it. With parallel panels this is not the case. Bottom line for camp set ups you will get a better harvest from Parallel wired panels. This is real world conditions, wind , shade, cloud etc etc not on the bench at home. In the WA or FNQ sun if you can find even partial shade you will camp under it, with fixed panels in series once shade hits part of your panel array you may as well turn it off.
I'll leave you with it as your a very hard man to convince I've noticed, but beginning to understand why you need huge power packs. . :Y:

Diginit said:
Umm dunno what to say here RR. In SERIES a shaded area on one panel will pull down ALL PANELS connected in series to it. With parallel panels this is not the case. Bottom line for camp set ups you will get a better harvest from Parallel wired panels. This is real world conditions, wind , shade, cloud etc etc not on the bench at home. In the WA or FNQ sun if you can find even partial shade you will camp under it, with fixed panels in series once shade hits part of your panel array you may as well turn it off.
I'll leave you with it as your a very hard man to convince I've noticed, but beginning to understand why you need huge power packs. . :Y:

Well I might be wrong and I am open to suggestions, I'm not a 100% on any of it But the Guy in this video is doing what I thought and what you say can't be done, But it is working for some reason, ??

I think that it might be because the panels have bypass diodes in them, The Guy in this video has around 300w of panels on his roof of his RV wired in series and with 2 panels shaded his 80w panel in the Sun still puts out 80w so he might not be getting much from the 2 shaded panels but for some reason he is still getting full power from the unshaded 80w panel,

If you move it forward to just after the 14 minute mark is where he talks about all of the above,

Hope that helps explain my confussion. :Y:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gviHcZz20

ya lost me bloke ??? Stated roof panels were in series, did not state how ground panels were ? But did state that the two systems were running thru SEPARATE controllers so roof and ground systems not connected. Anyways turned it off after the 18 minute mark when he stated that he has a shut off switch so he can turn of his controllers so that his batteries don't over charge :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that's what a controller did ? Controlled voltage ? If your controller is allowing your battery to over charge then it's knackered. Anyways that will do me RR I'll just blunder on with my money in my pocket, steaks frozen in the freezer and while i sip a cold beer ponder how i have coped when i have been doing it so wrong for so long. ;)
ps Incidentally you state I said something couldn't be done ? I have never stated anything couldn't be done ? All I have said is that a solar system connected in parallel is not effected by shade on panels anywhere near as much as on a system wired in series. You stated the opposite ? You can do what ever you wish but what works the best is the issue i guess. Apology just a pet hate of mine is being miss quoted :(

By the way you do realise he is a dude flogging Jackery Solar shite :eek:

Diginit said:
ya lost me bloke ??? Stated roof panels were in series, did not state how ground panels were ? But did state that the two systems were running thru SEPARATE controllers so roof and ground systems not connected. Anyways turned it off after the 18 minute mark when he stated that he has a shut off switch so he can turn of his controllers so that his batteries don't over charge :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that's what a controller did ? Controlled voltage ? If your controller is allowing your battery to over charge then it's knackered. Anyways that will do me RR I'll just blunder on with my money in my pocket, steaks frozen in the freezer and while i sip a cold beer ponder how i have coped when i have been doing it so wrong for so long. ;)
ps Incidentally you state I said something couldn't be done ? I have never stated anything couldn't be done ? All I have said is that a solar system connected in parallel is not effected by shade on panels anywhere near as much as on a system wired in series. You stated the opposite ? You can do what ever you wish but what works the best is the issue i guess. Apology just a pet hate of mine is being miss quoted :(

Sorry for miss Quoting you I didn't mean to do that so sorry about that,

He is running his Ground panels in series also and they are feeding a second Controller to a second battery, and Yes his MPPT should cut the power when the batteries are full, I think the main point/use of the switch is so he can shut the whole system off to work on it ?? Where I would just pull a lead off, So Maybe pulling a lead off is the wrong thing for me to be doing,

Anyways Again sorry about the misquoting, :Y:

Diginit said:
I most certainly didn't post to argue Sir, was simply a post to make you aware of something you may not have been aware of as going by your list you like to be well prepared? Not even sure where you are off to ? Could be the GT where you can walk to town or the Pilbarra where you may well die trying to do so ? Have a good trip :Y:
I did check my system out of interest, yesterday with the fridge running on/off as it see's fit and the laptop being charged via the inverter and the phone charging via the battery box (with the fridge) I was at 13.6 So the system kicks along within expectations, as mentioned a bigger battery would be handy, but it was stated to me when setting up I may have to turn the fridge off at night, which I do. Never had food go off and I normally turn to temp down about an hour before beer time, regards! I was at Dolly's , Devil's Kitchen (quick look) then off to Slaty's as I know I will always get something in the pan!

Sure you were at 13.6 but that's not to say in an hours time you could also be at 11.4 ? Fine your system may be kicking along nicely as you put it but the question is for how long ? As for turning fridge off at night you must camp in very mild climates. Anyways wish ya well with it all. :Y:

Latest posts