How to be a sensible prepper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Fire Steel a bit, I don't do the Bear Grylls bit, most of this stuff I keep in Dixie Tins/ Mess Tins under the seat, I got the serious stuff locked away,

I prefer Multi tools and Knives with Locking Blades because I have had a couple of folding Knives close on my fingers in my younger years and got a few deep cuts from them, So they are a bad Idea.

My range is a bit limited....1 X .22 1 X 12g and a
The 12g can be pretty flexible, slugs to SSG to BBs and bird shot. But need to get close
Plenty of geese and ducks in season. Pigs and buffs...... haven't had the guts to pop a buff with a slug yet..... :8
Plenty of wallabies around.
Not a lot of camels here.
Barra are pretty easy, and if I had to eat catfish, well, they are like fly's here but bigger, and more fishy.

Knives are important I feel

But you don't need hundreds of them,

Just a couple of real good one's

Goody

madtuna said:
Camo gear for hunting.
Not for meat hunting.....anyone can pop a camel at 2 or 300 metres, no camo needed.

Veggie hunting! Need good quality camo gear so my neighbours can't see me raiding their veggie garden :D

Just dont use ballistic tips on the vegies , a stealth attack with a blade is much more economical.

madtuna said:
Thanks for the fire lighting tip RR.....I'll keep that in mind for year 10 after Armageddon when by then bic lighters and the good old box of matches will probably be a rarety and fetch much more than I can afford :Y: :D

Bic lighters and matches don't always work when they are wet or in the Tropics, I got some huge Bic Lighters from a Camping store up the road, I filled one up in early December and the thing is still a 3rd full :Y:

madtuna said:
Thanks for the fire lighting tip RR.....I'll keep that in mind for year 10 after Armageddon when by then bic lighters and the good old box of matches will probably be a rarety and fetch much more than I can afford :Y: :D

I'm a "Can of Petrol and 6" long matches to flick in as you run like hell" kinda gal.... nothing like a challenge :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well when the zombie apocalypse happens my money is on Miss Annie taking out more with her can of petrol and flicking matches at them verses RR as he tries to torch them with a fire steel and a makeup removal pad. :D

Ridge Runner said:
madtuna said:

Bic lighters and matches don't always work when they are wet or in the Tropics, I got some huge Bic Lighters from a Camping store up the road, I filled one up in early December and the thing is still a 3rd full :Y:

Well, I'm a smoker. Did 8 years in the army, trained at JTC Tully, the wettest place in Australia, live in Darwin , the tropics, have dropped bics in the water ,plenty of times, (worked as a fishing guide) easy to get a wet Vic worki g,just run it down your thigh a few times till you see a spark, good to go. And have even managed to light smokes with an empty Bic, just the spark.....never ever needed to light a smoke with a fire steel....but yeah, I have one in my back pack.....I bought it when I was about 20......I'm 52 now, used it once so I knew how to use it, and I have never used it since.

Again, I'm talking about Joe and Jill average having enough stuff in their home to get through a unforseen situation, like say, a pandemic.
Basic stuff easily stored at home. Like bleach, toiletries, long life food, some medicine, access to money, I reckon ATM,s have had some unwashed fingers touch them.
Maybe some camping gear that can be useful at home. Like a 12 v fridge, can be used as an extra freezer for example and run on house power as well.
Forget the mad Max, bear Grylls stuff for now.
You never know, but I'm betting this won't turn into the rapture. It won't put a dent on the 7.7 billion people who live on this rock. But times will definately be harder for a while.
Prepare for that.

goody2shoes said:
Always carry a couple of bics in my pack...

Feel I would survive for a while

Goody

With a good First Aid kit and training to match is a good starting point,

davent said:
Again, I'm talking about Joe and Jill average having enough stuff in their home to get through a unforseen situation, like say, a pandemic.
Basic stuff easily stored at home. Like bleach, toiletries, long life food, some medicine, access to money, I reckon ATM,s have had some unwashed fingers touch them.
Maybe some camping gear that can be useful at home. Like a 12 v fridge, can be used as an extra freezer for example and run on house power as well.
Forget the mad Max, bear Grylls stuff for now.
You never know, but I'm betting this won't turn into the rapture. It won't put a dent on the 7.7 billion people who live on this rock. But times will definately be harder for a while.
Prepare for that.

I think I got the Fridges covered, LOL

Seriously though with the gear I have here I have not had to go out or shop for the last 2/3 weeks and I have enough to last a couple of months,

I tried to warn my Brother about this and he said that I didn't need all this stuff and now they are limiting him as to what he can Buy and is having to go shopping every couple of days when he should be self Isolating which is not good when you think that he has a Brain Tumour and his other half is a Diabetic, :Y:

My first aid kit

Plus I know how to use it

1585403631_img_20200328_143508_copy_2432x1368.jpg

Goody

Latest posts